Mondial 3.2 Coupé #59769 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Coupé #59769

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 2281GT, Sep 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Markus

what was the issue with the switches?

btw thank you for pointing me back to your thread , oops I must have been missing it, because I just learned that I am not missing my cigarette lighter either .......now to figure out if mine works

Im in lust for your luggage though!

great thread!

2. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #127 2281GT, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don, you know, that the following function of the button unit WOULD/SHOULD be normal:
    STOP >> fan OFF and all flaps CLOSED
    DEF >> Fan ON and upper flap (to the windscreen) OPEN
    A/E >> Fan ON and two upper flaps (windscreen and dashboard) OPEN
    A/C >> Fan ON , Climatecompressor ON and lower flap (kneecooling flap) OPEN

But my button unit has had two gremlins, electrical (A/E button) and under pressure (flaps), so that at DEF, A/E, A/C and STOP anytime only the lower flap was open and at DEF and A/C the climatecompressor was running and at STOP and A/E the fan was off.

I've got a new (used but quite new) button unit from Stefan (stekkefun4) out of a Mondial T and also fixed the under pressure problem (caused by a squashed underpressure pipe).
    Now the system runs again, opens and closes all flaps, switches on and off the fan and the climatecompressor ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Thanks for the info I will check mine for proper function!

4. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Question:

The under pressure ducts ...

From the engine to the reservoir, from the reservoir to the button unit and the central unit.

Second part is no problem, but ...

Where to get the under pressure out of the engine into the reservoir ?
    Can anyone share photo(s) where to connect the under pressure duct at the engine ?

Thanks for any help !

5. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #130 2281GT, Sep 7, 2016
    problem solved, Thanks again to Stefan (stekkefun4) !

The two ducts seen at the picture (one for the under pressure control of the vent flaps and one for the control of the ignition) have been short-circuit together !!!

6. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #131 2281GT, Sep 9, 2016
    Reassembling continues ...

Dashboard back in ... centre console back in ...

Special Thanks to Ron Frohock for his perfect fitting http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/388637-mondial-center-vent-foam-rebuild-kit.html

Final electrical testing to come, anything else is running fine.

I've just ordered a spare electronic unit box from Stefan - just to be sure. IF there would be any electrical gremlin left, the box will be changed.

7. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #132 2281GT, Sep 21, 2016
    After about 6 weeks at the garage, today the first testdrive ...
    (nearly) everything works fine and I am very happy !

btw ... with the correct connection of the underpressure ducts for the ignition timing the car runs like hell !!! today I've seen (for a short time at the Autobahn) more than 260 km/h at the odo !!!

8. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #133 2281GT, Jan 12, 2017
    too early happy ...

The Fan control unit has another gremlin >> to be changed
    The heating control unit has another gremlin >> to be changed
    The complete Wiring harness of the climate control unit is rotten >> to be changed

I'm happy to have ordered the parts earlier, just to be sure if necessary, but the Fan control unit is NLA, so I've ordered the Fan control unit from Ricambi america to be delivered next week.

Besides those gremlins, the rest of the electrical system has got a few more gremlins, like parkinglights without function, rearwindow heating knob without function and so on.

...to be continued

9. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #134 2281GT, Jan 27, 2017
  10. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #135 2281GT, Feb 1, 2017
    The (probably) last gremlin is fixed, really everything is working fine and I'm finally VERY HAPPY.

Very interesting, that the socket of a NLA Relay has been the main-problem.

The NO contact relay at the HVAC (SIPEA 0440) is not longer available, so it was replaced by a Changeover relay (Bosch 0332209151). But the connectors at the socket are different between this two different types of relays ! The connctor 87 and 87a have to be changed that the heating valve runs correctly.

Now the Heating/Climatecontrol runs as it should run. It changes between heating (heating valve OPEN, climate compressor OFF) and cooling (heating valve CLOSED and climate compressor ON) in relation to the temperature Sensors and the Temp-Potentiomertre. The climate-contol-central-unit is telling the ratio of time in wich the changing between hot and cold has to be done. Because of the only ON/OFF variation of the heating-valve and the climate-compressor the temperature only can be regulated by changing the cycle of switching one and/or the other ON or OFF.
    On maximum heating, the valve is OPEN and the compressor is OFF
    On warm but not hot heating, the valve opens and closes many times and the compressor switches ON and OFF only sometimes.
    On mid temperature the valve and the compressor switch approx. at the same frequent ON and OFF (e.g. OPEN and CLOSED).
    On Cold but not frostcold, the valve opens only sometimes and the compressor often but not everytime.
    On maximum cold, the valve is closed and the compressor runs all the time.

It's a simple but effective way to regulate the temperature only by changing the cycle of switching.

11. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    That's wonderful, I am very happy for you. That must have been quite a crusade!

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great Job!!! Enjoy!

13. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #138 2281GT, Feb 2, 2017
    Even with the original SIPEA 0440 Relay the wiring is not correct, because the Pin on wich the brown-white-striped cable has to be connected to is NOT the Pin at the right side of the Relay (Pin 87), but the Pin at the centre of the Relay (Pin 87a).

All the wiring diagrams - even the original Ferrari factory wiring diagrams - show a wrong type of Relay or a wrong wiring, that only runs with a type of Relay that is NOT available anymore.

IF you would get a NO Contact Relay with Pin 87a at the right side of the Relay, the Harness would be correct wired, but that kind of Relay don't exist anymore, it was available until 1995/1996.

Cable (Brown-White) connected to the Pin at the right side >> WRONG
    Cable (Brown-White) connected to the Pin at the centre >> CORRECT

btw. That all shows, that the electronic central unit did NOT cause the problems, neither the "old" one nor the "new" one, but in total there have been the following faults at my Mondial:
    1. Fan regulator rotten, only at the short circuit (maximum power) connected, no possibility to regulate
    2. Temperature regulator rotten, wobble contact in the potentiometer
    3. Power transistor rotten, no function
    4. Underpressure Lines connected wrong, no ignition adjustment, no under pressure to run the flaps for air conditioning
    5. Pushbutton unit rotten, no electrical switching ON/OFF
    6. Main electrical (Fusebox, Relays,Cableconnectors) Problems of different type

Today it's the first day, I can really claim that EVERYTHING on my Mondial is running as it should be on the first day she was delivered new.

And - for sure - that makes me VERY happy, because the Mondial is a GREAT car and I really love her.

14. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    After checking the whole car again completely, the hand brake cable seemed to be rotten. Sometimes the hand brake shuts and releases again, but sometimes not. Problem was the duct, the cable routing, wich was knicked and broken. A new cable complete with routing was mounted and the hand brake runs as it should.

I hope (and be sure), that this was the last gremlin in my Mondial.
    Next Trip will be about 800 km / 500 Miles End of April. I will report about it ...

15. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #140 2281GT, Mar 16, 2017
    Yesterday was the day of Testdriving. About 150 km / 95 mls of flat, curvy streets of northern germany.
    Everything runs fine ! Climatecontol switches ON/OFF, runs perfectly, regulates the temperature, the cooling and the heating. Everything else is also running fine, no more electrical gremlins left - so far. I hope, that the odyssee of electrical Problems is over now.

I'm very happy !

16. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #141 Bertocchi, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    I have been working on a 3.2 Cabriolet for quite some time now. My latest project has been the A/C system. I have converted it to 134a. The compressor works nicely and the pressure readings are good.
    All the foam and panels around the condenser were missing and have now been replaced.
    My problem is I can't seem to turn off the heat and/or close the heater control valve. The heater remains on under all conditions.
    Can you advise me what steps are needed to remedy this condition? Could this be the relay you have just described?

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #142 Wade, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    The heater control valve is open as the default, so maybe it's stuck that way. Or the cabin temp switch is disconnected or disabled.

For example, beginning with Post # 25 here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/329993-how%92s-your-mondials-c-working-2.html

18. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yes, IMO it's exactly the problem, I've had.

WRONG:
    Turning the car/ignition/power OFF, the valve closes, turning the car/ignition/power ON, the valve opens. That was the problem at my car and it was caused by the wrong wiring (see post #135 and #138).

CORRECT it should be:
    NO Power on the relay >> valve OPEN
    Power on the relay >> valve CLOSED , the relay is (temporary) disconnecting the power to open (temporary) the valve. You will hear the "clicking" of the valve (open > closed > open > closed) with different frequency in addition of the temperature.

Just try the simple changing of the connector 87 and 87a , you can't kill anything.

19. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The temperature rheostat is connected. The relay does not appear to be on the relay panel...where do I find it?

20. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    See post #121 , second picture

21. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I found the relay and rewired the connector. I also replaced the relay with a Bosch 151.
    When the engine is cold the A/C blows cold but as the engine warms the air from the duct increases in temperature.
    I'm not hearing any "clicking" of the valve open and close? I'm also not able to late the temp sensor.

22. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
  23. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #148 Bertocchi, Jul 17, 2017
    I am guessing this is the evaporator temperature or heater temperature sensor. It too is reading over 9K ohms and was tucked up under the dash.

24. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #149 Alden, Jul 17, 2017
    Here is a pic with the relays indicated.

Some folks have found the relays in the incorrect positions and someone found the wiring TO one relay was incorrect. Italians! Wadda ya gonna do?
    Alden

25. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Thanks, I found those and sorted them out. I'm now under the passenger's foot well looking at the control units.