Mondial 3.2 Cab in upstate NY | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Cab in upstate NY

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by kevinkw, Oct 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Been looking for a 3.2 Coupe lately, and since there aren't that many of the around, started to look at the cabs just a bit to get a bearing on the market.
    Ended up talking to the owner of this 1988 Mondial 3.2 Cab with 67K miles in upstate NY. Major done at 60K miles 3 or 4 years ago. Needed rear passenger window work, and AC as well. Just sold it last week for $25K to someone in GA.
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=440531473
    Congrats to the new owner, and hope to see you on the forum!

2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Hi Kevin

Finding a 3.2 US Spec Coupe may be a challenge. Far more Cabs were imported than Coupes.

However, I'd urge you to keep at it. I own a QV coupe, and I think the Coupes are Fantastic!!!! There's nothing wrong with the Cabs, I am just biased towards the Coupes!!

Here's a list compiled by another Fchat member showing the number of coupes imported.

Good luck with your search. Either Coupe or Cab, you'll be happy!

Sid

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Might be selling my coupe. Its a black metallic/tan 88. Last one made for N.A
    26k on it. Has had extensive service from Bradan, few threads about it. Been so busy with work/ life to enjoy it or even post it for sale. Had it since 2002
    Dave

4. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    There is a dark blue QV coupe with light blue interior that has been for sale for a long time near Austin. It had a valve "event" that was fixed by Brian Crall (RIFLEDRIVER) but apparently it still has an overheating problem. Brian knows where to locate the car, if it's still for sale. Probably the cheapest QV coupe on the market.

5. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    That's the car but I suggest you speak to Brian about the deferred mtce and the overheating (head gasket apparently), which I don't believe have been attended to. The description is good fiction, if you are into that. (The seller admits to copying the ebay description from when he bought this car, so technically that's not his description, and legally you may not be able to hold him to it. In other words, "that's what the guy who sold it to me told me".).

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Also note the listings on that website are ancient history for the most part ... so the car may have found a new sucker er home.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    If the list price was 22K and the problems ethically disclosed, hoping the 'sucker' was able to talk the price down. If so - having a Mondial with just a bad head gasket and in needing of a 30K may have been a great buy -- again, depending if the buyer is able to factor this in the final sale price. I've seen laymen buy these cars miles away from any knowledgeable shops, and give up on em' with things as simple as a bad fuel pump, then sell them at fire-sale prices. There is a reason many exotic repair shops often make offers for Mondials, if for no other reason then a quick flip.

9. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Dave, very interested! Sent you a message.

paulchua likes this.
  10. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I've seen Dave's 3.2 up close and got to ride in it as well, a few years ago. It was definitely a gem!!

kevinkw likes this.