Mondial 8 weird start issue -- relay related | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 weird start issue -- relay related

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, Apr 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    All,

I have a new to me Mondial 8 overall in great shape. Its been in storage for 10 years. Got it to start and did a few times around the block.

Now, I go to start and it did but turned off, then kinda cranks, then just doesn't. Battery is good.

Here is the weird part:

I removed the Starter Fuel Pump relay (its the Bosch 332204101) and in its place put another of the same type from elsewhere in fuse panel --- same behavior. BUT, I put a Bosch 0332014113 (the other type of relay in my fusebox) and IT CRANKS as soon as I turned the key one position. It does want to start but I turn it off ASAP. The relay is not the correct one and thus in key-on position that starter and fuel pump seems to be connected (would be bad to have engine running and starter motor on). HOWEVER, this does prove the starter/ignition works.

Thus, what gives? I tried cleaning connectors of course but have not tackled playing with the fusebox.

Anything else it can be?

(and of course I just ordered a full set of new relays but that does not seem to be the issue)

Thoughts?

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    First of all congrats! After 10 years, it's going to be very hard to fully diagnose since so many things could have gone by the wayside during that decade of rest. Did you make sure the fuel pump is in working order?

Best wishes to you.

3. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Pump worked last time car started; did not pull safety on fuel distributor this time but with the wrong relay there it just about started so I think good.

Any simple way to see if it’s the ignition switch inside the cabin?

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Daniel,
    You can put a wire between + (ev.+ battery) and the little connecter on the starter (white wire) with your key contact on position 1.
    Yes, you have to have acces under the car for this...or you might use the white wire on the back of key contact.
    Make shure your poke is in neutral and handbrake on....
    This should start your engine. If it does not start you have a solenoid on the starter or starter problem.Or bad negatif contact from engine with negatif battery.
    If it starts you have a problem in connection between fusebox, key contact and starter.
    PS : in case I make NEW cores for fuseboxes mondial 8...if you need more info just mail me [email protected]
    take a look also:: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/209843-sticky-mondial-8-qv-3-2-t-repair-thread.html

Guido

5. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks! Definitely the ignition switch! I took it out and apart, sprayed in cleaner and it worked instantly! but that only lasted a few more then it became intermittent again. Need a more permanent solution. Ignition pos 1 seems to work well. Maybe I will just add the switch you say and make it a push button start of sorts :)

However, next issue is that once car starts, it idles fine and rev's nicely to 5k no problem, but once warmer (I think) it turns off --- I cannot restart it unless I remove the safety switch, prime fuel pump, and then start. And it probably will do same. My driving attempts have been short and they end up in me pushing her home.

So, can it be the fuel pump is just not able to keep up? fuel filter? what does the fuel accumulator do?

D.

6. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Guido: one more thing, I think I want to install a push button. I suppose it should be temporarily contact the "white wire" you mention and then why not one of the +12v wires to the ignition switch...maybe one of the red wires to the ignition switch is +12v strong enough to use?

7. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I put my push button on the centre console (inside astray) and connected to the sigaret lighter red wire (there is always strong current). Then a direct wire to the small connecter extra big starter relay (next to the oil cooler) from there to negatif (engine massa). This is the activate line push button : see drawing on sticky treath.
    To activate the starter :
    The + connection from extra startrelais a toke at the big + on starter itself. and then back to the little connector on starter (where small white wire comes normaly).
    If you have solved this and still problems with running engine we look further...
    Accumulator : keeps pressure on fuel sistem when engine is shut off for a while. So hot start should be normal.
    To see if there is enough fuel fluid you can disconnect the outcoming fuelline on fuel distributor (line A in OM the one lower backside) and put it in a bottle. Disconnect green connector on fueldistributor and start car....there should be 1.000 cm3 fuel in 30 seconds.
    Other causes poor fuel delivery : - bad contact fuel pump (clean negatif to chassis or put extra 4mm2 wires from all your negatif chassis contacts to negatif battery).
    - voltage drop fuel pump, - min voltage working pump is min 11.5 V , - fuel filter dirty or trapped with fuel gely),
    Also you can remove head of fuel distributor and clean plunjer...dont drop that to the floor !

Guido

8. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Wow, many thanks! I have been reading up too and your suggestions are wonderful! Last night got it to start a few times but it still eventually dies and last time it was quite rough....so maybe injectors really-dirty too. When it was on for a while and warm, I pushed it to 5000 rpm and it sounded great. In short, I think I will try your suggestions as well as change some things:

-add push start button (ordered a nice color-matching one already)
    -add a simple switch so that can easily close/open the safety switch (instead of continually disconnecting/connecting the fragile plastic connector near the CIS system)
    -check fuel pressure (either as you say or with a fuel pressure gauge (I can get one for like $20)
    -inspect vent tube in back of accumulator to see if accumulator works (if gas comes out, then bad)
    -change fuel filter (still has original)
    -fuel check valve is inside the fuel pump in this model so cannot check; if the pressure is good (when pump is on and when off), then I guess fuel pump is good
    -change fuel injectors (already ordered)

also, I already cleaned connectors to
    -cold start injector
    -warm up regulator
    (but not sure if they are working; BTW, the car DOES not fast idle when cold; wants to stay around 800 rpm)

it will take me some time to do all...

also, just in case will inspect distributors and change spark plug cables, but only after fuel system job... it does not SEEM like an electric problem...

9. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Daniel,
    I dont know what area you live, but it can help to DISCONNECT the electro valve for cold start. Just take off that blue connector on the right side of the plenum.
    If there is to much fuel during start, sparks get wet and engine dies.
    Guido

10. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Live in Indiana, US. Car in garage but its around 30-50F now. So you think the cold start injector is injecting too much fuel? Hmm.

About the starter-button....why not simply put a momentary button between the "white wire" of the ignition switch and a +12 wire of the ignition switch (I think a red wire). I think the problem is in the switch itself, and not the wiring in general from switch to starter. thoughts?

where do you live? argentina/brasil/belgium? I am originally from Peru :)

11. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Disconnect cold start injector and see how it starts and runs after....cold start injector is only needed in lower temp. beneeth 20-25 F but this depends on many factors.
    Yes you can use 1 of the 2 on starter switch....all 2 are comming from fusebox.
    White wire :
    There is also a connection on the leftside engine in a multi connector. Check condition of contacts there. There is also a big red connector on the same side from the battery line thats goes to starter/alternator...check contacts.

I live in Argentina, Brasil and Belgium : always having summertime :rolleyes:

Guido

12. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Guido (and others): many thanks in advance!

So, I disconnected the cold start injector...no significant(?) difference

I disconnected the fuel line from fuel distributor to WUR and let the fuel empty to a container when fuel pump is on. I *definitely* got less than 1 liter in 30 seconds. I probably got 0.25 liters in 30 seconds and then once I turned the pump off, more fuel eventually came out making the total around 0.5 liters. So, I changed the fuel filter (first time in many years I think) and I checked that no fuel comes out the back of the fuel accumulator. Re-did the test. Still same behavior.

*** Does this mean the fuel pump is too weak? *** I cleaned contacts (but after the above test, but they seemed ok).

The car did start but unlike before it could barely idle (at around 500 rpm) and if I gave it gas, it would want to turn off. I noticed that *slightly* depressing the air intake piston improved idle a little bit.

Fuel injectors bad? I just got new ones today but not installed.
    Fuel pump bad?
    Is there a procedure to open-up and clean the fuel distributor?
    What else?

Thanks!

D.

13. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Daniel,
    You can only check the quantity fuel delivery at the return line from distributor to fuel tank (not to WUR)....this you have to check again.
    Did you cleaned the plunger inside distributor ? Procedure see WorkshopM page D27/28.
    Take off all fuel connections upper side and loosen the 3 screws....head will come of turning a bit (and maybe the rubber ring will be destroyed). You have to change that ring anyway.
    Guido

14. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    ooops...ok, will redo the fuel delivery test...at first glance maybe its ok....when I first went to test after it being off all night, there was still fuel pressure in the lines.

I have been reading about cleaning the fuel distributor; I think I can attempt a clean of it....but not a disassemble. I cannot find a reference to that gasket you mention...do you have a part number of some information about it?

the car was sitting for 8 years with zero use and before that about 10 years of practically no use...maybe lots of dirt built up.

when I first started it a week ago, it seem to run fine and I went around the block a few times, but now it can barely stay on....*maybe* it means dirt/gel has freed itself from places and circulated around a bit and is clogging the lines.

If the injectors were dirty/clogged, it is hard to think ALL injectors got clogged simultaneously. There could be something more central in the fuel distributor (like the plunger) that is stuck/dirty.....

I guess?

15. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Gasket : just a rubber ring around middle tube distr.head. It comes in a kit like showed below.
    I put every year in my fuel tank a product to clean fuel lines and injectors. Works fine for my car.
    Repair fuel distributor : here you find some info and parts but you have to check what model membrame you need. The holes have to be like your oem.

http://www.ferrari400parts.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/114

https://cis-jetronic.com/index.php?rt=product/product&manufacturer_id=26&product_id=243

Wur : http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1372083-warm-up-regulator-wur-calibration.html

On youtube there are several intresting videos how to do :
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bosch+k+jectronic+fuel+distributor+repair

Good luck with that ! Just be patient.
    Guido

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Are you positive the accumulator is not leaking ? On US models, you will have to remove the return line to the fuel tank to see if there is any fuel leaking.

If pressing down on the air vane improves the idle, there could be a vacuum leak. Check the hoses connected to the AAV. Check for other leaks with a cigar.

The WUR has filter screens that can get clogged. Clean those out. The pressure regulator in the FD has one as well. I would try and avoid taking the entire FD apart. Get a gauge, and check the control, and system pressures.

17. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Yes, I checked accumulator and no fuel comes out the back...
    Pressing the air vane only helped very minorly if I pressed it about 0.5 to 1 mm down...more and engine would stall.
    I know about WUR filters but have not checked yet.

**FD:

I did however take off the fuel distributor (not a rebuild). I see that the plunger is *stuck*. When I first removed it the plunger was slightly protruding. I pushed it in a bit and it fell slowly a little bit, but smoothly. Then, I pushed it in a little more and it is stuck up inside. Thus, I do not think it is "frozen" but it does not move freely. As I understand this is bad because it causes an imbalance between fuel and air. Maybe that is why it did not start/idle. When I first go it started it did work fine but I guess the dirt laying in the system after 10 years of nothing circulated around and into the plunger area... (or the o-ring went bad).

I do not quite understand the cleaning procedure. Is it that I cover all orifices except fuel intake and then blow compressed air in and the plunger will "pop out" (and I have to be careful that it does not shoot out and get damaged). Or, do I turn the big nut that is around that general area underneath the fuel distributor. Help!

If I cannot get the plunger cleaned and moving smoothly, then I will send out for a rebuild (to Larry @ CISFlowTech). In general, from what I can see, all looks clean.

**Plastic inserts:

Another question is when I removed the 8 lines on top of the FD (that go to the injectors), I saw a small plastic insert inside. For 2 of the 8 the insert was inside the metal screw and for the others it was loose inside the fitting in the FD (so if I turned the FD upside down, it would fall out). Where should these inserts be? They fit inside the screws with a little resistance and snug/snap. If they are just sitting in the FD, they would never actually go inside the screw (unless the fuel pushes them in, but if it did, why are some not inside?)

Many thanks in advance!

D.

18. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I believe that the plastic inserts are little filters that are supposed to fit inside the screws.

If you blow compressed air into the middle port on the top of the FD, the plunger should come out. Realize that it's the fuel that provides lubrication for the plunger to move smoothly.

When you press on the air vane with the FD in the car, there should be some pressure there. You should be able to run the motor at any RPM by balancing the air vane position with the throttle position. I have done this while testing for a vacuum leak.

The main problem I believe with the car sitting unused for long periods of time is that the slits in the plunger become clogged with dried out fuel (varnish). One way to try to clean these slits would be just to run the motor for a long time (running fuel through the slits). Or you could run cleaner through, or soak the plunger in cleaner.

This guy has jigged up the components outside of the car to run cleaner through and test the flow.

theunissenguido likes this.
  19. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Dont forget there is also a fuel filter INSIDE fuel tank, there where the delivery tube is coming out.Did you empty your tanks and put new fuel ?
    Its correct with pressed air in to the hole of fuel line (to the wur), horizontal bolt in the middle on the head that pushes the plunger out.
    You can use very fine steelwool with aceton to polish the plunger.
    You can test the fuel delivery also by removing the lines on top of the injectors and put the lines in little botles like the video.

Guido

20. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I injected air through the top hole on the FD and the plunger did move out. I can push it back but it does not fall back down on its own...though it is easy to move.

Can I remove the big nut on the bottom surrounding the plunger so that then I can remove the plunger from the FD?

I guess I shall attempt a good cleaning. What solution is best? 50% fuel / 50% injector cleaner? lacquer thinner? carb cleaner mostly pure? I was thinking of it soaking in the solution first and then make a contraption to force cleaner through once of the 8 outputs, then another etc...

21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Yes, you can remove that big nut, but it has to put back in the same position like before !! put a mark on the side of the nut and on the housing, so they match afterwards.
    To clean use a product that does not eat the rubber or plastic inserts !

22. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    By the housing I should have mentioned the cilinder that holds the plunger....this cilinder should stay in the same place as before.

Guido

23. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I think I successfully cleaned the fuel distributor! Now, when I push the plunger up, it comes down and I hear a faint "woosh". I cleaned using compressed air and carb cleaner. I also bought screws so that I could close all holes minus the ones I wanted to at that moment.

When I just installed it, I could still hear the "woosh" when I pressed down the air vane. So, I guess FD is good.

However, I cannot get it to start... :(

I also cleaned the filter on WUR, cleaned the cold start injector, removed distributor caps and cleaned contacts, and cleaned ignition coil contacts. Still no start. It cranks, but no start. It would seem like "no spark", however there was a time or two that it did seem to begin strt. I did loosen one of the screws of the pipe going to a cylinder's fuel injector and gas spewed out, so their is pressure... Not sure what else...

Tomorrow I will try to check if their is spark. I have new injectors too but not installed...don't know if that matters right now...

Any recommendations!

I *REALLY* want to drive the car....still have not been able to except for in the driveway a bit...

theunissenguido likes this.
  24. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I've been looking around and reading; I have two questions (my car is '82 Mondial 8)

1. the auxiliary air valve (AAV) seems important...if it is "bad", does that mean it would not start? I "think" it has an electrical connection but I cannot see it; disassembling and cleaning all around there seems not too hard...

2. the electrovalve (which should have 3 vacuum lines only has TWO lines attached to it) (part #111704) -- the 3rd one is disconnected and I see no tube there; the car did work fine before my timing belt change and did work a few times after my timing belt change -- I don't think I disconnected it by accident; the ending seems a bit dirty as if it has not been connected for while; if I look closely at http://www.birdman308.com/service/cold_start/cold_start.htm it seems that in his diagram only 2 connections are used in the electrovalve, so maybe this is ok...seems odd though.

recommendations?

25. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    AAV : when engine is cold the air duct should be open.....there is a valve that closses when engine is heating up. This is done with a bimetal (electricity). there should be 2 wires (1 beige/1 black) connected to the connectors inside the black plastic end. Beige is connected to fusebox (7e wire from above,vertical white plug on the right).Black is connected to chassis.
    Electrovalve : I have no idea how this US model works. Have only euro experience ! But looking at birdmans diagram, I see only 2 vacuum connections so this is ok.
    Did you check the spark plugs (if the are dry or wet) after start attempts ?
    And like Birdman suggest...best to disable that US extra part completly.

Guido