Moisture in oil | FerrariChat

Moisture in oil

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Jan 24, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    During the winter months in Dubai I drive my TR probably every 2nd weekend. Every time it goes out, I warm it up first for a few minutes, by the time I reach the highway from my storage area some oil temperature is showing on the gauge.

I do not push it too hard (too many speed cameras) but probably drive 120-140 km/h about 20 min each way to breakfast. Maybe one or two runs up the tach for fun. I always believed that an 80 km round trip in warm weather on the highway is enough to get the oil fully warm. The gauge never shows above 90 Celsius for oil or 80c for water, even in city traffic.

While checking the oil level last weekend after such a drive I noticed a tiny bit of water vapor (steam) coming from the oil tank and a few tiny drips of water on the dipstick.

The oil temperature never uniformly reaches 100c, so how exactly does one get rid of water condensation in the oil? Longer drives at higher rpm?

No, I have no head gasket or water pump seal issues. I do not even have water in the cooling system (I have run Evans NPG for the last decade and there is no oil in the coolant). Oil does get changed annually on all my low use cars (for this very reason).

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when did you the last oil change?

same problem I once had with my old VW beetle ( air cooled ) even the oil was getting warm always. it was terrible moisture stuff like water ( but it was an air cooled engine ) at the oil cap.

I think at the TR it has something to do with the large oil reservoir canister and the large engine block with the gearbox to get warm. when there the oil not getting more than 100 °C then the humidity inside never will get out and new condensation will appear.
    I not know the streets there, but try to drive with higher rpm´s, may be disconnect the fan from the oil cooler and also from the radiators but keep the temperature gauge still in your eyes. as I see it your engine not will get warm enough
    or let all connected and go for 30 minutes on a race track and power the car. but after a short time you may stopn and check the oil level. not that there i sso much water inside that this water boiled and disappeared and the oil level goes dramatically down.

please post a photo of the color of this oil-water mixture.

3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks - the oil is just clean, clear and golden. It is just unusual to see steam rising from the oil tank after a reasonably long drive.

I change the oil and filter every year around this time, usually that means approximately 2500 km. The desert air can get humid here, so maybe that is a cause.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this I always have with my BB and with my competition, not unusual for me
    and when the oil looks good then not have to worry :)

you may put engine oil in your wifes frying pan and will see at about 70-80 ° C there comes steam a little. but not let her know that you used her pan. I once used my mom´s pan and the whole kitchen smells because I tested some higher temperatures with up to 210°C and then the oil started to burn. just put the pan lid on, but the kitchen smells more than 2 weeks. I enjoyed the smell, not so my mom :(

red27 and 71veedub like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    With no oil cooler thermostat it is an unavoidable fact of life. Except sometimes rust on the bottom of cap or top of dipstick it does no harm. It will also get goop in the breather hose from tank to back of airbox.

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    To avoid damaging my wife's pans I always cook with Mobil 1.

I went through the experience of repairing cracked cylinder heads on my Porsche 996 where oil got into the coolant, which makes me a little sensitive to such things. Still, Testarossa oil is getting changed after a long drive this weekend.

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree with Brian. I've been dealing with this for 24 years. Occassional chocolate goop on the dipstick lid and from the breather hose in the airbox. 24 years and it never changes. Think about that.