Mondial clutch. | FerrariChat

Mondial clutch.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ddiggler, Sep 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Any thoughts before I dive into some troubleshooting. 86 mondial. Drove it a week ago. No problems whatsoever. Pushed in the clutch tonight and it just went to the floor with no resistance. Reservoir is low and have what appears to be clutch/brake fluid under the front part of the engine. Clutch slave cylinder bad? Any thoughts. Thank you Doug.

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #2 moysiuan, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Sure sounds like the clutch slave, although it is more likely that it is the hose that goes to the slave that failed. It runs near the front exhaust header and is not replaced as often as it should be given the heat soak in that area. New ones are available from eg. AW Italian.

The slave has a couple of rubber seals in it that could also leak and are replacable. The seals are provided by Fchatter "theunissenguido". You can buy a new slave if you want the whole unit, but save the original, not all new ones are as well made as the original.

3. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
    moysiuan likes this.
  4. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    You're certainly in the right area. I have had the slave cylinder seals fail, not the line to them.

I found the seal impossible to replace, as in getting them onto the shaft without breaking it, so I ended up having a shop do it. they slipped it over the shaft while I watched, I guess the guy had trained thumbs. I had tried heating the seal in warm water, slowly sliding it on, and --pop. I might recommend buying an extra seal while you're at it, since removing the slave cylinder from the car is enough of a headache that you may not want to wait to get a second seal if the first one breaks.

5. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Hi Peter. I am near Tacoma. Where did you have the work done? Thanks. Doug.

6. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Doug:

Unfortunately, I think that the place is long gone. It was on East Marginal Way S, in Seattle and I think I found it through others on Ferrari Chat. They worked on a lot of older vehicles, probably mostly muscle cars and restorations. I recall that all they did were brakes and clutches. I don't have any other places I can really recommend, which I guess is good in that it says I haven't had too many problems.

7. im4524

im4524 Rookie

Jun 24, 2022
    Full Name:
    George Spatola
    My clutch went to the floor when I started it last time. Then I went back a few days later and it was fine. Now it is soft again....
    Any easy fixes?

8. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
    Hi @im4524 which Mondial do you have?

It could be the seals in the master that have gone or it could be air in the system.

When was it last bled?

Ian

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #9 moysiuan, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    If there is air in the system, the seals can let the air blip by, and the pedal goes to the floor, when the fluid reflows around the seal it goes back to normal. So as noted it could just need a bleeding, the brakes and slave cylinder are all part of the same hydraulic system, the slave itself also has a bleed nipple and needs to be bled as well. Of course it could also be the beginning of a seal failure in the slave or master cylinders.

First check the brake fluid reservoir level, might be too low and the system has gulped some air. If low, might be a leak at either the slave or master cylinders. The slave is accessible through the left rear wheel well. There is a rubber hose that is fairly close to the exhaust header, this can break down with time. So might be the hose leaking. The rubber seals in the slave can also perish from the constant engine bay heat exposure. The master cylinder seals can perish from age, they are not subject to heat, and would therefore be the less frequent cause of internal seal leak problem.