Mondial 88 convertible top latches | FerrariChat

Mondial 88 convertible top latches

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by garciacg, Oct 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Hi,

I am looking for a set of convertible top latches for my 1988 Mondial. They are ~$400 per set at the dealer. Does anyone know where I might find them for less- used ones would be okay also.

Thanks!

2. sirbob

sirbob Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    South Orange County
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Try T Rutlands ...

They have new and used / recon stuff

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Alfa Romeo Spider are the same units. Somthing like 40 bucks each. Hope this helps

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Ummm - will those Alfa latches fit a Mondial t Cab also?
    Cheers, Hank

5. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Funny, somehow those latches seemed VERY familiar to me, even the trick for closing the roof was the same in my old Alfa Spider... Thanks for confirming my suspicion, very useful information!

6. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Thanks everyone for the information on the latches for my 88 Mondial. Now that I think about it, I used to own a 1981 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce in 1985 and it had the same latches. I can't beleive that I forgot about it.

Thanks, I will check with the Alfa parts store and save some $$$.

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    OK Garcia,
    You had to be in university at the time you owned the Alfa - - and you don't remember the latches because you were, you know - toasted! LOL!!

It does seem that we have some promising "less expensive" avenues to explore. Come on - a latch for $400.00~!! Same ones on my t Cab.

Cheers, Hank

8. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Hey there Hank,

Your were almost correct. I had just graduated from UCI when I got the Alfa. I guess I forgot about it since it spent most of its time in the repair shop- although, when it was running it was great!

Okay, I just ordered latches from an Alfa shop up north. They were $100 per latch set, so I only spent $200 instead of $600-$800 at the Ferrari dealer. I will let everyone know if they fit okay.

Ciao,

Carlos

9. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Hey everyone,

I purchased new latches from an Alfa store for my 1988 Mondial Cabriolet and they worked. They cost $106 a piece (compared to $350 at the dealer). I heard that I could have gotten cheaper else where, but had already purchased them.

Thought you might want to know. Thanks!

cg