Buy

mondial clutch replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by srephwed, May 8, 2012.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    my ferrari arrived last night and would not even drive into the garage.the clutch seems to slip very badly.the seller of the car said the car drove well and i had to borrow part of the money so the lender sent an inspector to check it out.i don't know what has happened.the worst may be that i will have to replace the clutch.has anyone had any experience with this?i understand it can be done with the engine in car.thanks for any help

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm surprised that the PPI you did (or should have had done) didn't pick this up.. hmm.

Not that sure about the earlier mondials.. but if you go to:

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Workshop.htm

download the workshop manual for the Mondial and see what it will entail to replace the clutch. I know the later mondial T's were like the 348 and relatively easy to replace.

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    What year/model of Mondial do you have?

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    my title says 1985 but an import tag i'll call it says 1984.also the casting on the engine is 105 a which is another disappointment with this car.makes it a 3.0 not 3.2.they say all good educations cost money.they didn't lie

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, the 3.0 and the 3.2 are different in so many ways...

But hey, you've got a Euro QV and that's not a bad thing :)

9. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    If you have a 3.0 Mondial and not a Mondial T, then you can change the clutch without removing the engine. I have never worked on a T, so don't know the layout,but I *think* you can still change the clutch without dropping the engine. I *think.*

On a 3.0 the transmission sits underneath the engine, connected via a trio of gears called the drop gears. The are on the left side of the car behind the wheel well. The super short version is

- remove cover
    - remove drop gears
    - remove bellhousing
    - change clutch
    -replace

If you can't find a good tutorial in the Mondial section, search the 308/328 section. While the body is different, the mechanical unit is the same.

I did the clutch in my 308 GT4 myself. It required some squirming to get the bellhouse out through the wheelwell, but it was not too difficult

Before you change the clutch, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly - that could possibly be the problem.

I bought my clutch parts from AW Imports in NJ. You will find in the land of Ferrari that there are a lot of different price points for parts. Buying from Ferrari is very expensive for most stuff compared to some aftermarket companies that sell the exact same part. Then there's another tier of folks like AW that don't sell everything you need, but have some great prices. AW does a lot of importing and reselling to retail places, they don't advertise much, but when I was a Fiat mechanic I bought most of my hard parts through them. I've also recently found Danial at Ricambi to be a great person to deal with, very honest and prompt.

Welcome to Ferrari ownership. It can be rocky, make you angry, and take a lot of money. But the thrill of driving the car when it works right makes it all worth while. Yesterday I put my GT4 back on the road after a very long and slow service - some days I regretted ownership, but in the end the car sings and was a joy to drive.

Best luck. Ferrari chat is a wonderful place for advice, as there are some sage owners and some excellent mechanics that frequent the place.

Jonathan
    Denver, CO

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    talked with my seller and the inspector today.they shed some new light on my problem.seems as though once the inspection is done it is out of their hands and put into the drivers hands.the seller stated that when the driver was attempting to load the car it seemed as though he had never driven a manual transmission.i must say for the down grade trip he made in my driveway i think he was correct.the car was loaded and unloaded who knows how many times.i am convinced the incompetent driver caused all the damage.i am now in the process of filing a claim and hoping for the best.i chose the shipping company that i did not because they were the cheapest,they were not.i chose them because they were the highest rated in customer satisfaction.just not buy me.thanks to everyone for your replys.they have been a great help to me.since i am a first time ferrari owner now i am sure i will talk to you soon.thanks,fred

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Huh?

You HAD to know you had a QV without looking at the engine casting.

Not only are there dramatic visual differences between the Mondial 3.2 and the QV but the engines have different Plenums.

I am mystified by this post. :confused:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. srephwed

srephwed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    i never said i was the smartest guy in the world.but i have learned alot.

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, welcome to the brotherhood. Now that you have her, read everything you can in the Mondial section. There are threads covering everything. Don't hesitate to ask questions and we will be right there to help you.

Admittedly, most owners know a little bit about the cars before purchasing them, do you mind telling us how you came to acquire your Mondial. Was it a spur of the moment purchase, where you looking at something else and it came along?

We would love to see pictures.

Good luck with her!

15. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Fred,

Where do you live? I didn't see it in your profile or in the thread at all. You might want to fill out the profile and provide some information if you are going to spend time on here.

Depending on where you live, there are some great resources and mechanics available who can help you straighten the problem out and get you on the road without costing you major bucks. Be sure to check the parts cross-reference stickies in the Mondial and 308/328 sections. There are a lot of alternate suppliers for parts, and lots of options that can save you huge amounts of money. In many cases, the only difference between the parts is the color of the box and whether it has the little horse on it or not.

There are plenty of threads on clutch issues, repair, replacement, so learn to use the search function and make it your friend. And as suggested, download the workshop manual. I had an '84 Mondial QV, and it was a great car. I found that most of the engine parts were exactly the same as the 308 QVs, so you have lots of alternatives. Oh, and download the parts manual as well. I actually found that more useful most of the time than the workshop manual.

Good luck with the car and let us know how things go. And welcome to the club!

p.s. There is a good sticky in the 308/328 forum, on what you need to know about owning a 308. Most of it applies to the Mondial, so first place I'd go to find out about these cars is that sticky. Also, go to the website of Birdman (Google Birdman Ferrari and you'll find it). He has lots of great information on the 3x8 cars and the Mondial.

16. srephwed

srephwed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    wow!!! many thanks to everyone.it seems to be a ferrari owner,even a lowly mondial is quite a special thing.i can not beleive the outpouring of help and support.i purchased this car on e-bay.i have been dealing there for many years.one thing i learned is that e-bay buyer protection is not for all items so they could not help me.you may call it spur of the moment but i did do some research.i looked at several replicas which gave you the ferrari look with a pontiac drive train.some would say easier to maintain and service but i heard the fiero's like to spontainiously cumbust at times.i saw this true ferrari with even though small it has a rear seat.the grandkids would fit well.it is not perfect but very nice.i gave 15k for the car and if it would have shown up in maryland in driveable condition it would have been one of the happiest days of my life.i hope no one on this board ever got in their new ferrari and it would not move.it was like my dog had died.carrier ins.may cover the loss.i have my fingers crossed.hopefully my next post will be a happy one.thanks again to everyone,fred

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well assuming they didn't burn up the flywheel, a clutch job on a Mondial QV is one of the cheaper repairs. All in, you will probably be somewhere around 2K or so including labor. That may sound like alot, but in Ferrari world, you are getting off easy.

BTW, you do not have a "lowly" Mondial. A Ferrari is a Ferrari and for many, like myself, the Mondial is one of their finer moments.

Don't crap on your own parade. ;)

Just my .02

18. N_Hornblower

N_Hornblower Rookie
    BANNED

May 10, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Nathaniel Hornblower
    You're not alone. I got in my "fresh off a $12k major" fleabay Mondial just to hear it run on 6 cylinders. New wires & extenders fixed the problem, but it was just a sign of things to come.

Another alumni from the expensive school of hard knocks...

19. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    Is there an upgraded clutch kit out there?? Need to do one on an 83 Q.V., 4th and 5th gears started slipping and I don't think it should be driven far like this

20. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I had the performance which I believe is a Daytona clutch in my 308 and unless your left leg is huge I'd stick with the stock clutch. I was always surprised I didn't break the seatback pushing the clutch pedal in.

f355spider likes this.