Mondial 8 or 308GT4? | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 or 308GT4?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Ken, Feb 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Personal preference aside, which would be a better car as far as reliability and maintainence issues? The FI of the Mondial is said to be iffy, as is the electrical. It's probably slower as well, but it's also newer. The GT4 would be an older car with carbs (both a good and bad thing), but I'm not aware of any specific problem areas outside of rust. Both cars seem to sell for similar prices for similar condition. (No, I'm NOT in the market so please don't email me offers!)

Ken

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    308 GT4 is less complicated than the 8, as long as you know how to work with carbs.

And yes, the 8 has electrical issues.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    It's such a tough choice! Both are cool. As the owner of a Mondial, I really like them. But then again, I WANT a GT4. I think it's probably a matter of personal preference with regard to looks. I think the GT4 is absolutely awesome looking in person, but for some reason it doesn't photograph well. The GT4 is reputed to have outstanding handling characteristics, though I have never driven one.

The CIS injection on the Mondial is actually pretty reliable, the difference being that when it dies, it's hard to sort out. Carbs are far less likely to die in such a way that the car will not run at all. They just slooooowly go out of synch so that you don't notice the change until finally you realize it and have to pull the airbox and tweak them again. Takes an hour and you're good for 2 more years!

The Mondial has the typical electrical gremlins of Ferraris of this age. I would bet that the GT4 (if its anything like the GTB/GTS) is the same, but the electrics are just simpler than the Mondial. (I have never understood the need to make everything on the Mondial so "electrical". I mean, do you REALLY need an electric gas cap release and coolant level sensor? Ugh.)

If I had the garage space and the budget for another Ferrari, I would certainly buy a GT4. I love them. But the Mondial is a great great family Ferrari. It's sharp looking, but doesn't draw too much attention, it has decent back seats for the kids, and it's great to drive. I have a QV, and it's pretty peppy too.

Birdman

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's really two versions of the same car.....seperated only by time.

Same issues there as the Carb non cat vs. QV/328 debate!

The later Mondials do a much better job with rear seat ergonomics, IMO.
    It depends on what you actually are going to put back there!

Golf clubs vs. kids debate goes here:

A 308GTB A/C control panel is $34.
    A 328GTB A/C control panel is $200.

Stuff like that.......those numbers are not real, but meant as example only.....

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  6. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I think that the difference between the 2 models in terms of reliability is less than the difference between a good and bad car of either model. The GT4 will need more servicing, but it will be cheaper. The Mondial is more likely to leave you stranded with a minor electrical fault.

7. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Good point David. A decent example with losts of reciepts from a "proper" owner will delight, a bad-un you'll regret for ages.... look at the black 8 that's just found it's way back onto e-bay after only a month or so!

I looked for nine months at both QV's and GT4's and finally decided the GT4 was the way to go. Got it three weeks ago and love it.

8. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Congratulations Richard on your GT4 purchase.Now lets see some pics of the car

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    GT4's when maintained to the highest standards will be very reliable. Look for the best example, keep on top of all the usual preventative maintenance items and you will have the better daily driver. Carbs keep their tune for quite some time (although they need to be tweeked for seasonal changes. I've noticed differences in driveability during the winter when the carbs were set-up the previous summer) and the addition of aftermarket electronic ignition extends the service interval of that item (the advance mechanism still needs lubing/adjusting once in a while though. Every couple of years). After that, no other issues (regular oil/fluid changes, clean the spark plugs and gap 'em if need be, etc...).

Only problem is finding a very nice one for sale... Those ones, the owners won't let go of them!

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Yes, please show us! :)

11. ejpoulsen

ejpoulsen Karting

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    My 2 cents:

The gt4 is much more aggressive looking in the flesh than the mondial. The gt4 exterior and interior (with the cool aluminum dash) really offer a great retro exotic car look and feel. It's pure 70s sports car. The Bertone styling--which I like--reminds me of a mini-countach, only with excellent visibility. So far I've found it quite simple mechanically and thrilling to drive.

The mondial looks much tamer and the interior is far more modern looking. Everything seems to be electronic, for better and for worse. I've not driven the mondial, but I believe that the the mondial 8 has less HP than the gt4 and the mondial 32 has more HP. The overall aesthetic (inside and out) of the mondial is much more modern than the gt4.

At this point, I doubt either will go down in value. A lot more nice mondials are around than gt4s. Overall, I think the gt4 offers a more raw experience compared to the refinements of the mondial.

12. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    I don't really know if anyone on this chat can TRULEY be non-biased to some degree. Some people obviously don't care for the GT4 for what ever reason. No problem. It was good enough for Enzo, who set up the seating and ergonomics himself, but who the heck was he anyway? He had the factory tool up and make the cars in the same shop along side the rest of them at the same time. But I guess some folks think they know better? I think a lot of cars have a similar look to the GT4 is some way or another. Most won't admit it though. The Mondials are cool to. I think they have a differnt look to them also. Only in thier own way. Mechanicly speeking at least in cars, any cars in general. The less complecated both mechanicly and eletronicly the less problems you will have. Logicly speeking anyway. My advice for what its worth is...Go with your heart, which of the two REALLY says ...yea man thats MY Ferrari!!! Thats truley the best way to go. Hey thier Ferrari's after all, how can you go wrong?

good luck and enjoy whatever YOU decide

Kurt

There is nothing like a Ferrari, there never has been and never will be!

13. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks Maurice and Peter,

The car is a Series 2 but oddly with 6.5" S1 wheels running 205/70/14's. I've just bought a set of 7.5" five spoke cromodora which I'm going to put new (same size) tyres on.... then I'll be happy to post a picture or two... watch this space.

p.s. just how over was the figure of 255bhp for euro cars? Mines just been serviced, 43k miles, no abuse ('til now) and I'd guess 210bhp. Thoughts?

14. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
  15. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    The GT4 has much more of a "classic" Ferrari interior. It looks & feels 60's to me. The Mondial (which I have) is sort of "clunky modern" inside (and out?) and lacks the same raw sports-car ambience. IMO the GT4 is a fab funky beast, & I tried hard to find a good one but couldn't.

The biggest difference however is ... INTERIOR ROOM.
    If you're wanting a V8 2+2, which is what these cars are, then the GT4 just can't deliver any rear seat room. I mean its seriously "babies only" in the rear apart from a quick drive around the block. There just ain't any legroom there unless the driver is a legless hobbit.

The Mondial is a fair dinkum traveller for 4 people (at least for teenager size). The GT4 isn't.

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The Italians are reknowned for being optimistic when posting HP figures... ;)

17. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Geek, you're right about rear legroom. I'm 5'11" ish and don't mind driving in a "short-legged" style, but still have to put the seat forward one more notch to accomodate my winging 4 year olds in the back......!

Maurice, thanks for bhp graph, and yes Peter, them Italians did embelish somewhat when it came to output. I'm sick of Civic Type R's and Cupra Sports etc from the lights, but have noticed how timid they are when the corners come?

18. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Richard
    I find my 3 early teen daughters (and their friends) have become very adept at requiring no legroom at all if it means they can arrive in the GT4 as opposed to mum's Peugeot! They now even request the windows be lowered for tunnels and under bridges...

I found the driving position immeasurably improved by one of Mr Hill's fine steering wheel spacers.

19. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi David,

Steering wheel spacer, like the sound of that. Where do I get one, and who's this Hill fellow? My sprogs are of the age where the colour of the car is more relevant if it matches this week's favourite Power Ranger...(I hate them)... the wife's silver Audi Avant even gets a look in! Think I need an extensive re-programing session with the kids. "Ferrari good, Audi dull"

Cheers, Richard

20. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    If you haven't already made up your mind - go for the GT4. They are sooooooo cool. That dash! I am sure at some point they are going to start climbing rapidly in value.

Best colour - yellow - saw one in yellow at last years FOC annual meet - looked just the business

21. marankie

marankie Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Agoura Hills, Calif
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I have had my fly yellow 75 308 gt4 for about 4 months now. After years of driving hot rod Porsches (still have Dual purpose track street 914-6 "GTR") this GT4 really satisfies. It has a Magaflow muffler and with the carbs it makes beautifull music especially above 5000 rpm. Being a '75 I didnt have to smog it (So Cal) which I think would be almost impossible. The car turns heads with the real sports car enthusiasts (not the 360 crowd). The styling details continue to fascinate. Same styling family as the Pantera, and some of the early Lambos. Look at the fender lines. They are very excentuated and modern. How about the bomerang detail behind the B pillars feeding ram air into the airbox and oil cooler. What a neat solution, both from a functional and aesthetics point of view. Also little details like the splitting of the duct to interior heating system but also a slit-off to feed cool air to front brakes. And how about the apprearance of the roll and tuck interior ecpecially on the rear seat. The car is nice and compact, and handles very well om Mulholland drive canyon runs, even with the 14" tires that I still have on the car. The rear seats are about as practicle as those in 911s. But who cares, when you need to haul the family get into your SUV.
    The Mondial looks taxi cab like heavy compared to the GT4, and gives up power (especially compared to and early GT4 with carbs and more aggresive cams), and is heavier.
    If you are looking for a sports car, for me the GT4 is the answer.
    Martin Jansen
    Agoura Hills,
    Ca

22. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Martin - very nicely put and I couldn't agree more...

Richard - have a look at www.hill-engineering.co.uk. I fitted the steering wheel spacer and am much more comfortable behind the wheel. Of course I also couldn't resist the pedals and a shiny gearknob - the concours purists may disagree but they give me an extra smile when I slip behind the wheel. Sad, aren't we! Excellent service from Paul Hill by the way.

23. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
    I concur.

Take you time and be patient if you are serious about a GT4, the good ones are REALLY hard to find.

24. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    I asked these same questions 10 yrs ago. After many talks with FOC and owners of both models.I went and bought a 308gt4 its more of a drivers car and the handling is probally one of the best in the F cars. I have since restored mine and uprated the handling drives fantastic now. Not a every day car, which the mondial is probally. You need to drive both to get the feel of what you like.

25. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael