Mondial Coupe | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JOEL D., Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    I got the article from the WSJ while on a business flight. I don't subscribe, so I can't get the article online. However, here is the text from a very similar article in Forbes.

The Cheapest Ferrari

With rumors persisting that Ferrari is thinking of building a four-door (say it ain't so!) sedan, it's worth looking back at what is today the most affordable Ferrari ever--the Mondial. It depends on who you talk to, but a lot of Ferraristas (self-described Ferrari nuts, collectors, racers) mostly consider the mid-1980s-to-early-1990s Ferrari Mondial a big mistake. Today that debate rages on, but there's one thing nobody disagrees on: If you want a $15K to $30K exotic car with a 150mph top speed and four seats (the back ones are big enough for little kids), this is the only choice.

Taking a closer look at the Mondial: The car has crisp--if not wholly inspired--lines by designer Pininfarina, based on the late-1970s 308 platform. But the Mondial has a longer wheelbase than the two-seat 308, with a midengine design and a trunk aft of the motor. Early Mondials (the 1980 Mondial 8) had limited horsepower but, by 1985, the car came with a 3.2-liter V-8 with four valves per cylinder that were good for 260 hp (versus 235 hp for the Mondial 8). By 1989, the Mondial t had 300 horses.

What enthusiasts rave about in the Mondial is its classic midengine handling (the moment of inertia in cars like this is predictable right up to the limit--with excellent grip even in the wet), its beautiful Ferrari engine note that's like no other car, its excellent transmission and sporting pedal box (the arrangement of gas, brake and clutch in a racing fashion).

Put bluntly, what other car on the planet gives you access to this kind of history and power at this price? Not one. Want to know what new convertible sells for about $20K? You can't even get into a milquetoast Chrysler Sebring for under $28K. Let's see, a Chrysler or a Ferrari? -- Michael Frank

Forbes Fact
    The dark side of the Mondial isn't about the engine or the drivetrain, but the electrical system. Keith Martin, publisher of Sports Car Market magazine says that the first step to buying a Mondial is to be very choosy. "First, you want a four-valve model [1985 or later]. Then you want one that's been driven about three to four thousand miles a year." That means the owner has fixed what's broken rather than giving up and letting the car rot.

Martin also advises calling the service manager at the local Ferrari dealer, telling him what you're looking for and asking what to have inspected before you buy. In the best case scenario (the one you're shooting for), you should have to spend no more than $2K to $3K after you get the car to bring it into good running condition and then only fix what breaks. That still means a few thousand dollars a year (maintenance on Ferraris is more expensive than on any other make of car) but the thrill of owning a Ferrari should outweigh the burden on your wallet. -- M.F.

DC

2. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Slomo, thanks for sharing the article. Just got back from a 4hr. run in the Mondial t Coupe. Awsome day, the car is performing great!

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Great article and thanks for sharing.

4. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Adnaan, I like your profile photo of the Mondial t Coupe. You can see the noticable differences between the Euro model and the U.S. model in my profile.

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Slomo.
    Many thanks for sharing the article.

6. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Thanks Allen. You've got a great looking car. Sadly the one in my profile isnt mine.... YET!!!

7. Consejero

Consejero Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    James R. Consejero
    Actually there's a copy of the article online on the www.norwoodperfomace.com website, It was great to have when I rebuilt my engine.

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

So a 5-year old thread has been revived.

I remember that 17,000-mile t coupe at Newport Autosports (who have since gone out of business).

Does anyone know who bought that car?