Mondial convertible top tips- chime in. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial convertible top tips- chime in.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MondiAl87, Mar 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I guess I'm not a "real" man. LOL. I read the Instruction manual that came with the car and had no problems getting the top down or back up.

I do suggest making sure your leather cover is well conditioned, supple and slightly warm before trying to put the boot cover on for the first time. Main rule: if it isn't going back easy don't force it! My book said to have the rear window buckle outward (convex). I agree with 87blumondi, place a soft material over your rear window to protect it and be sure it is clean (in/out) before you put it down. It takes about 10-20 min your very first time but much less the more you do it. Not really any more complex than my chrysler convertible was.

Mine came with the tonneau cover as well..I love it. It is just as easy to deploy as the top boot. Hint...just look for the holes in your door (they are there, you gotta get on your hands and knees to find them the first time)and don't try to stretch the straps to the bottom of the door.

There is nothing better than being out in a true convertible on a dark starry night with your gal by your side. City dwellers wouldn't know what I'm talkin about (too many street lamps), but you get the point.

2. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    It's statements like these that have always made me wonder why prices on Mondial Cabs are among the lowest in the Ferrari lineage. After all, they're Ferraris (true, to-the-bone, non-imitation in any fashion, Ferraris), they're full-convertibles (how many Ferraris are NOT fully-convertible), they're plenty sporty and fun to drive, while being functional, and like any Ferrari, there weren't that many of them produced.........seems like all conditions are there to make them worth AT LEAST twice as much as they now bring..........just always been a mystery to me

3. Hill Country Ferrari

Mar 28, 2007
    thanks for the tips!

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    to another fabricator.
    I will be able to offer a new price within one week.
    Thanks
    - Ron

5. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Rival,

You are correct...this is a complete mystery to many. Must have something to do with sellers, listing their cars too cheap??? I think if they were listed higher they would still sell, as they meet a very long list of extremely desired criteria.

I think someday they will really ramp up in value. Just when that "someday" will occur will remain a mystery until it happens...

Fyrrari!

6. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    I didn't read the manual, and found the top very easy to put up/down. Although these tips and suggestions are still very helpful..

Howard

7. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Once you put the up and down it becomes easy just take your time. The problem are the screws that hold them together, the snap easy and I have been trying to find, Does anybody know where to get them or machine them
    DM

8. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Only time will tell on the Price.

9. Ferrosso

Ferrosso Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Monterey Bay CA
    Full Name:
    Al R
    Good suggestions in this thread. I've had a hard time off and on with my top over the years. I replaced the first canvas 10 years ago, tears from frame bite. This one now has a white, chalky discoloration where the top material stretches over the frame. I've looked into dyes, but haven't found a solution, except to replace the top material again. Any suggestions?

Al R

http://www.goodnightkiss.com/art/ar/85mond.html

10. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    You know, this is exactly right. There's really no good way to explain how to successfully stow a Mondial top. It really has to be witnessed......BluTanMondi, are you interested in providing a video for the rest of us? Since reading the process still leaves me with some uncertainty, I'd like to view how it's done....

11. Tiger Racing

Tiger Racing Karting

Jun 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I say this with all the love in my heart, but, well, they're not very pretty cars. In the traditional red, they look like little bricks. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give mine up for anything (short of a Boxer), but I'm not surprised that they aren't more popular.

C.

12. Mtweiss

Mtweiss Rookie

Nov 12, 2011
    Woodstock, CT
    Full Name:
    Martin Weiss
    Hi folks. New to group. First Ferrari. (1988 Mondial cabriolet) Put top up for Fall weather and it seemed to have shrunken by about an inch. Attempted to latch her closed and snapped one arm of the passenger side roof latch. I read that Ron (?) had made some version of a replacement. Still available? Suggestions for the newbie?

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #38 soucorp, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome, I have an 88 3.2 as well. My latch receiver was broken when I bought my Mondi, bought a replacement part from FerrParts.com, $45. see pic below for the part that broke. Not sure if you are talking about this piece or the handle latch thats attached to the softtop but I', sure FerrParts.com can get you a replacement. The trick with the top operation is what my buddy Dave illustrates in his Youtube video: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_vyfBeMfo[/ame] The technique works great!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #39 davebdave, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #40 PV Dirk, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your break Martin. Ron should have that part for you if it's the one he makes, if not one of the salvage yards as mentioned above should have what you need. You can also check with the new sources.

In putting the top up and down on mine about 50 times this summer I have done a few things. First it is best to do when top is warm, easier to stretch. Second when I put it in the up position before latching I let it relax in the sun for a bit if I can. Third I pull or push the B pillar forward a bit, each side, that tightens the rear of the top and makes sure the frame is fully in the proper position so you aren't using the latches to "set" the top frame properly. Fourth, I learned from my dad on his 1965 Ford Galaxie convertible when I was a kid. I manually try to put the top in place (the last inch) with one hand before I work the top latch. This is usually the leading edge of the top from the inside while sitting in the seat. I will push the header bar straight forward then down into place before using the latch for the final snug. I use the latch for very little movement of the top itself.

Congratulations on the purchase of your Mondial. I certainly am enamoured with mine and have put a lot of trouble free miles on it. Enjoy!

16. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    One of the reasons that I love FChat so much is the wealth of information on how to properly maintain and enjoy our cars.

I do have toggles available, in fact I have sold a number of pairs in the past few weeks.

Numerous ways to reach me:
    Personal message on FChat
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    Or cell 508-341-7440. East coast time.

$172.00 for the pair. ($85.00 each plus $2.00 S&H).
    I'm not trying to get rich here.....

I'd be happy to help.

- Ron Frohock

17. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    #42 Lenvo65, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

Its circled in this prior posting - I do have a message in to FerrParts and will call later today, have my fingers crossed but looking for other options if I need to go there.

How often do these break, and how consistent are they between model years? Is it worth looking into tooling to get these made? Perhaps Ronfrohock has looked into this.

(BTW - I already bought Ron's latches 2 years ago)

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    These top receiving ends can easily be broken if forced beyond its threshold.
    That's why its very important for new and existing cabrio owners to go slow when latching/unlatching the top. Make sure you screw the latch all the way forward and latch one side, then the other side, unlatch the first side and screw it all the way back and re-latch, do same on the other side to get a good seal. This technique is the only way to get the top on safely and without breaking the latches or receivers! The write-up was in previous threads. But yes, if someone can machine stronger receivers, it will be great to have as spares.

19. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    I went 5 years without breaking one, and last night was doing the second round screw it all the way back and relatch when I broke the receiver. For the future, once I find a replacement I will be less agressive and live with a less than optimal seal (which is what I was hoping to achieve when I broke it).

20. crazyspeed

crazyspeed Karting

Aug 11, 2011
    I ordered 2 latch repair kits ( or one pair) from Ron today. Thanks to F Chat and Ron I'm keeping the Mondial in Purrrrrrfect condition.

21. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    I ordered mine yesterday....he did say this is the busy season when they seem to break....

22. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Seems to coincide with when people use their roofs the most.

Question:
    How many people would be interested in the receiver part that the toggle clamp connects to?
    - The part that is circled in a previous post.

I would concider making these parts, or other parts that are needed.
    What do you think?
    What is needed?

Thanks
    -Ron

23. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Ron, I think you could improve on the design above the OEM ones if you could make the receiving guides longer than they currently are, without interferring with the toggles.

24. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    If the price is reasonable like the toggles were (bought those about 2 years ago) I would definitely buy a pair of receivers! Go for it please!

25. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri