Modification of "Race" mode in CS/"Sport" Mode in 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Modification of "Race" mode in CS/"Sport" Mode in 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Giallo77, Apr 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #26 eric355, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    I have not implemented this mod on my car (yet!) but I don't think it is difficult at all.
    How does it work?
    Basically (from the wiring diagram):
    - the Race button (Sport for the Modena) is connected to the suspension ECU (pin9 of connector 9C), and only to the suspension ECU
    - the suspension ECU has an output (pin 15 of connector 9C) which copies the Race button information to the dashboard, and only the dashboard
    - the dashboard tells to the other ECUs (TCU, ABS/ASR, Motronic (?), ..) what is the mode through the CAN bus.

The key of the mod is to cut the output of the suspension ECU, and to install an additional switch on the wire which goes to the dashboard. One should check what is the logic and the required voltages before doing the mod, to know if the switch must be grounded or connected to +12V or any other voltage level (eg. 5V)

Also, IMHO, I would prefer to have the original button connected to the dash to command all the other ECUs, and a dedicated "soft/hard" switch for the suspension ECU. Not really more difficult, just a bit more work because one would have to cut also the input of the supension ECU, to connect it to the new switch.

2. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Thanks Eric, does sound straightforward - just need to make sure the voltage is correct - who wants to be the guinea pig :)

3. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    I have a spare dashboard on which I can (re-)check but I am almost sure that grounding the dashboard input, after having disconnected it from the suspension ECU, is OK.

4. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Nik
    Hi all, new to the forum but v interested in this thread.

I'd like to do exactly the same mod, and would like it to be a discrete switch without any cutting/ etc of the existing trim.

I don't think the UK spec cars have any spare rocker switches in the dash, so I guess this would have to be a new switch ?

Anyone else have any thoughts on the location ?

Eric, I agree with your last comment about just being able to control the suspension ECU totally independently.

Otherwise, the switch would only 'block' the suspension ECU from knowing that all the other components were in race mode. Is that correct ?

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mine's originally a UK car - it has two switch blanks behind the petrol cap and bonnet release switches. Install there?

6. TLX

TLX Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    I'm very interested in this too.

The drivers' manual says that the dampers have 3 modes - soft, medium & hard. You're in soft any time you're going less than 20MPH, then it switches to medium, then hard when the sport/race button is switched.

I'd love to have a 3 position switch so I could choose which of these 3 damper settings to use - then if I use the sport button it would do everyhing it does now except stiffen the suspension.

I really want to be able to select soft, as most of our single carriageway roads here in the UK are quite rough (since we ran out of money & can't afford to mend them any more) & the car suspension in normal mode is just too stiff to drive safely & quickly in the rain. I'd like to be able to drive in the wet with the suspension softer than it is now & the ASR in the sport setting.

7. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    Has anyone done this? Any updates

8. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    Great modification if anyone can get a dummy proof DIY.

Stef or Trent are the guys to consult.

9. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    since I have the Scuderia center carbon fiber console in my F430, and I have the button for suspension settings on it (not connected), does anybody know if this can be done on regular F430? would be great using race manettino position and suspensions in soft mode...

10. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #35 eric355, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally I have implemented a separate switch to select the suspension mode, independently of the other ECUs, on my 360.
    The added switch is a 360 Sport switch on which I put a damper symbol from a 456 switch. I modified the switch to put inside a yellow LED (in place of the green one used to illuminate it at night) and wire it as a suspension mode light.
    In the process I discarded the de-frosting switch (that I never use anyway) and I moved the ASR switch close to the other 2 control buttons.

It works exactly as I explained in post #26.

Find below the strandard and the modified electrical diagrams, and some pictures, to illustrate the mod. The suspension ECU that I use is a CS one (198308) which is a bit firmer than the standard one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

benporter likes this.
  11. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Nicely done, Eric!

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Agreed. Very nicely done!

13. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Thanks, Guys!

14. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I have been wanting to do this for a while, thank you for pull out the information together!

15. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Is there a graphical pin layout of the connector available so I know which pins to add the switch to? Also where is the suspension ecu located in the car.
    Thanks!

16. Gcolella

Gcolella Rookie

Jul 30, 2017
    New york
    Is the suspension ecu under the front bonnet or accessed through the passenger side by the glove box(left hand drive car) ?
    Just to be sure the signal needs to be a ground correct ?

17. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    It's the ecu under the glove-box mounted on the inner wheel arch.