Mondial 8 weird start issue -- relay related | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 weird start issue -- relay related

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, Apr 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks guys! So I had a little time and made some nice discoveries (BTW, the fuel pressure tester came sooner that is why I made progress...)

1. Voltage to fuel pump is 11.5 to 11.6 (with car turned off of course)
    2. it took the pump about 30 seconds to build up enough pressure before fuel came out of the FD (return line to tank)
    2. FD to fuel tank (return line): dumps MUCH LESS than 1 liter in 30 seconds. More like 0.25 liters.
    3. Control pressure between FD and WUR is 40-42 psi. Weird though when I close the valve on the tester, and should be reading system pressure, I also get 40-42 psi (yes the valve in pressure tester is on the side of the gauge connected to the WUR). However, maybe I did something wrong...
    4. The pressure coming out of the FD for one of the injectors: ~40 psi
    5. the pressure AT ONE of the injectors is: 15-20 psi (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ... needs to be about double as per the manual for the injector fire.
    6. I removed all injectors and put small bags at end of tube -- when pump is on, fuel comes out but very irregular in quantity and it "spits" every once in while
    7. So, I removed all the fuel injector lines from car and cleaned them with carb cleaner and then pure fuel injector cleaner (using my air compressor to force the liquid through).
    8. I reassembled and connected 7 injectors. That one open line still has fuel coming out VERY irregularly and spitting every once in a while

I did not have time to re-measure pressure etc...

A. I probably should connect the fuel pump (with a T valve) to the pressure tester to make sure it is generating enough pressure.
    B. I should read carefully to make sure I do get enough correct system pressure... and how to do so.
    C. I might discover fuel pump is too weak, but maybe more likely that the FD is dirty inside and fuel simply does not come out well.
    D. I will try connecting long tubes to each fuel line at the injector (with no injector present) and then run the fuel pump for a while to see if that helps to clear the lines.
    E. Previously, I tried cleaning the FD by forcing air through it and each injector outlet as well (closing other ports with screws).
    F. I could contemplate forcing pure injector cleaner through the FD using my air compressor and some custom contraption, but maybe this is delaying the rebuild of the FD
    G. If step "D" fails, then will need to crack open the FD (and might as well the WUR as well). I already ordered rebuilding kits for both...

Thoughts?

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Gauge valve on WUR side is the correct setup. When this valve is closed, your system pressure should be around 75 PSI. The low system pressure, coupled with the low fuel return rate points to weak fuel pump output, or a leaky accumulator. Try hooking up the gauge to the fuel line junction that goes to the input of the FD. Should be 75 - 120 PSI. If this is low (which I suspect), hook the gauge directly up to the fuel pump. Use a hose with clamps if you don't have the correct gauge fittings. Try checking the voltage across the fuel pump while it's running. Use the little jumper cables with alligator clips.

FD output is also a problem. All 8 outputs should be consistent. Try cleaning good first before disassembly.

This is basically the same motor, and he's got 50 PSI in control pressure, and 72.5 PSI in system pressure. Although he's got a leakdown problem when the motor is turned off.

3. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    All, super thanks!

So more progress...I directly connected the pressure tester between the fuel pump and the inlet to the FD.

1. first time in morning when turned on I got 78 PSI (got this reading only once) while keeping the ball valve in the tester closed so that I measuring directly the pressure from the pump; pump sounded like pump but a bit irregular and it took maybe 1 minute or slightly more for it to each this pressure.

2. if I open the valve and press the air vane and pump on, I get 40 PSI which then goes down to 5 PSI.

3. if I open the valve but remove safety switch and pump on, I get 20-40 PSI (sometimes got 20 and very slowly rising, and sometimes close to 40 rather quickly)

4. Then, I repeated test "1" and I could never get 78 PSI again....never more than 40 PSI. I repeated step 1 about 3 times.

5. I tried multiple combinations of valve open, valve closed, air vane down, safety switch off, and basically I never see more than 40 PSI at the inlet and when the air vane is down I always get ~5 PSI eventually.

6. With all injectors off, fuel only spits out very irregularly from the lines in all cases.

7. Recall that previously I got about 0.1 liters coming out of the fuel return line to the tank (in 30 seconds)

8. Recall that when I thought to be measuring system pressure using the line from FD to WUR, I also got about 40 PSI. I think my tester was correctly connected.

** My conclusions: **

A. fuel pump and/or accumulator is bad (most likely pump, but maybe just replace both to be safe); I already checked back of accumulator no fuel comes out; I do hear a water running sound after pump is off...and *maybe* during pump running....maybe this is just fuel returning to tank from the FD?
    B. above was mentioned the primary pressure regulator...where is this? is it the placed horizontally inside the FD and I can only see the screw head on one side of the FD...in a sense it is placed traverse to the FD return line and lines to/from WUR...is that it? if so, or not, can I easily just remove it to inspect?

I will order a new pump and accumulator. I have the pump with the check valve inside. I think I saw I can order the same pump, might as well.

While waiting, I might as well rebuild the WUR (kit arriving soon)...that should be a relatively easy task, right?

I am tempted to open up the FD and do a simple rebuild but maybe I should wait...

Thoughts?

D.

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    yes, primairy pressure regulator is the horizontal bolt with nut. Before removing this you should mark the position to the cast from bolt and nut.
    Did you clean the filter inside the fuel tank, just where the line comes out ?
    Wur : this is the most dificult part! there are a lot of issues to get the set up right !
    Give me your email or facebook account name so I try to send you some pdf about wur repair and set-up

Guido

5. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks!

This is all getting complicated :) A development: I found a place in US, DeLorean Auto Parts, which I have seem referenced on FChat, that has rebuilt FD and WURs. Basically, I mail them my core and they return a rebuilt one to me, takes a week total or so.

Pricewise not bad, $470 for FD and $270 for WUR.

Maybe just do that? been using lots of time on this already or am I just throwing money....?

That rebuild of the FD I suppose will include ensuring the pressure regulator is good...

So, I will have
    -new pump ($100)
    -new accumulator ($100)
    -new fuel filter
    -rebuilt FD and WUR
    -AAV I have disassembled and inspected, maybe ok; cold-start valve (a US thing) is inspected, maybe as recommended by Birdman I should remove
    -new injectors

there are some relevant thermoswitches and I have no clue if they work...handle later...

Fuel system should be ready!

Thoughts?

D.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Sounds like the fuel pump is weak. My only suggestion is to make sure that there is at least 11.5 volts across the pump WHILE IT IS RUNNING.

I believe the safety valve in the pump is set to 120 PSI. So that's what you should be getting with the gauge hooked up like you have.

If the accumulator is old, it doesn't hurt to replace it. It will go bad eventually.

The WUR rebuild kit is only a couple of gaskets. What goes bad with the WUR is that the screens at the input need to be cleaned. It's difficult to clean these without disassembly and removal of the internal diaphragm, because you won't get any cleaner to flow throw the screens when everything is together. You will know what I mean after you take it apart.

Your FD may be okay. 40 PSI is just not enough pressure to operate it properly. I would get the new pump installed first before sending the FD out, or taking it apart.

7. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    oeps something went wrong here....

Guido

9. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    All,

So I installed a new fuel pump and fuel accumulator...however pressure after fuel filter is just 20 PSI!?!?!?!

Some items:

1. I did not record to which of the openings of the fuel accumulator does the pump go. The accumulator has a center port and an offset-from-center port (both on the front face of it, of course). As I could tell from diagrams and Google searching, the center port should go to fuel filter (meaning that gas comes into the fuel accumulator by that offset-from-center port and then gas goes from accumulator to fuel filter using the center port. Is that correct?

2. When I removed the pump I noticed there was no gas in the tube from tank that connects to it. It was sitting all night but shouldn't there by even residual gas there. Does this mean the filter "inside" tank (as Guido wrote) is almost clogged? I did not "remove and clean fuel tank" after my car's 8 year hibernation, but I did remove all fuel using the tank's drain plug. I "blew air" into the gas tube from gas tank to "clean it"...just a short squirt. Gas DOES come to FD and to ports (not very much as before) so some fuel is coming to pump...can it be that "not enough" to build the 120 PSI pressure?

3. can something else be wrong? I did measure 11.7-11.4 volts at pump while running...

4. am I going to have to remove fuel tank from car and inspect that other filter??

10. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
  11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The return side of the accumulator has an angled hose bib. The unit should be installed with that angled bib in a horizontal position facing the fuel tank. Now the input side should have upper, and lower ports. The lower port goes to the fuel pump, the upper port goes to the fuel filter. But it might work even if you have those hoses reversed. Never tried it.

Odd that you would have 70 PSI with the old pump, and 20 PSI with the new one. Since you have the old pump out, it would be interesting to jig that up out of the car, and test the pressure. Just use a length of rubber hose connected to a funnel for the input, and a rubber hose with clamps for the output to the gauge. Jumper 12V from the battery.

With fuel in the tank and the fuel pump removed, you should have fuel spilling out all over the place. Not sure what's going on there.

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #62 spicedriver, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

I've never had this filter out, but it looks like it just unscrews from the tank. If there's enough room, it should come out with the tanks in place.

http://www.allferrariparts.com/tbl10937.html

The hose from the tank to the pump could also be collapsed.

13. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I did not get 70 psi with old pump....reliably got 20-40...

I think it’s connected as you indicate....hmmmm have to inspect when I get some time....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    All,

Finally got some time and made progress!

1. I directly connected that back of the fuel pump to a 5-gallon fuel tank and immediately the pump when on had 80 PSI and I could get gas to squirt out of the injectors! (only tried one -- various things are partially disassembled) -- great news!

2. I removed the inline fuel filter that is inside the tank and it IS FULL OF CRUD/DIRT/VANISH --- so that was the source of my problems! (at least a major part). It took some effort to remove the filter, but I did. By sticking thin things inside that hole and the drain plug I can feel/pickup lots of "gunk", so I think my tanks need a thorough cleaning.

3. To remove the fuel tanks, I think only the metal straps need to be loosened from the engine bay part, and the line to the gas-filling-line disconnected (and the hose between the two tanks to be cut), then it seems they will just come out, right?

4. I am not sure exactly how to clean the tanks but once out I suppose I can find someway to flush them with pressure...

Stay tuned!

theunissenguido likes this.
  15. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can flush the tanks with a water hose, just make sure the tanks are completely dry before you put them back in place. Maybe use a hair dryer.

It would be interesting to put everything back together, and see how she runs with the 5 gallon tank attached.

16. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
  17. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Please note the extreme danger associated with working and testing through an ENTIRE high pressure fuel system on a 35+ year-old car with tight squeeze engine compartment. This was a methodical foray through the system which started at top and ended at bottom of corroded fuel tanks. I commend the successful discovery of the problem's source. I also strongly urge FChatters to understand the high risks associated with this effort; unplugging safety switch, vapors, sparks, extension cords, shooting gasoline into jars, shooting gasoline through tubes, starting the engine with tubes and wires hanging around, etc.

How about this: Have the fuel tanks checked by an expert before diving into the fuel system. Then, if the car needs fuel system work - employ an expert with proper facilities to do the work.

I like most FChatters and would hate for one of us to get hurt. I'm kind of old so I guess I get to say this. Respectfully, J

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

theunissenguido and Roward7 like this.
  18. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Many thanks all for your help! Finally, got the engine to start!!!!!!

1. The fuel filter inside the tank was basically blocked. I cleaned it. I could not remove the tanks so I washed them with water in place. Let dry, flushed with some gas etc. I changed all the rubber fuel lines around there too (inclusively the one between the tanks, whose removal made it easier to wash tanks).

2. Put it all back together, measured pressure at inlet to FD (was 80 PSI).

3. Changed all injectors.

4. Removed cold-start-valve (US only add-on), as per Birdman's website.

5. It just started! I had to play with idle settings, but all good.

6. Went for a drive (about 35 miles, or 50 kilometers)! and slowly started to up the RPMs, and periodically checked the engine bay. Wonderful sound!

7. At the end "something happened" and I lost lots of power and had to slowly limp home...not sure what. Maybe one bank went dead?

8. After it cooled down a bit, I disconnected one of the ignition coils and it seems that is what it was like when had no power. I did with other bank as well. Seems good now, but did not try again (had to leave for my day job :) ).... next I will test each spark plug (remove individually and see if it affects performance -- it should). Plugs are already changed. Cables are not.

Many thanks to Guido and Spicedriver for all your help!!!!!

If I cannot fix my powerloss problem, I'll be back...hopefully is something simple. Macroscopically I guess can be:

a. bad ignition coil/cables/Marelli's?
    b. bad speed sensors (there is one per bank right?)
    c. more fuel crude which got lose in WUR or FD (I never opened them up, though I did squirt cleaner through the FD at high pressure)

paulchua likes this.
  19. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can tell if it's a full bank failure by comparing the heat at the exhaust manifolds. Also check for loss of spark to the cold bank.

I've had one bank go out before, and then you've got a four cylinder engine. The problem turned out to be a faulty ignition module on one of the coil packs. These modules have numbers on them which can be cross referenced, and had for around $30. If you buy the entire coil pack from a dealer it's going to be expensive.

Congrats on getting her running again ! The K-Jet seems complex at first, but it's really quite simple, and reliable. You obviously have experience working on other cars ?

20. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    My current other car is a Porsche 944 Turbo, which is currently working quite well. Had a track event recently and all great. Have another one coming on May 19-20 and wanted to take the Mondial during the slower-speed touring laps, to see how it feels....I hope to have it ready by the 19th!

I'll have to read-up about the ignition module....not sure what they are. Also, I am not sure its a cold bank, need to spend some time. First was going to check cylinder by cylinder. Speed sensors I read you can just check with an ohm meter...

21. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    On another thread I read:
    "I also had a couple years ago a bad crank sensor which was causing the car to malfunction, but not backfire. It would stumble, or lose power, then come back. I didn't figure it out until another fchatter riding in the car noticed that the tach went nuts when it happened. I looked at the schematic and saw that the tach was driven off only one of the digiplexes which showed that it was the crank sensor on that digiplex."
    (by Birdman)

The tach DID HAVE A PERIODICALLY crazy RPM meter, but the large every once in a while motion of the tachometer did not correspond to what the engine was actually doing...so could the speed sensor be bad? I believe there are 3 sensors. One for tach and one per bank. If the tach one is bad, this should not affect the banks. But if bank sensors are bad too (a sign of age), then the Digiplex would be screwed-up periodically and I could see loss of power, backfires, etc (all of this occured during my so-called "limping trip back home".

??

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Sorry my bad, those modules are only on the later cars. I believe your coils are driven directly by the digiplex unit.

You could test the speed sensor at the connector easy enough. The first test I like to try for any misfire is to run the car for 2 minutes from cold. Shut the motor off, then touch the manifolds near the exhaust ports. If you can hold your finger there, then that cylinder is not firing. If an entire bank is not firing, look for something common like the coil. The coils can be swapped for testing purposes.

http://www.allferrariparts.com/tbl13884.html

The 944 Turbo is an awesome car.

23. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    More progress but no solution...

1. I drove last week 25 miles in one outing, seem powerful and I upped the RPM slowly, never quite got to go "all out" but at some point suddenly had to limp home for 5-10 miles. I did notice now RPM gauge jumping around periodically
    2. I changed all my spark plug wires (the accel kit as per Birdman's website); nice red wires :)
    3. definitely both coils are firing; and 99% sure all 8 cylinders are regularly getting spark
    4. symptom now is still not much power, even after cable change; also idle is irregular meaning that if I adjust to 1000, then after some accelerator presses it goes to 2000, or to 500; also, sometimes if I accelerate too much then when I release the accelerator it goes to nearly 0 RPM, and often turns engine off; though I can re-start it easily; if I use my foot to keep the RPM from slowing down to fast then all ok.
    5. could it be speed sensors? would that cause this? I am not sure where they are; the workshop manual indicates 3 such sensors (TDC sensor, TDC sensor, sensor tachometer); I think I see a rear one, on the side of the bell housing (near transmission system), not sure which one it is; seems like easy access but did not remove; had a hard time following the cable; I did see a round 5-pin or so connector underneath the car, with easy access; I disconnected and put electrical cleaner in there; as per workshop manual that should not be the connector, but I cleaned just in case. I cannot see the other two sensors.

** can some one point me to the where the 3 speed sensors are for a Mondial 8?

** any other suggestions ?

24. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    TDC sensors are on the front of the engine, around where the flywheel would be. You will probably need an inspection mirror to see them. The upper one is bank 1-4, the lower one is bank 5-8. The one on the rear of the engine is for the tach.

I would start with a compression check. Pull all the plugs out, read them, and note where they went. Check for arcing extenders. The compression check will give you an idea of the condition of the rings/cylinders, head gasket, valve springs, etc. Make sure that is all good first.

Check fuel mixture. Rev the engine from the back to 3,000 RPM. Press down slightly on the air vane. If the RPM increases, check for a vacuum leak. With a cigar, you are your own smoke machine.

25. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I found all sensors and measured them cold to have about 750 ohms each. It seems they have been worked on. One of the TDC is a white wire one. The other TDC is a black wire one. The tach sensor is a black wire one with no connector -- just crimped wires together (I added a simple plug connector).

I cleaned all those contacts. I also uplugged and cleaned two large electrical connectors near the fuel expansion tank and the two Digiplex input connectors.

I also changed all plug wires, as I said previously.

In the end, the symptom is the same and maybe more stabilized. Engine sounds good and went cold to warm I think the power curve is good (only sitting in garage). However, when I drive around the block and the engine warms up eventually it seems to lose power and misfires and I have to limp home.

So, it *seems* that upon warm-hot range the engine is getting confused. I do not think the engine is "very hot", but definitely beyond "can touch the key metal areas".

Can this be the TDC/tach sensors getting hot and then not working well? I have not removed them to inspect -- I was thinking of ordering some new ones and if I am going to remove, I might as well change...

Understood about arcing extenders...the cables are new, but not the extenders (they do not seem easy to find locally, right? saw them on ebay), however them starting to cause misfire when warm/hot does not make...wouldn't it be always?

I will check for vacuum leak with your method (nice one!) I changed some/most of the vacuum lines (I think just missing are the ones to the Digiplex boxes).

NOTE: mine is a Mondial 8 so there is no ECU....just the Digiplex's I believe.