Mondial Anti-Lock light coming on.... | FerrariChat

Mondial Anti-Lock light coming on....

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by CliffBeer, Nov 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hi, hoping someone might be able to give me a clue as to where to start with a lit "Anti-Lock" light on my 1988 Mondial 3.2. It comes on a) when the key is first turned to start, and b) sometimes when accelerating aggressively.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the ABS booster ball - perhaps low pressure or ??

Any help is much appreciated!

2. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    My does this when I have not driven it for a while, take for a good long run and out it goes. Then when you turn it on and start it the light comes and goes off as it should. The ring on one of the hubs might have dirt in it or rust. Maybe one of the sensors is loose get under and have a look.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #3 moysiuan, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have the dealer manual for the abs, Teves Mk II, for Mondial 3.2 and 328. It says the abs warning light goes on when the key is turned to start position, and stays on while the system does a self diagnostic check. It activates each control valve for 7 msecs. If you keep the brake pedal down while this is going on you can feel the knocks on the pedal. If it stays on a bit long, the accumulator is not charged, it could stay on as long as 30 seconds if this is the case. This is all normal. If it stays on indefinitely, there is an electrical fault in the system.

Some of the tests for the system involve a pressure test. The various readings diagnose the condition of the accumulator, pressure switch contacts, pump efficiency and hydraulic seals. Doesn't look like a home handyman job, but thought it worth pointing out what gets tested. Looks like a special guage (ferrari part # 95970035 for those who want to know.) There are also electrical test checks, which are stored in the abs brain, and the codes can be interpreted. Here's the test procedure:

With car at standstill, and igntion off, insert a normal fuse (5 or 10amps) in the left fuseholder at the abs brain unit (the other three fuses should be in place all the time) Turn the key to the running position, and observe the behaviour of the abs light. If it goes off after 4 seconds, the control unit has no electrical defects. If a failure indication: after 4 second the light goes off, then carries out a series of half flashes every second. It then goes off for some 2 s and then starts to flash again, 1/2 flashes , before staying lit indefinitely. The number of flashes in the first and second sequence are for the tens and units of the failure code repsectively. The failure code can then be compared to the code table. The process can measure up to seven codes failures. Pull the fuse out, reinsert, and another error code will show, if there is another error, can do this up to seven times if there are multiple faults. To reset, just turn the key to the off position, remove the fuse. Code memory is erased, but if a failure, the unit will trigger the codes again. This process won't work if there is a control valve failure. The code chart groups codes into 7 groups, 11 through to 78. It then suggests further electrical sensor resistance tests depending on what the problem category is to test various sensors.

To test control valve operation, it appears you need the ferrari 35 pin connector tool.

From what you describe, some intermittent light indication, it is probably as simple as cleaning all electrical contacts, relays, etc. that are around the abs brain, and at the wheel sensors. If it starts normally but comes on after 8 kph, and stays on, it is probably a failure of the test circuit control unit. The more serious problem is when it is always on. But even then could just be electrical contacts. The good news is even if abs fails, the brakes still work, lots of fail safes built in.

If I get a chance, I will scan some of the manual, I just don't have a scanner, for now I attach some photos, I hope they show of the diagnostic codes chart, hope its readable. Also threw in a picture of my 88 Mondial Cab :).

Hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hello Andy,

Thank you. That's very nice of you to take the time to assemble this information - I really appreciate it! I've noticed us mondial owners are a pretty great bunch of folks - a lot of comraderie and help from each to the other. Again, thank you.

The symptoms of what I'm seeing are a bit funky - the light goes out fine after the initial self test upon start up, so that's good. It only comes back on when stepping on the accelerator pedal fairly aggressively, and then goes out as soon as the pedal is eased off somewhat. My (rough) sense is that what I'm seeing is an intermittent fault associated with low pressure in the accumulator, related somehow to the manifold vacuum pressure dropping when the butterfly is opened up. But then again, me thinks the accumulator pressure really should be dependent only upon ABS pump working, not manifold pressure. Obviously, I need to study this more, and the information you have provided is super helpful.

Much appreciated Andy!