Mondial Engine bay clean-up | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial Engine bay clean-up

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by snj5, Jan 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    All those pictures look great. It makes a big difference when doing work on the engine, ect. if everything is clean, and once it's clean, it's easy to keep it that way.

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #27 snj5, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks!
    Absolutely agree. We also added a heat shield around the smaller high torque geared starter motor as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Is the heat shield necessary if the original header shields were in place? Is there any advantage/disadvantage (re: engine bay & surrounding area temps) to jet hot treatment of the headers vs. leaving the shields (if in good shape)?

BTW, the egine looks great!

Tom

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks!
    Fair question. Since the car changed to tubi headers, using the old shields was not an option in this setting. The ceramic was primarily for performance concerns to keep the velocity high in the headers without transfer of heat, as well as reducing engine bay temps and surface protection. Many people have posted that the factory shielding on the headers tends to breakdown and rattle terribly with age, in addition to being a bit cumberome. With the forward area not as ventilated as it might be, the shield is an easy precaution even though the geared starter touts a lifetime warranty. Once the exhaust is done and the sound is right, the remainder of the exhaust system will be ceramic coated as well - mufflers and pipe - to insulate and surface protect.

5. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the info Russ.

I guess you could say that the heat question is pretty much a wash, with shield removal increasing radiant heat transfer vs. a more open environment - especially for the forward header - with more cooling air using the ceramic coating alone.

Another factor is my innate distrust of any connection, junction, or weld thats covered up. At least you can be sure that your headers are in good shape by not shielding/hiding the majority of tubing.

But I think that the bottom line is that, if you're going to put as much time, effort, and money into the superb detailng you did, the retention of bent, scraped, and discolored "tin" is counter productive. I think I hear my tin snips calling.......

Tom

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That's the reason I'm not cleaning mine!

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Russ,
    Cool shots of the engine bay with the subframe put back in without the engine. I have never seen that before. They would make great photos for a little tutorial on removing the engine/subframe from a Mondial. Hint...hint...cough...

Birdman

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #33 snj5, May 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I may try to do that if there is interest, but I am not as good a writer as you - in the interim off the top of my head,:
    Follow the manual or go by systems (but have the manual nearby). :)

Fuel - disconnect all of the fuel lines to AND FROM the motor. Don't forget the throttle cable!
    Air - disconnect the air cleaner, bypass air, vacuum and Emissions hoses
    Electricity - (this is the hard one) Disconnect the coil wires, starter, A/C, sensors (temp, ABS, flywheel etc) and grounding straps
    Oil - (messy - drain oil and remove filter first) disconnect oil cooler lines
    Hydraulic - disconnect clutch actuator cylinder line, brake hydraulic lines coming on to the subframe
    Exhaust - You can remove the subframe with the exhaust intact, but d/c muffler hangars and clear heat shields depending on model, but I'd remove the muffler
    Water - (messy again if you didn't drain the system) remove the heater and coolant hoses
    Disconnect shifter rod

Place stand solidly under the frame and lower car onto stand. Loosen bolts as shown.
    Lift car off of subframe - no fuss, no muss
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

I have the new starter and no heat shield on my front header . . . my car is a 2v but I drive it hard and there's more heat in the 308 bay than Mondial I think . .. been installed for over a year and no problems so far . . . they're great and have a lifetime warranty that the manufacturer warranties as long as you keep the box . . I bought a few of 'em and am curious if they'll fit with the heat shield in place 'cause it sure is tight without . .. at least on the 2V. I actually had to index it on the custom mount that's supplied when I installed it . . I think he fixed it for me on this batch though . . . we'll see.

edit: Russ . . . car looks great . . definitely my kinda Mondi except the carbs ;)

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Russ,
    Great picture....got any more to illustrate? I think that you can do a great thread on the engine removal!

Birdman

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks
    young guy: throttle bodies and lots of wires
    old guy: carbs and a screwdriver
    :)