Mondial exhaust needed -- where?? | FerrariChat

Mondial exhaust needed -- where??

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by FasterIsBetter, Mar 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I need a new exhaust for my '84 Mondial QV. I've read the old threads about exhausts, but I'm confused. A Tubi is just way too expensive for this car. The Ansa seems pricey as well. There are discussions about inexpensive "custom" exhausts, but no information about where to get them.

So, any idea where I can obtain a custom exhaust, or one that is reasonably priced? I'm located in NJ, so a local shop would be helpful, but I'd consider one someplace else as long as it will fit properly.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I think you need to be a bit more specific about your expectations from your custom exhaust, e.g, material, what you are prepared to pay, etc. With this info others can possibly point you in the right direction.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #4 snj5, Mar 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve
    You can get a world-beating unpolished muffler system installed for about $600 - $700 at most QUALITY race shops. Look in the yellow pages or ask around which shop has the best fabricators.

A couple of points:
    Will you need to keep your cats for emissions?
    What kind of sound do you want? Each style of muffler and it's size help determine the sound quality and volume. With you're car, I think you have dual cats so would recommend keeping a true dual system to take advantage of the famous Ferrari flat crank exhaust pulsing.

Any good racing shop or the fab shop can help you pick the right kind for your application, or air it here and you'll certainly get some opinions.

In my instance, I found I liked the biggest fiberglass muffler I could find ($70 steel, $110 s/s) for a deep baritone open sound with Ansa Daytona sized resonated tips ( $18 each!!) which made the sound very smooth and almost quiet at idle and cruise taking off the rough tinny edges that I find the newer haute couture mufflers (tubi, et al) sell as that 'F-1' sound. I always thought the old smoothness of the V-12s was far sexier than any 360 with a tubi, and that's what mine approximates.

If you like the higher pitched scream, then go for smaller mufflers without resonated tips. Certainly cheaper!

You can make the sound what you want, and the horsepower gain of any free flowing muffler will be about the same as the more expensive name brands and weigh much less than stock. Maybe not as pretty, but works as well or better in my experience.

Check the referenced thread for some ideas.

Good luck, and we are all here to help.
    best
    rt

Here are a couple of examples, one dual like yours and one of my 3.2 stainless boy-racer projects - sounded better than my tubi at 1/4 the cost :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Russ,

Thanks for the very helpful info. My car is a Euro-spec car, so I don't have the valence over the exhaust in the back. It just sits there below the rear bumper.

Like you, I like a deeper, throatier sound on a car than that high pitched scream. I'm looking for a more open system to get max HP gain, since I like to autocross and track the car. I haven't looked really closely to verify, but was told by the mechanic when I bought the car last summer that it does not have CATS. It's registered as a collector car, so no emissions testing.

I'm going to check around and see if there are any speed shops that do custom mufflers in my area. North Jersey, I have to believe there is. I agree about keeping the dual system, to maximize the engine design output.

Again, thanks, and any additional tips or input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Steve

6. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
  7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    They seem to make a good muffler. You just have to worry about Stebro actually delivering the muffler once you've paid for it. Just my personal experience, as mine never arrived. Check old threads. It was this disappointment that led me to discover that sometimes you can get exactly what you want for far less.
    best
    rt

8. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    THanks again guys. The Stebro looks really nice, stainless with nice tips. But I remember some of the complaints about delivery with them. I'll have to think about that, but definitely going to look into possible local fabrication.