Mondial 3.4T - Safety mode - no acceleration | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.4T - Safety mode - no acceleration

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Feb 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    One thing I have to ask you guys after I already did 100km with my freshly restored MT:

When driving it randomly switches over to some kind of safety mode. Here are the symptoms:

- No acceleration: gone for 90% and the car drives like a LADA
    - The car won't go harder than the speed at which the safety modes kicks in, but is still drivable
    - When stopping e.g. at the lights and the engine goes below 1000RPM, the engine always stalls
    - This safety mode stops after x seconds or x minutes and the car behaves OK again
    - When in that safety mode, I turn the engine off and restart, which always solves this issue. Some km later it may re-appear.

Any idea what can cause this?

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I think you can "reset" the main ECU by disconnecting the battery overnight (you want the engine to be completely cooled down), then start up with no throttle and no accessories on, let it idle til it warms up (the fans going on is a good indicator that it has warmed up). The no throttle part is important. The ECU relearns the cold start/warm up cycle.

Make sure the cat ECU's connections are all cleaned up and tight. Also double check all the engine ground connections. Might be some intermittent ground connection issues that the bumping around of driving causes.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Does your t have the Motronic 2.5 or 2.7 ?

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think your Cat protection thermos couple kicked in and shut down the one bank.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Probably a Euro car so maybe no cats?

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, it has cats. I assume it may have something to do with the part nr 142581 Control Station for exhaust.

The difference in engine sound is not big when this mode kicks in, so I don't have the impression that one banks stops working. On the other hand, when switching the ignition to 'on', I sometimes see the dashboard warning indicator for bank cyl 5-8 lighting up. But that warning disappears in a couple of seconds again.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Mondial's flatcrank engines run quite smoothly on one bank, but not much power. They are really two independent 4 cylinder engines, twinned to make a v8. The cat ecu's are known to fail, but they are also prone to being sensitive to loose connectors and poor grounds. That's why you should be thorough in ruling out these more easy fixes.

8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Thanks for the tip, I will inspect that tomorrow