Mondial 3.2 - new to me - questions | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 - new to me - questions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Lenvo65, May 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    #1 Lenvo65, May 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in my third week of ownership of a 1986 Mondial 3.2 Cab and have a few questions for those more informed than me:

1) Boot for top is a bit old and brittle, I am thinking of having local auto upholstery shop reinforce it at the most distressed points, which are primarily where the clips are the hold it down. To this point it is missing a few of these clips, any ideas on where to buy replacements for them?

2) The tach was rebuilt by the seller before I bought the car, but still is "jumpy", particularly between 4,000 & 5,000 RPM. Is this common and is there some sending unit or part other than the tach itself that effects this, or should I have the mechanic that did the work for the seller return the tach to the re-build shop and tell them to try again?

3) In the wet (we have had a lot of rain) it seems like i have a misfire in one or more cylinders, but in the dry she is smooth as a kitten, one again is this common, or is it worth the cost of looking to replace spark plug wires, etc to cure this?

Given all the rain on the east coast I have not had her out as much as I would like and only have pictures from the dealer (one attached) but will hopefully have the chance to take some sunny top down pics this weekend and post them to my profile.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    Congrats on your 3.2.. They're pretty fun to cruise around in.

Idea on the rain issue... Check your spark plug boots and extensions on the front cylinder bank.. water may drip down and cause an intermittent short.

just a thought.

Cheers,
    James

3. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Did you mean buttons with the pull up tab to hold the cover in place? Dan at Ricambi has them. I think they are about 18 bucks each......not cheap but cheaper than anywhere else. The missing is not normal so check your wires. If you have records check to see how old they are and if still original replace them!
    Rebuild the tack cause mine doesnt jump at all.

Welcome and nice car!

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Send it to Palo Alto Speedometer to be fixed. The best in the business. Period.

http://www.paspeedo.com/

5. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    #5 rfking, May 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm working on week three of my Mondial 3.2 as well. Drive it everywhere - work - grocery store - car shows. Ours could be sisters.

I'm having a ball. Spent a good bit having the A/C completely redone - Makes a big differerence on days like today - nearly 100 degrees here in Alabama. It was nice and cool inside.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    Jack thanks for the note - the mechanic that did the work on the car told me it went to Palo Alto Speedometer for its rebuild, in fact I had to wait an extra week for the tach to come back before I could pick up the car. I am thinking I need to send it back out to them to check again, unless there is another part that is causing the problem and its not the tach itself.

Len

7. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Lucky me - right up the road!

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The boot fasteners can also be purchased from a dealer. I bought mine for $15 each at Ferrari of San Francisco.

9. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    I happened to be in Salt Lake City for business and stopped at the Ferrari dealer to say hi to the owner. I happened to see the boot fasteners and bought a few for ~$19.

All the best,
    cg