Mondial owners: Do you receive rude comments in reference to your vehicles' styling? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial owners: Do you receive rude comments in reference to your vehicles' styling?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by GENERAL LEE, Aug 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
  2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #27 hank sound, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rachel just keeps getting more beautiful. God, I love this car !

As for negative comments, I've never heard one in the five years of ownership. But I have heard more than once, "I thought I didn't like Mondials - - until I saw one in the flesh".

Cheers, Hank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The only negative comments I ever received on my Mondial came from snobbish owners of other Ferrari models. The general public more often than not asked if my car was new? They were always shocked when I told them that it was more than 20 years-old.

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have to agree with earlier posters...Mondial shows best in the metal, and is "color-sensitive."

Soon after the model was introduced, I spotted one here in Dallas. Medium to dark metallic green over tan. I thought it was stunning.

5. cnchung

cnchung Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I had received a few negative comments from those who are never a Ferrari lover.

I love bringing the mondi to the public, people get to know more about this often neglected Ferrari model.

6. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    #31 FF8929, Aug 16, 2009
  7. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
  8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #33 Michael B, Aug 16, 2009
  9. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    #34 RichardAguinsky, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    Do you enjoy your Mondial? Are you happy with it? Who cares what others think as long as you are satisfied.

When I got my Ferrari, I received (and still receive) "references" to my white Modial Cab 1984 with 52K miles.

Here are some of the comments I received from other owners and non-owners:

"If its not red, its not considered a Ferrari."

"If it has less than 12 cylinders, it's not a real Ferrari".

"You have an entry level vehicle, not considered a Ferrari."

"Anything older than 2009 is not a real Ferrari."

"Anything newer than 1975 is not a real Ferrari." (Enzo's last design was the GT4)

"A real Ferrari does not have more than 2 seats."

"It has more than 30K miles, it has too many miles and it is worn out."

Then I ask the person making the comment:

"Have you ever sat in a real Ferrari before?" "Do you want to go for a drive?"

The look of joy in their faces when they are at the wheel or on the passenger seat for the ride do not match the previous comments.

Eventhough it is not my favorite style either, I am truly enjoying this vehicle.

Cheers

10. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Never had a negative in ten years of ownership.

11. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    ALL Ferraris are beautiful! Someday, the 458 Italia will be the subject of ridicule on F-Chat, and it may even be from one of your grandkids.

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #37 PV Dirk, Aug 16, 2009
    Few people on the planet do not recognize the 3X8. I'm happy to cruise a bit under the radar. Among my friends the only association they have with this model is me. I'm also a big fan of the 400i. I like the subdued look and that it might be considered the car Enzo build as his "old man" car. It's a 12 cyl front engine Ferrari that was from the time of the man himself. Wish I had a couple.

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I LOVE YOUR CAR...I am having prurient thoughts about your car.

That color is unbelievable. I know I have told you this before, but it is just stunning.

The color just brings out the lines beautifully. Please post more!

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Let me be blunt. I sincerely think any Ferrari owner who looks down on a Mondial is an idiot.

You can like this model, hate that model, whatever. But if you go down the road of what is and what isn't a Ferrari, then I think you are a pretentious fool who got into the marque for the wine and cheese and not for the cars themselves.

I have never been confronted myself, but if I were, I would have no time for such nonsense.

If you really LOVE somebody or something, then it really doesn't matter what other people think..if you get into Ferraris for superficial reasons, then you will always be keeping up with the Jones...and that is too tiring at this stage in my life. I adore the Mondial...VIVA FERRARI!

15. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    I heard the same words about the 360 Modena when it was first released. And they were right!

16. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #41 Michael B, Aug 16, 2009
    Hey thanks Joe. I appreciate that a lot.

BTW, that is the kinda comment that this Mondi gets about its styling. It's nice to have others enjoy it as much as I do.

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #42 hank sound, Aug 16, 2009
    Hey gang,

I agree with Joe here. Isn't it interesting - how so many people, so often, try to bend a thought in their favor? So, what is their favor? Really, it's nothing more than "I like brunettes, you like blonds". Does anyone win?

The bottom line for me, is to look at all this mental madness that so many buy into. A long time ago, while in my 20's, (whew) I was enlightened by realizing the possibility of a conclusion that simply reads, 'like what you like - - and hate me not for what I like - - and I promise to give an honest look at what you like, and not to hate you for what you like". No one is wrong.

I've taught this concept of a "true and honest evaluation of (things) and the people in our lives, to my son - and he proudly carries our family (mental & spritual) torch.

I'm off to listen to some Jazz....... See ya.........

Cheers, Hank

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #43 TheMayor, Aug 16, 2009

19. cronin

cronin Karting

May 21, 2009
    Twin Cities of MN
    The Mondial really is a great looking car and although maybe a bit more tame by ferrari standards when you are out on the road among "normal" vehicles it really doesnt look like anything else out there. i prefer the mondial in black and i like it to have the original style air scoop i just think it helps it retain a bit more of the ferrari hard ass factor

20. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #45 dakharris, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    Even though things have changed, you still only have half as many cylinders as you need.

21. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    #46 Rival, Aug 17, 2009
    I just sold my Mondial, and I loved everything about it when I had it. While I've always liked the styling of the Mondials (especially the cab), in my opinion, it was always the factory wheels that made these cars "less attractive" than they could have been (sort of like the wrong makeup or wrong hairstyle on an otherwise beautiful woman). Much like the wheel change from the '82 308 metric wheels to the '83 308QV 16" wheels, the QV wheels were of a more "open" design, and they really made a positive change in the way the car looked. Likewise, when the ABS wheels came out on the 328, I think the overall looks of the 328 declined as a result.

I'm a big fan of using factory parts, even in a retrofit, so I think 348 or 355 wheels on the Mondials completely transform the way they look (and bring out all of their true beauty.)..........Again, these are just the opinions of a former owner.

22. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    I bought mine because 20 yrs ago when I first saw one I fell in love with it.
    Couldn't afford it then, can now..

I think it is great looking, my wife thinks it is great looking (perhaps more important)

Whenever I take it to club events with mainly newer models, I seem to get many more compliments than the new ones!!

buy what you love.

My next one is a GT4, or possibly that lovely prugna T coupe....

H

23. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh Howard you are too kind. But thank you. :)

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I only receive compliments, much like the majority of those who responded. Never received an insult (read: never met Allanlambo)

25. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I searched a while, and decided on my 'entry' model, which fit my lifestyle and desires, and much else: I didn't care what other persons decided against my decision. I actually have some bias against some more modern models, but there you go....personal.

My 2nd choice is even more mundane to some, but both honestly make me feel quite good driving either for what they are and what I wanted.

Styles of either, which IMO are very, very nice and much overlooked because the 'opinionated' who typically do not have one [I bet dollars to donut holes, litterally, if someone had either of my cars for a year.....they would change their opinion to favor what they thought ill about before]. IF they still instist it is not worthy, then, it isn't the car for them.

One thing I can tell you, many persons on the street, DO like it...albeit it IS a Ferrari, but, many [perhaps just being nice] comment on how much it looks nice: almost all these look much better in person than pics can show, which [yes coming about] some of the CA has an appeal---just not buying one.

If YOU are not satisified, or it is not doing for you what you need: might want to explore another. Afterall, when I tried a 12 cylinder I was thinking "why didn't I do this before".