mondial edu | FerrariChat

mondial edu

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by altaman, Feb 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. altaman

altaman Karting

Feb 25, 2005
    michigan
    Full Name:
    BRYAN
    hey guys. I'm real new to the world of ferrari. I have some extra cash and want to buy my dream car. yes its a mondial. I don't care if its considered a lower end ferrari I just love the look. can anyone give a little pro and con on the 83-84///84--89 and of course the T(348) I am in learning mode so fire away

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Here's some good reading:

http://www.ferrariusa.com/Mondial/index.asp
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=980

Basically, the Mondial 8 and quattrovalvole ("qv") are pretty slow. The 3.2 is less slow. The T is pretty quick. But you don't buy any one of these cars to be first in a race. Every one of them has its own merits. I myself want a Mondial coupe one day--I'll get either a 3.2 or a T. I still can't decide.

The T is the only Mondial to have power steering. Depending on your taste, this may be either a vice or a virtue.

The T has many technical advances over the previous cars. On the other hand, the engine needs to come out for the major service (changing of the timing belts), which is expensive and somewhat of a pain in the as$ (Well, not for you if you're not doing it). The engines in any V8 Ferraris before the Mondial T and 348 do NOT need to come out for the major service.

The mechanical and electrical components that debuted in 1989 with the 348 and the Mondial T have given those cars a horrible reputation with regard to their dependability and cost of ownership. Much of this is blown way out of proportion and, frankly, undeserved. But it is true that V8 Ferraris before the 348 and Mondial T are more reliable and cost less to maintain. Basically, there is much less on those cars to break--both mechanically and electronically. My 348 has been great and I have no regrets.

The 2.5 Motronic Injection system that exists on early Mondials T and 348s gets a very bad rap, and I don't think it should. I think that we here who debate on the 2.5 versus 2.7 have reached a consensus that the 2.5 is exactly the same system as the 2.7--the only difference is that the 2.7 system has the self-diagnosis feature, whereas the 2.5 does not. This means that there is nothing wrong with the 2.5 system itself as opposed to the 2.7.

I hope this helps a little. Read up at Ferrari North America's web site and archived FerrariChat threads.

3. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    First & foremost do lots of homework. Asking questions here is a great start. Look at as many different examples & models as you can & drive as many as you can. DON'T spend all your money on the purchase - you will need a reasonable amount in reserve (say US$5K minimum, 10K better ) to cover anything that comes up, or the car may be sitting undriven for a long time & what's the fun in that. Don't buy the first car - with a bit of time you will know the correct car when it comes up & many owners ask far too much money. You've gotta educate them.

OK. There are surprisingly big differences between Mondial models, esp in the performance area. The "8" handles well & is easy to drive but is heavy for the power. They also sport the big black bumpers which don't really say Ferrari. The 4-valve QV peps along a lot better but same looks. The 3.2 has the colour-integrated front/rear of the 328 which adds a lot to the appeal, plus has 30% more horses than the 8. It goes well. The 3.4 'T' has the best styling of the lot IMO, esp in the dark colours. It has a good 300HP and performs right up there, but it has a possibly underserved reputation of engine/trans gremlins dut to being the first model with the re-oriented power plant.

There is no other affordable Ferrari that you can seriously drive folks around in. The GT4 has no real room in the back, and a V12 400 series is likely to be much more exe to run & maintain. 456s are not affordable to most of us. That leaves the Mondial. Basically same mechanicals as the 308/328 series but ~10% heavier due to bit more body length. Wonderfully stable, good grunt in later models & just a terrific GT car. A great family experience. Me biased?

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    "...The 2.5 Motronic Injection system that exists on early Mondials T and 348s gets a very bad rap, and I don't think it should. I think that we here who debate on the 2.5 versus 2.7 have reached a consensus that the 2.5 is exactly the same system as the 2.7--the only difference is that the 2.7 system has the self-diagnosis feature, whereas the 2.5 does not. This means that there is nothing wrong with the 2.5 system itself as opposed to the 2.7..."

Refreshingly well said. :)

5. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    If a Mondial is the first Ferrari you drive, you won't know the difference. Mine is quite fast through the twisties where it matters to me. I don't drag race and I don't run it up to 150 mph, but on tight mountain roads it feels like it's on rails. Obviously, there are faster cars, but for a "family car," it performs quite well.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Mondials rule! They are wonderful, good looking and very affordable.

Everyone always calls the Mondial 8 slow. I haven't driven one, but honestly, there are no slow Ferraris, only ones that are faster than others. It's slow compared to some cars, but I'm sure it has plenty of pep. The QV has a little added pep and is really fun to drive (my wife has one). It makes all the right sounds and handles great. I like the fact that it's a Ferrari but doesn't scream it like my 308. You can cruise by without everyone noticing it immediately, which means you can take it places and not stress about it too much. But people who know cars will know what it is. It's a nice looking car, but I think the darker colors work better, especially in the Mondial 8 and QV where the bumpers are black. Black ones look awesome! (My wife wanted blue, and the car looks nice in blue, see my profile). The Mondial is one of those Ferraris that really looks great in other colors.

A Ferrari for the whole family is just plain fun, and if you have kids, you get to use it a lot more than a 2 seater. (Trust me, I know!)

Birdman

7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Concur completely with the comments posted. I wasn't even considering a Mondial when I began my search. By the time I made the purchase, it was really the only car under consideration. For us it has been the perfect Ferrari.
    We couldn't be happier. BTW: "Sophia" is a red/tan '89 t Coupe.
    John

8. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    I always wanted a Ferrari, and last year I was able to go ahead and purchase an 82 Mondail 8.

I have 2 kids - 3 and 6, so a four seater was the only way to go, and the Mondial being the only sensible choice.

The first time I put the kids in the car they were screaming they did not have enough room. This is because the car seats caused their feet to stick striaght out. (By the way, once the roar of the engine was hear, the kids were much happier.)

The big kid sits on a booster seat - the back is detachable, and removing the back gave her enough room and a safe ride.

The smaller kid was a bigger problem. The car seat stuck out so far that her feet were right in the back seat. The first ride my wife sat with her seat way to far forward to give enough room. A second car seat helped the situation, but if it is just me and the kids, I still push the passenger seat forward.

Good luck.

9. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Go for it and find a well documented Mondial so you know the exact history of the car. And get a Carfax report.

Make sure you save about $10k after purchase for any repairs that may surface. Dont blow the whole wad on the car at once. Good luck!

10. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #10 Zertec, Mar 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Much under-rated and no comparable car on the market even now. I intend to make my pair into the ultimate Mondials, faster, lighter, more agile and better looking but then that is me.

Buy Forza.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Agree almost 100% with all posted here. I have a Mondial 8.
    Key points for all Ferrari and Mondials in particular:
    1) Pre purchase mechanical inspection
    2) Do homework on prices
    3) Budget at least 5k for repairs and work (if you don't end up needing it, fine)
    4) Depending on your budget, better to get a needs nothing no stories Mondial 8 for 18,000, than a 3.2 for 30,000 that needs 20,000 worth of work.

Now, quick summary of the models

1) Mondial 8 1980-82
    First run of the car. A 2 valve engine.
    Black bumpers, weakest engine..BUT...can get a nearly perfect one for 20k or less (NEVER pay more than around 20 for ANY Mondial 8), and one that needs work for 15.

NOT SLOW. Just less fast than almost any other Ferrari. It has all the right sounds, looks (imho) and feel like what it is..a Ferrari.

Same engine as the 308

2) Mondial QV. 1983-85
    All that applies to the 8, applies here, except add 2-5 to price and more horsepower and better console layout.

Same engine as the 308qv

3) Mondial 3.2 1986-1988
    In my opinion, if you can afford it, this is THE best value in Ferraris, not to mention Mondials.
    Beautiful color coded bumpers, nice 3.2 engine, non-metric tires and wheels after 86. ABS, on later models.

Same engine as the 328 (tied for best Ferrari value)

4) Mondial t 1989-92(?)
    All same applies as 3.2, but with a 3.4 engine, different engine configuration.
    Adds power steering and really nice and modern interior. Mostly cabs...coupes VERY rare. Most costly in purchase and upkeep....but soooo nice.

Same engine as the 348.

Lastly, note: On these boards, you will find people declaring that certain Ferraris are "slow" "junk" not to be bought, etc etc. Ignore them. A Ferrari is a Ferrari...it is only a question of what YOU want and what you can afford. End of story.

12. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Well spoken!! :)

13. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    sjmst, thanks for that quick summary of the models, very helpful! So how about making some more for the other classics? :)

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Well said indeed.
    Here is a sample of silly things you will hear:

Real Ferraris have a V-12 cause Enzo said so
    Real ferraris have the engine in the front because Enzo said so
    Ferrari stopped making cars in 1970 - everything since is a Fiat
    Only the racing cars are real Ferraris - the road cars never interested Enzo and he just threw them together to support the racing team
    Real Ferraris are red and have 2 seats
    2+2's aren't real Ferraris
    "That's not a real Ferrari because it's not what I think a Ferrari is"
    If it's not 100% original, it's not a Ferrari

Buy the Ferrari that you enjoy and fits your requirements. A Ferrari is a Ferrari.
    best
    rt

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i swear i thought "AtlantaMan" had started this thread! :)

16. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    My 90 t is the perfect family activity car. My kids (5,7) will request 1 hr rides on weekends which gets Mom rare silence while keeping a smile on both of our faces. The seat issue for all four hasn't been completely settled since my wife feels the kids have no leg room when she rides along. The truth is the booster seats give the kids a better view but place them closer to the backs of the front seats. One of the t introduced 3 point rear seatbets which is something I'd like to have sized to fit my kids.

17. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I put 4 point seatbelts in the back of my T Cab just for my kids...I can dig up a picture if you are interested.

- JMG

18. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    MondialTCab
    Info on your seatbelt install would be great!

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #19 judge4re, Mar 3, 2005
  20. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    #20 MondialTCab, Mar 3, 2005
    These are Sparco Clubman 2" belts that I had sized to fit anything from a small child to me...6' and 220 or so. Any local auto upholtory shop can do the shortening...

I did drill two holes into the rear parcel shelf and then mount a bracket underneath and across to insure a secure top mount. Bottom mounts use the stock mounting points. Kids love them...and they don't need boosters as they are held in place better than any three point can do.

I have a 92 T Cab with the three points and this is a far better solutions without having the giant bolster between the seats. (The mouse belts were another issue as well but since I looked for a non-mouse belt 89 when I lost my 92, I had already planned on doing some sort of retrofit on the rear belts.)

Note in this picture, the driver side was loosened either fro dropping the seat or for an adult, the passenger side is about where my 8 year old would have it adjusted to.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    As I am unfamiliar with the term, what is a 'mouse belt' and, once you have enlightened me, what were your issues with them?
    Excuse my ignorance, not being American.

22. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    No issues...this was a feable attempt by the US government to provide automatic seatbelts...they were far worse than the original belts in cars and ran along a "mouse track" along the door frame. Notorious for failing...they were standard from 90 on in the US Mondials I believe.

- JMG

23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I bought my QV last year and due to crap weather in UK have only driven about 350 miles in it. Needless to say it is by far the best car I have ever driven. Still pinch myself when I look in the garage (even though it now has a car cover on it :)). Alot of comments about 8's and QV's looking better in dark colours. IMO the silver ones look good, but I had to (my wife said so!) buy a red one. Good luck with whatever Mondial/Ferrari you buy they are all exclusively brilliant cars to drive, nothing can touch them :).

24. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Thanks

25. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Hi

Im on my 2nd Mondial t and I can highly recommend it! It T is in my opinion the best of the mondials due to the numerous improvements over the other models. Thats not to say dont buy the others. Buy whatever your budget will allow because they are all great. The mondial t though is probably the best value ferrari you can buy right now.