"Modernizing" the 348 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Modernizing" the 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Scaledetails, Mar 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Stephane, PM sent.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I may have a spare set of SS rear end caps from when I had mine.

3. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Sorry, but I like the original rear horizontal slats look better. Just my opinion, FWIW.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ....it got prettier?.... ;)

5. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Poor deluded chap. No issue with the former poster refering to the 348 as ugly. He's wrong, obviously, but no snags at all, his opinion. It's not generally what people say when they see my car, maybe they're just being kind :)

Regarding this 'mod', sorry not for me at all. If I'm being perfectly honest it looks like the grill fell off. We didn't get SS models here in the UK - we got GTSs and GTBs at the end of the production run, so the look isn't something we'd be used to seeing. Probably why it just looks all wrong to me.

6. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    PM sent

7. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I understand that. Here is what I figured out. I've owned 4 Testarossas and 5 348's, so this may explain why I am so tired of seeing the rear slats. Aside from needing counseling, I love the new change and it feels great to me. ;)

8. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    +1 lol....don't we all? :D

9. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #34 348Jeff, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    #35 pnicholasen, Mar 20, 2013
  11. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    oh my god - you are going to destroy one of the most beautiful cars!

the spoiler is terrible and if you like the 355 looks better, why dont you buy a 355?

i will never understand people doing things like that. its like painting a mustache on the mona lisa!

12. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    #38 Quadcammer, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    settle down chief. Its his car, he can paint it bright pink with orange wheels and a baby blue interior if he wants it that way.

Perhaps what he did is what the ferrari should have been TO HIM.

In other words, do whatever you want (or not) to your car and mind your business.

14. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    That's all fine and good but when terms like "how it should have been" are used the poster is clearly going beyond his personal taste objective.

Maybe "how I like it" is a more appropriate term.

"How it should have been" is a lot more arrogant.

Kai

15. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Guys, settle down :)

Look some like it, I personally hate it (there again, I've got no taste). The guy posted up a mod and said "what do you think?" If we all mind our own business it'd be an awful lonely thread :)

I'm actually with Jeff who posted earlier. Not a great fan of the lights, grill's not so bad so this mod was never going to be up my street. But who cares? He likes it.

P.S. Who told you about my upcoming paint job?!?

16. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Please, no one get their knickers in a knot just yet. Not sure if the spoiler will stay or go myself... it was an exercise in working with fiberglass and aluminum and improving my painting skills. Besides, if I wasn't adventurous, you wouldn't have my videos on timing belt replacement, homemade exhausts etc to laugh at.
    I will throw a bit of gas in the fire: I don't claim that most of my projects have improved on Pininfarina's excellent work, but IMHO the air inlet added under the starboard side fog light really is an improvement. But hey, each to his own!

17. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Regarding the extra inlet - not really required because Pininfarina meant it to have black sills and the single one doesn't show that much. :)

Regarding the spoiler, cosmetic or functional? If functional, rather than adding downforce to the rear you could try killing lift instead by using an arch spoiler similar to the ones on 328s. That said, I'd think pushing the rear down on a 348 is a bad idea at high speed; if anything some go light on the nose and that really isn't going to help.

I think some just take exception at the "this is how a 348 should look" angle. It's not a bad looking car overall, I really like them myself. I'm not sure I've ever seen an exterior mod I really like. But then I'm clearly a hypocrite as my interior is a bit 'blinged up' and not that standard. Each to their own, I say.

18. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Thanks for the input everyone. Keep the comments coming. I agree that I went a little too far on my "should have been" comment. Call it occupational hazard, as I design parts for Ferrari model cars full time. I would never question the work of Pininfarina, ever, or I would not be on my 29th Ferrari.
    Aside from that, my initial idea was to remove the grille with one main objective which was to see the polished exhaust. Once this is done I will post photos, hopefully I will be happy with the end result. One of the things I loved about my Testarossas was the ability to see the polished exhaust muffler through the rear slats and that was so sexy.
    As for the other mods posted, I like them and individuality isn't always bad, afterall, it is still a Ferrari.
    Michael Platzer, there is only one Mona Lisa, and it will remain in the Louvre, untouched.
    Not too far from you is Koenig. They did some serious mods on a lot of Ferraris, and like some of us, they wanted to express their work and in their eyes improve upon already beautiful artwork. They did very well. To each his own.

19. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Interesting. I like it, but I'd drop the stock wheels. To me they do not do justice to your modifications. I think the 360 wheels would look better on your car, even than the 355 ones.

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think the HRE 505 would look really good on a 348. They have that 288gto/Testarossa look. A 348 with 355 wheels is really close to a 512TR, they're almost hard to tell apart in pictures if you can't see the rear of the car. That's not a bad thing at all, imo. For some reason I'm not big on the 360 wheels on 348, maybe it's the sticking out of the rear wheel well 'hot rod' look that just doesn't work for me.

21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #46 Scaledetails, Mar 20, 2013
    Since we're on the wheels subject, here are a couple of my favorite samples I recently had.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I've always thought a sort of 'one generation up' rule works pretty well when it come to Ferrari wheels. A 348 looks pretty good with 355 wheels, 360 wheels on a 348 look a bit much to me. 355 can get away with 360 wheels but to my eye anything more looks a bit over done. 360 looks pretty good with 430 wheels and so on.

Clearly just to my eye but that's how I see it.

23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree that the standard 360 wheels can look a little over done, however the 360 CS wheels seem pretty cohesive with the side strakes. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

24. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Not sure about the wheels but love the blue exteriors

25. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    #50 pnicholasen, Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, I was never a big fan of the stock wheels, but for some strange reason I really like them in the gold tone.