Mondial 3.2 tachometer problems....help! | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 tachometer problems....help!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by CliffBeer, Jun 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    The tachometer on my '88 3.2 Mondial has a problem - it reads about 1/3 the actual rpm. In other words, idle reads about 300rpm and 70mph reads about 1,100 rpm. Anybody have any idea why the tach started reading this way all of a sudden? Worked just fine/accurately the prior time I ran the car about a month ago. Battery is fully charged. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Brief addition to the above... I measured the resistence at the pin connector to the magnetti/marelli control box for the engine speed sensor at it's right around 500 ohms which I believe is in the right range. So, this makes me think it's not a fault of the sensor but rather something more towards the tach itself. Anyone else ever have this problem??? Thanks.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I would agree that it is probably the indicator, as the indicator takes the signal directly off the 3.2's single Microplex ignition ECU (located left rear lower firewall). If the engine is running well, then perhaps the problem is more toward the indicator.
    Prior to removing the indicator, I would try removing the connector from the Marelli ECU at the firewall, cleaning the contacts, firmly re-seating the connector and re-checking.
    Good luck!

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    It's the tach. There is a trimmer potentiometer for calibration on the pc board in the tach and the wiper carbon gets dirty. Stabilant to the rescue! If that doesn't fix it, replace the pot. N. Hollywood or Palo Alto Speedo can do it.

5. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hi - thanks! I'll check it out and apply some stabilant where appropriate. Noticed you're a Lola fella - I'm buying a GT40, also designed by Eric Broadlee, should be a great car with all the US hp in such a small and lightweight chassis.

6. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Thanks, good advice. Just did that exact drill tonight and unfortunately it's still reading funky. It wasn't a waste of time however as the contacts at the connector did look a little corroded....and, I got to tighten up the emergency brake adjuster while I was in the neighborhood of the Marelli unit! Thanks again!

7. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    The seller suppossedly sent the Tach out to Palo Alto speedo to be rebuilt and on the drive home it seemed to work fine, but now the it jumps are over the place especially when I get above 4,000 RPM - I will have to try the above recommended contact cleaning as well.

Two follow-up questions:

Where is a good place to by Stabilant? and How do you get the tach out of the dash?