Mondial Cinquevalvole? | FerrariChat

Mondial Cinquevalvole?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mark C Harvey, Dec 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    For those Mondial-T owners that want a little something extra this Xmas, why not treat yourself to a 355 engine and trans-axle? From what I understand it should bolt right in, right down to the 2.7 motronic:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-ferrari-f355-motor-gearbox/

You would have the option of retaining your 5 speed or Valeo, or go the whole-hog and use the 6-speed... Just think about it, it's basically the same engine, just bored out slightly, with a 5-valve head and some fancy titanium internals. What could be better than terrifying your mother-in-law after Xmas lunch by showing her your new 8500 rpm redline? :cool:

2cam, sixcarbs and paulchua like this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
  4. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I wish I would have been born rich instead of so good looking.

paulchua and 2cam like this.
  5. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    haha! Great idea... ;)

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  7. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Yeah it’s interesting the cultural divide between Porsche and Ferrari - its common to “hot-rod” an old 911 by swapping in a more modern motor. Ferrari not so much

paulchua and 2cam like this.
  8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    While the purists are definitely out there, I would say that the air-cooled Porsche community definitely tends to be more hands-on and is willing to push the boundaries of the original build specs of their cars. I used to joke that they were the German Honda Civic due to the sheer number of modified 911s that are out there. Update/Backdate/wide bodies/slant nose conversions/RS copies/Turbo copies/suspension mods/motor mods/BIG motor swaps/etc. The low price of entry (compared to Ferraris), sheer number produced (again, compared to Ferraris), reasonable cost of parts (compared to Ferrari), and 30 years of backward/forward compatibility of parts really lends itself to modified cars. The people that tend to be attracted to modifying air-cooled 911s seem to be more hands-on than your typical, classic Ferrari owner.

As an example, this is a project that one of my local cycling buddies is working on - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/840815-project-minne-saga-72-a.html . This is a part-time hobbyist that is doing the work and the car is looking great after 4 years of effort. He still has a long way to go to complete everything, but I think it's a good example of the type of people that are attracted to the air-cooled 911s and some the projects that they undertake. This type of project is fairly common in the Porsche community. Much more so it seems than in the Ferrari world. However, that's probably due to the sheer number of 911s produced in comparison.

2cam

paulchua and Mark C Harvey like this.
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's probably it, yes? The numbers i.e. loads of Porsches. As such, there's huge support from the aftermarket and plentiful used parts as well (when compared to Ferraris). Also, the Porsche doesn't incur a "tax" like the Ferrari does.

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The 355 engine on BAT is a 5.2 Motronic, not a 2.7. Ferrari only used the 2.7 Motronic on the 1995 355 and the later 355 Challenge cars. Due to OBDII they switched to 5.2 from 1996 on. If I put that motor in a Mondial, I would just update the system in the car to the later 5.2 Motronic.

The Mondial with the 430 motor is the bomb!! I love it. I wonder if it is an F1 transmission or a stick?

paulchua, Mark C Harvey and sixcarbs like this.
  11. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    An this is why FerrariChat is great!!

So how hard would it be to i) swap a Mondial 3.2/QV/8 transaxle onto this 355 engine?, and ii) spin 90 degrees and mount in a Mondial 3.2/QV/8?

Asking for a friend...;-)

paulchua and sixcarbs like this.
  12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Haha

paulchua likes this.
  13. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It would be extremely difficult to mate this engine to a Mondial 3.2 transaxle and install it in a Mondial. Nothing is impossible, but if you were paying someone to do it, it would be cheaper to purchase a nice 355 or 360.

paulchua, Mark C Harvey and alexion like this.
  14. matfo

matfo Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Sweden
    Would be a really sweet update to any Mondial T.
    But let’s say that I get my hands on a F129B engine that had Motronic 2.7....
    How much of the wiring and ECUs and other electrical stuff would be possible to use from the Mondial and what would be needed from a 355?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013