Mondial 3.2 | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MondialNeil, Oct 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Why is it the majority of pictures taken of 3.2 mondials make them look so horrible but, when I go into my garage and look at mine it looks great nothing like the pictures I look at online.

2. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I agree, the Mondial isn't very photogenic, I can stare at one for hours in person, but photos just don't do it justice. Oh well.

3. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #3 rolindsay, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I like to stare at this one (mine). The Mondial looks quite nice when photographed straight side-on. Other views can make it appear blocky (for lack of a better term).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Rick that one looks dandy and looks A1 but other photos I have seen of the QVs are horrible just like the 3.2.

5. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Thanks Neil. You are absolutely correct. Most Mondial photos are REALLY bad. And you know, the 360 Modena doesn't photograph well - at least not by amateurs. In person it is one swoopy, hot machine.

6. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #6 rolindsay, Oct 19, 2009
  7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #7 PV Dirk, Oct 19, 2009
    Given enough time, I've come to enjoy even photos of my Mondial. The car builds up in the mind and emotions. It looks better and better each time I look at it. I've also found the engine sound is getting better the more I drive it. I'm hoping to put 600 miles on it this coming Saturday, hopefully I don't pass out from the excitement. Of course I only post the same two good photos I have of it. Time for some glamour shots.

8. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    #8 StanT, Oct 20, 2009
    One reason they photograph poorly is that wide front grille on the hood. When I had my 3.2 cab I had one custom fabricated that was modeled after the 512 BB (I think) and the 308, that had the ends behind the headlights filled in.

Mine is the car on the left.

9. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    That's pretty cool, Stan. Did you permanently alter the hood or did you fabricate a new grill insert with solid sides? Do you have any more photos?

Thanks.

10. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    Just a new grille insert. I bought one on ebay and had a friend help me do the layout. He had some of the work done at ERA (Cobra constructors), and then he painted it. Simple install with the 4, I believe, phillips screws.

I think it made the car look much better. I took it off and put the original back when I sold the car, and still have it in the garage. I can get it and post more photos soon.

11. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    #11 Max4HD, Oct 20, 2009
  12. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #12 jgoodman, Oct 30, 2009
    Love that pic. It's way better than this one, but I thought I'd post it. I think the key is to have these special cars photographed together. Here are two Italian delights together at a local restaurant called Italian Delight. The Italian owner of the restaurant practically had tears of joy seeing these fine machines in his parking lot!

13. Traveler

Traveler Rookie

Sep 30, 2009
    The visual glitch I keep noticing is that the rear wheel looks smaller than the front from nearly any angle. I'm sure a design person could explain why. Standing next to my car it's the same thing. I've even looked at the tire sizes to make sure they are the same.

14. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    That's because it is smaller. 225/50/16s on the rear with 205/55/16s on the front means that rear tire looks a bit small.....

15. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    #15 effer, Oct 30, 2009

I wouldn't say horrible but, for sure, like you, I think a Ferrari Mondial is always nicer in real life and no pictures can capture its true elegance while few can approach it.

I think we can explain this because in real life the Mondial shows an impressive volume distribution making it look like a real exotic sport car.

It is a three dimensional object and we try to appreciate/evaluate it with a 2D representation.

But let me show you these pictures which I believe they approach the Mondial true beauty ( you will notice that I included some Mondial T pictures ) :

The last picture gives you an idea of the caracteristic volume distribution of a Mondial comparing to a normal car ( see the white TL )

16. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    They all look superb, love the black panel around the indicators and brake lights on one of the above.

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks for posting my car, black above. It's fun to see it unexpectedly.

18. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    My pleasure!

You mean the nice/tan black 3,2 Cabriolet?

Did you sell it ? Your car is gorgeous and haven't bought mine I would have been very tempted!

19. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    one thing that makes them not so photogenic is they have a pretty high stock ride height. you can see from the pictures above, that when they are lowered, they look a lot better.

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #21 PV Dirk, Nov 1, 2009
    Yes, I have the black tan, actually for just a few months now. That picture was actually one of the sale ad pictures from the prior owner. I did trade out the wheels for the stock ones.

Side view compared to 348. The lighting was wrong to show off the lines on the black.

21. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    So does a 308, I agree, it is definately a plus on pictures to look at a lowered Mondial but in real life, it still looks nice with the stock ride height ... even though I will eventually lower mine!

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #23 snj5, Nov 1, 2009
  23. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal