Mondial owners: Do you receive rude comments in reference to your vehicles' styling? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mondial owners: Do you receive rude comments in reference to your vehicles' styling?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by GENERAL LEE, Aug 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Frankly, I don't give a ****e what other folks think, good or bad, about the styling of the particular car I'm driving. If I like it that's all that I need. I really do like the mondial styling, particularly the '86-'88 mondials with the more integrated bumpers. It's a more subtley designed car with a very refined presence. I remember when they were being sold new - the 308 was less expensive and somewhat "boy racer" while the mondial was more sophisticated and worldly. Turns out the mondial and 308 have both aged well (and I love having both in the garage) and they seem to have a lot more character than a 348/355 or 360/430. Obviously, they're pretty crude in comparison but then so it the fiat 600, 308GT4, alfa giulia, maserati, 911sc, GT40 and fiat 1500 we also have. I'm looking for citroen 2CV as well and that's about the crudest thing going....but it's the fun factor that matters really here.

2. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    I have one of each in my garage too - a silver '79 GTB and a red Mondial QV. Very different cars and BOTH are fantastic. -rick

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I agree w/ CliffBeer; who gives a rat's butt what others think? If you like the car, enjoy it and encourage others to enjoy it also. If others enjoy it too, then you have successfully recruited someone into the fold. I would bet that's how most of us got into this hobby/madness - long ago, someone with a cool car took us for a ride.
    Happy motoring!

4. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    This is how it starts, we all think our car looks good (which is alright) then give the crap to some other Ferraris. Personally I don't give a crap about what people think about my car, especially ones without a Ferrari.

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #55 PV Dirk, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the positive comments JoeZaff. Models, options, colors, we all have preferences. I just noticed that Rival (who graciously allowed me to take over stewardship of his Mondial) posted the car with the 355 wheels and it looks good but my preference fell to the stock wheels. My pic (2nd page) and his are probably taken a few months apart. I promise I'll try to get some new pics of the car. I had it in my possession for two days before I had to leave for work for 3 weeks, ugh.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. redrocks

redrocks Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    When i bought my red mondial coupe 20 years ago i loved the smooth flowing lines, thought it much more cleaner than the 308, especially from the front with its wide louvered "bonnet", seemed more integrated than the 308 and the side gills made a real statement without losing the beautiful flowing lines. still love it today. I switch off with Modena wheels for a more modern look especially to save the tread on those expensive trx tires! i also believe it is very color sensitive, the grey ones especially don't seem to show off the lines properly IMHO. i hope it follows the dino as being appreciated more as years go by. and you can't beat the sound at lower rpms compared to modern f cars, except when winding out full throttle when the new ones sing.

7. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #57 JoeZaff, Sep 2, 2009
  8. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    #58 GDRIII, Sep 2, 2009
    I had my Mondial out for a great drive Sunday. NJB Automotive did a great detailing job on it recently. It just looked so good to me setting in my garage next to my 575M and in front of the Maserati. I felt compelled to take a couple of photos to capture the moment. I've had this car for 14 years and appreciate it more now than the first day I got it. I intend to keep, maintain, and most of all enjoy it for the rest of my life. I will probably replace the rest of the cars. Call me nuts but I think it is one of the best looking Ferraris ever built.

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I feel the same way. I am almost embarrassed to say it, considering the fine automobiles Ferrari has produced, but something about the Mondial speaks to me more than all the others, short of maybe a Pontoon Fender TR. I admire other Ferraris, but now that I have this little beauty any other car I get will always be...the other car. In the years to come, I can only imagine that other will catch on as well.

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I hope that they don't catch on for quite some time. I'd like to also pick up a coupe at todays market prices. But I'm also dreaming of a 400i and a TR. Mostly I had to think up something to type to get my name back into this love fest!

11. DenisB

DenisB Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2007
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Full Name:
    Denis B.
    GDRIII, WOW, do you have one very nice stable of toys. i bow to you sir. I can only hope to have as nice a collection

12. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    #62 effer, Sep 2, 2009
    Some people know that I am preparing the purchase of a Diablo, I went recently to John Scotti to take a look at their inventory and getting informations.

While contemplating a red Diablo I realized that, just behind, there was a nice Red Tan Mondial Cabriolet 3.2, top down. Honestly, despite the incredible look and presence of the Lamborghini, the Mondial looked sporty, very appealing and naturally ... exotic.

I think everybody concede that a Ferrari Mondial looks way better in real than in pictures, and one of the reasons explaining this finds its way through its volume distribution, a design aspect that became quite apparent while looking at both cars simultaneously!

Without any doubt, a Ferrari Mondial, looks exotic and sporty, even near an outrageous car like a Diablo!

About rude comments I had never experienced any, but honestly, I must admit that some people were not impressed at the same level as other exotic cars ... while some other even said they prefered my Mondial to the 308 of a friend!!! I never thought I could hear such comments!?! Well, to each his own ...

13. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    I have gotte two questionable comments I have gotten one was first time I drove the Mondial to work one of my guys asked me if I had seen the yellow car that looked like a
    Ferrari and was it real?
    He had bought a Corvette that same week
    When i told him I had seen it and it was mine and it was real he said i cannot top that--lol
    The other was when i drove into a car show and was told parking for non show cars was other way.
    Most cars in show were domestic hot rod customs

14. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    I took my Mondial to a MOPAR show once, just on a wim, just driving by.
    :)
    They let me in, tried to judge me too, , , ha ha.

15. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I totally agree. When you see these cars in person, like with the GT4, you see all the little features that the camera doesn't exploit. Before I bought my 83 308 I read that hand washing your car yourself will truely show you the beauty of these cars. I more than agree now. Hands on is always better! Just like with a woman!

16. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    #66 redpony, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    I bought the Mondial you are referring to at John Scotti's. It belonged to John's dad. They imported it for him when he was in his 70s, in 1989. He passed away a few years later and the car then sat in his mother's garage. It came out of storage a few months ago and put up for sale. Only 13K miles on her. I had her PPI'd and work was done on her to bring her up to snuff. She runs like a charm.

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #67 sjmst, Sep 3, 2009
    I NEVER had anyone say anything bad to me in person about my Mondial. It turned heads everywhere it went. Sure, on line there were plenty of detractors, but to each his own. For example, I simply do not like 348 wheels on a Mondial, yet it is a VERY common customization.
    Taste is personal, and the Mondial is a very nice car.

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    No

19. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Really! Wow!!! Congratulations! This world is so small! Very nice one you got there!

Did you make all the talks and transaction with Kelly and John?

20. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    Mondials are great cars and every bit a Ferrari. Very few Ferraris look good with out a top. Mondials are the exception.

21. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Said it before, I'll say it again: Mondial cab: The only 4 seater convertible mid-engine exotic ever made.

22. dcpleland

dcpleland Rookie

Jan 24, 2007
    I was told the Mondial (mine's 3.2 QV in Rosso 300/11 over creme) was the "unwanted Ferrari". But showing the car, and touring in it, have proven its worth. How nice it is for my lady to travel in comfort, no baggage on her lap! Other wives arrive at shows saying "never again" after a day under the baggage.

But I got creampuff for a smart price, and have won first and 92.5 points (including logo valve stem covers!). She's still beautiful, and still hits 150 in a fine hurry, still gets compliments and gives everyone grins.

I've had snobs (many who don't even own a Ferrari themselves) say it's not worth owning. But a 360 Modena owner once heard that said, and came to me with the comment "there's no such thing as a 'starter Ferari'". It's the truth, once you've done that ride, you're fully qualified to be in the club, and never mind the naysayers!

23. BAturb

BAturb Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Allan
    yes, I get bad comments all the time, just today I got, 'you dont have a real Ferrari, thats not a Ferrari, why dont you sell that heap of **** and get a real one', for every good comment I get I get another 4 negative ones

24. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Was the guy blissful when he said it? If so, that's the sign of ignorance.

25. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I took my wife out to dinner last night in my 87 Mondial. Toward the end of the meal the waitress brought over the manager of the restaurant who was very excited. He said that from the back of the kitchen he heard a "Ferrari" pull into the lot and ran to listen and watch it pull in. (stock exhaust) He was practically trembling with excitement.

Enzo is gone now but he may have watched my car come off a line in his factory.