Mondial 8 engine front cover removal | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 engine front cover removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mondial86-71, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial86-71

Mondial86-71 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lippincott
    Hello enthusiast
    Fixing oil leak out of forward drive cam has turned into pulling the front cover plate.kinda shocked after pulling bearing with homemade bearing extractor using the ball method..actually came out pretty easy surprisingly. Removed the seal which was in horrible condition and noticed there is no stop for the seal to stop against on inner lit of cover..this was obviously done at factory before cover went on..my largest dear is pulling cover and how to manage the oil pump? Will it come off when cover is pulled? Will it Jack-in-the-box and shoot parts everywhere? I am elbow deep and a little assistance would be awesome! Anyone have any pictures of what to expect or a quick rundown on how to?
    Thanks
    Ryan Lippincott

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    What do you mean with " no stop for the seal to stop against on inner lit".....is that the retaining ring, nr 6 and 7 front and back of the bearing ? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Guido

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Oil pump will not disintegrate up on removal of the lid. But you have to find a way from inside the oil pan to disconnect the oil pump pick up tube attached to the bottom of the lid. That will be fun.

4. Mondial86-71

Mondial86-71 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lippincott
    Yikes..I just had the oil pan off two weeks ago to fix that leak..can you get to it from in the oil sump if the pan is off? The plate looks like it has not been removed "ever" is it difficult to pry apart?any tricks?all the studs and nuts are off and still seems to be pretty secure.
    Thanks Ryan