Mondial boot/trunk lining asbestos? | FerrariChat

Mondial boot/trunk lining asbestos?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Firas1982, Sep 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Firas1982

Firas1982 Rookie

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Firhaas Tukmachi
    I have a 1985 3.0 qv cab.....i noticed the trunk floor lining was wet and noticed there is a white insulation beneath the fibreglass floor panel. Does anyone know if this is made feom asbestos or if Ferrari used this material in these mondials?

Thanks

2. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Cut out a piece and try and burn it. If the fibers don’t burn up then it may be asbestos and if the fibers burn up then it is not asbestos

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Don't tell the EPA is it is. They will confiscate every Mondial out there.

4. Firas1982

Firas1982 Rookie

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Firhaas Tukmachi
    I found that another forum member (tatcat) tested a similar white insulation from his 308 and it turned out to be fibreglass and not Asbestos. It looks very similar from the photos. So i would be surprised if Ferrari would have used asbestos in the mid 80s.

I have now removed it all and it's been disposed. But just wanted to see if anyone else has come across this insulation.

5. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Yes it is in the rear wall lining between the back seats and engine compartment of my 1986 Mondial 3.2
    I have not had it tested.

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Pretty sure it is white fibreglass. Asbestos use in cars was banned by the EPA in the 1970's. Maybe some used in European cars, but eg. Switzerland was generally equal to or ahead of the US for emissions and environment things generally, and was an important market for Ferrari, so I suspect Euro cars don"t use it either.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #7 MvT, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    There is no car in Europe that where asbestos is used for insulation. IMHO it also does not do very well in protecting if your car catches fire.. because that is the main purpose of asbestos. I am pretty sure asbestos was used on very old cars all over the planet, but merely brake pads and shoes, and if you lucky to find a barn find you might be even more lucky to come across it. :)

In the trunk in all Mondials you will find a layer of polyester fiber and depending on the year extra layers of a certain foam. The early Mondials with a toolset compartment had nothing other then the interior fiber. I only came across one that had such a toolset compartment on the bottom (Swiss model). At least what was left of it as it was more hole then a compartment from the rust it had.

My 3.2 has first a glass fiber layer and then two layers of foam. All together good for at least 7cm I took it all out so I have more room for stuff to go on our trips. No moisture luckily, but it is known it leaks from the black rubber lining on the sides and/or antenna.

8. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John

Why did you remove the insulation?