Mondial adjustable shocks-t | FerrariChat

Mondial adjustable shocks-t

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by gsfent, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    So I have the 30k engine out service (plus “while I was in there” service) pretty much completed. Valves adjusted. New belt. New bearings (Hill). New water pump. New AC compressor. Etc. The only remaining issue is a shock light that won’t go out ( I know relatively minor, but I want it 100%). It seems the shocks are not doing there pre-test on startup. So it has to be something electrical affecting all the shocks. This occurred a few months ago, but I let it go knowing I was going to do the major service.

My mech tested all of the wiring. He says continuity is good, grounds are good (itself a minor miracle! :) ). Switch is good (best guess, he checked it with a multimeter and changed positions and the values changed). The shocks have been previously serviced by Delta Vee and actuator gears replaced with metal gears. We are down to the Bilstein shock control module as the culprit. Took it out, opened it up. Nothing apparent on its face. No water damage. No corrosion. Apparently the module has a pigtail with a three wire adapter to plug in a diagnostic tool. That would be extremely useful if I had access to the tool!

Does anyone have access to the diagnostic tool or know where one might be accessed? Is it possible it will be similar to the Chevy Corvette (from which the shock setup is derived as a stand alone system other than tripping the shock light)? I would think a lot easier to find a diagnostic tool that works on a Chevy vs. a Ferrari.

My other alternatives are to contact Delta Vee and ship the box for testing (but lately they are getting horrible reviews for turnaround time) or perhaps Dave Helms @ SRI, who was great to work with when I purchased his upgraded split fuse box. He is probably the Jedi master.

Right now, this is apparently the only thing not working as intended by the Ferrari gods (the shocks, not the light which is merely symptomatic), and just ignoring the light won’t work for me! ’

Thought/suggestions on getting this sorted?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Hi Jerry,

Is it possible that the shocks themselves are a bit stiff and might require some oil to "work them in?"

I'd call Dave for sure. He will help troubleshoot and get you on the road again. I was under the impression that the SD1 was also needed for the suspension ECU, but he will know definitively.

From what I've heard, there could be a 6 month turnaround time from Delta Vee, so I wouldn't go that route.

Hope this helps!

Alex

gsfent likes this.
  3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't think it is a shock issue. They worked fine until recently. They go through a "self test" upon startup, rotating I think about 90 degrees and then back. That is not occurring on all 4 corners, so the fault light is on and I am assuming the shocks are locked in their firm setting. But since it affects all 4 and mech says continuity and grounds are good, that leaves me with the module itself.

If no one else has any ideas, I will contact Dave. He was great helping me with some issues after I installed his split fuse box. I agree about Delta Vee (unfortunately). When I sent my shocks out years ago, the turnaround was something like a week or two.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I think the shocks go into the neutral or medium setting when the suspension is not working properly. If the shocks are stiff, say the fronts, the self test wont be able to correctly perform and the light will illuminate. I have a hunch that might be your issue.

Give Dave a call or shoot him an email.

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Who makes the shocks on our cars? I thought I read bilstein but not sure. I would like to have mine rebuilt in a year or so.

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Bilstein. Delta Vee can do the rebuild, but read some recent threads about ridiculously long turn around times, often with no communication from them. Without your shocks, car is basically a garage queen piece of art.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    99% Bilstein

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Bilstein has a rebuild shop don’t they? I sent my 964 turbo dampers there years ago.

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  11. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Hi Jerry -
    Did you ever resolve this issue?
    - Alex

12. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Not yet. But a local board member (paulie b) has hooked me up with his long time mechanic, who I will touch base with early this week. If it is not the shock control module, then I need to bring the car to him for him to go through.

I will be glad to post up when she is back to 100%! :)

Regards,
    Jerry

13. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Awesome. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk