Mondial Pic of the Day Thread | Page 69 | FerrariChat

Mondial Pic of the Day Thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I agree with everything except “what you can get for it.” I think the days of $35k Mondial T’s are long over and $45k isn’t a long shot. Let’s say $40k, and your cost of ownership is $7000 or $1750 per year.

How does the Mondial compare to the NSX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  2. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Haha!! You beat me to the punch Alex!! Are you nuts Paul? 35k? Have you not seen the “love” our beloved Mondi’s have been receiving lately? The market is speaking, and speaking loud and clear: “the days of this oft-maligned and and ridiculed AND under appreciated car are OVER!! The f-chat Mondi owners LOVE their cars, and so will you!!”

I’m only afraid that the “secret” is out and that the last “affordable” Ferrari will no longer be affordable!!

Forza Mondial!!

paulchua and alexion like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1703 paulchua, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Thanks, Alexion and Temple. I think mine would get in the high 30s tops if I were to sell today. It has a sparkling clear title, and the only thing that is wrong with it is it's missing the front covers inside the hood (Thankfully they are very inexpensive at Ricambi). I've put on 20,000 miles on it in just the last four years, so it has about 65K miles on it now. The high priced ones seem to be ones with relatively low miles. This fact is fine by me, as I don't intend to sell the car.

The comparison to the NSX (I had the 00' variant) - is something I've often thought about myself. The NSX is the 'better' car, but the Mondial is the 'better' exotic.

First, let's talk about performance. The NSX is no doubt faster, but not 'different' league 'faster.'- also this should be the case since it is only a 2-seater with a two-year development cycle ahead of it (not to mention not being on a legacy platform.) The NSX can get 0-60 in the low 5s and 1/4 in the mid 13s. The Mondial cab is in the low 6s 0-60 and high 14s for the 1/4. So if that 3/4 (1/2 second if you have the coupe) second matters to you, the NSX is your machine

Handling wise, the NSX also beats the Mondial - but the tail kicks more often than the Mondial - so it does take a bit more skill to get the most of out of it. Whereas the Mondial is a level more forgiving on driver mistakes. A skid/spin on the NSX would leave the Mondial still composed and the driver being able to follow through the error (I've thanked the Ferrari Engineers for this more than once.) ;)

Comfort wise the NSX is much smoother and quieter, so on long trips - the NSX would get you there more refreshed and your back less aching. Ergonomics is definitely on a different level, whereas the Ferrari instrumentation, switches, and buttons seem like a 60's Star Trek bridge, the NSX is like Star Trek the Next Generation - there is no comparison here.

Okay so at this point, you must be thinking "What the hell, the NSX sounds like it's got the Mondial beat on all measures!"

Well, yes - I would argue on an objective measure - yes, it does beat the Mondial - but here is where the Mondial has the NSX beat.

1) Character and Presence - There is nothing like the attention you get from the prancing horse, thumbs up, photos, smiles, and yes, the occasional rev - there is a reason that Ferrari is considered the pinnacle of automobiles. If you don't like attention or pomp - not the car for you, get a 911 if you want to blend in. The NSX gets nods from enthusaists, everyone else - it might as well be a Subura SVX.

I argue the Mondial gets it even more engagement than some late model Ferrari. It is a car that is very approachable, people either don't know what the hell it is and is intrigued or they 'have' heard stories of it (often bad) - and are curious to see first hand what the hubbub is all about. 90/100 times it is a layman who sees a 'vintage' Ferrari and thinks 'cool.' 9 out 100 times it's somebody that knows what it is, and even for those 'half' that heard 'bad' things about it - they are even more interested in learning more. The best example I can give is no matter how much shade you've read/heard about Kanye West/Kim Kardashian; most people still will go up to them if they meet them and ask for a selfie - that's just fact. The last 1/100 is a hater - they will find fault in any car for any reason - best to avoid in any circumstance - these are the type that will find something negative to say if you pulled in in La Ferrari.

2) Performance: The NSX is faster, but it is also is much more insulated. The Mondial actually 'feels' faster because one is entuned to the mechanics in the different level. The Japanese motor is a marvel of smoothness and silk - nothing wrong if you like satin sheets. I don't like sheets too 'oily' and like something with more 'texture' - and the Tipo 119 is just that. The stick shift of the NSX is buttery smooth, but I prefer the rifle bolt snick-snack of the gatted - no right or wrong - just my personal preference.

3) Sound
    One sounds like either an appliance or Rice Rocket with exhaust; the Mondial a race car with a Tubi, Nouvalari, etc. I won't even go more into this. If you think the NSX sounds better then a Tipo 119 - more power to you, I just beg to differ.

4) Maitenance - yes - I had to put a lot of money into the Mondial when I first go her, but after I sorted out everything the 'previous' owners neglected - it's given me 20K miles of trouble free joy - will the NSX be more reliable had I kept her? Probably, but they will both reach partiy in terms of usage/vintage.

In closing - the NSX makes me know I've made a rational decision - and that's the problem, when is a sports car supposed to make you feel like you've put in the right % in your Roth IRA? The Mondial makes me feel like I'm going out with my Goomah (with my wife's approval) - talk about having best of everything.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It brings me great sadness to learn of my friends passing. Dr. Benjamin Brown was one of the first folks that introduced me to the Mondial. He was well known monthly event in Sausalito, Cars & Biscotti, a celebration of all marques that Ben founded and ran until his passing. He was a cool cat, and one of the friendliest Ferrari enthusiasts I've met. It was gentlemen like him that made me feel welcomed into the Mondial and Ferrari family.

"Ben was far more than a car enthusiast. At Stanford University Ben received his training as a Jungian analyst, and later he entered the field of radiology and brain imaging, specializing in functional MRI. Ben held the position of the chief of radiology at Kaiser Hospital in Portland, Oregon for two decades before settling in Sausalito. "

He wrote a great article for my blog. If all Mondial owners were like Ben, I am blessed indeed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wade, you have a 100% open invite anytime in the bay area my friend.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Matthew 6:19 and alexion like this.
  6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks Paul. It's been ages since I've been to SF, now I have another reason to revisit. :)

paulchua likes this.
  7. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I'm very saddened to hear that Ben passed away. He was a great guy.

paulchua likes this.
  8. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Wow, Paul, thanks for that awesome review and comparison. You had me captivated and wanting to read more.

During my frustrations of ownership, I often considered an NSX as a replacement for the Mondial, and the thought was "this must be a Japanese version of a Mondial, cheaper to maintain, pretty good looks, what's there to lose." The thoughts running through one's head when things aren't going their way are amazing. Now that the Mondial is sorted, it is truly amazing. I also have an AP1 s2000 and had an Integra Type R previously, so I'm well versed in Japanese cars. As great as they are, there's something extra special about the Mondial.

Temple likes this.
  9. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Sorry to hear that. I just read his article on your blog and it looks like he thoroughly enjoyed his Mondial t for a long time. Life is too short!

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    haha, you and I are kindred spirits!!! The I also had a Type-R and AP1!! ROFL.

I think you'll agree with me that the S2000 was the most uncomfortable of them all. I liked the engine, but its 9K RPM was both it's greatest asset and downfall. I thought it was very boring to drive unless you have it 6.5K plus, and that gets both old and tiresome outside the track. Also, that snap oversteer - lordy. I couldn't live with it even as a weekend car that is a car that belongs with the SCCA (especially AP1)

I LOVED the Type-R, but when I owned it - I was living in SoCal and the constant race challenges, stolen badges, people messing with it when it was parked (I would come back with a chocolate shake poured on it, ashtray contents on the hood, even one time where it was wrapped with fishing line.) . I don't know if it's still the case today, but back in the late 90's early 00s - it seemed to attract ********* haters - something that I admittedly was concerned about in the Ferrari and NSX, but thankfully people seem to give it respect - never had anybody mess with either car. It's a shame; I always felt the Type-R truly can be described as NSX jr.

11. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Wow, that's funny!
    I like the S2000 and I think the chassis is amazingly rigid for a convertible. I am also impressed in that it reminds me of the ITR, but I will admit, I'd rather have the ITR! I owned mine for around $15k and now I see fine examples going for $45k, so I think it's fair to say they are bound for collectability similarly to an E30 M3. The S2000 yields 80% of the looks and thumbs up of the Mondial, and it is New Formula Red with 16k miles, so it has that affect on people.

I never had an issue with haters on either car, but if I owned an ITR today, I still wouldn't bring it to the mall as I would be paranoid the entire time. I think the S2000 is a little less "sought after" in that regard.

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great to hear your thoughts, my friend! I have great admiration for all 3. Without a doubt, the Type-R got the 'worst' attention - I think this had to do with living in Los Angeles (my car was bone stock with no tint.)

I drove conservatively too, it's probably different now....back then every Integra had a "Type-R" badge, and boy racers were a dime a dozen. I think I got guilt by association with the 'other' "Integra guy" that pissed off some kid in the last Fast and Furious screening.

I never got much attention in the S2000 (I had Suzuka Blue) - bone stock - great car - but something I think I would only thoroughly enjoy on track. I put 20K miles on her - and sold to a former Miata owner.

NSX great car, but felt appliance like after a while instead of the Mondial, whereas it's still an event to drive it after all these years.

alexion likes this.
  13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sad to hear about Dr. Brown. Glad to hear about the joy he had with his Mondial. RIP Sir.

14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Freerange72, paulchua, sidtx and 3 others like this.
  15. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Nice!

16. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Il Steeg, paulchua and JLF like this.
  17. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    paulchua likes this.
  18. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  19. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
  20. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    I actually drive through SF quite frequently too, but now I too have another reason to visit!!

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  21. 328tobe

328tobe Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Luuda
    Allen S., paulchua, alexion and 3 others like this.
  22. CrazyDream

CrazyDream Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Allen S. and paulchua like this.
  23. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    awesome pictures! I hope to have my cabrio T finished in a couple of months to start enjoying a top-down drive in the sun :)

paulchua likes this.