Mondial QV headlight problem | FerrariChat

Mondial QV headlight problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Trevor Barnard, Jul 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trevor Barnard

Jul 23, 2008
    Hi Guys

I'm new here but don't know why as I've owned my Mondial for 8 years now! Perhaps I haven't been stumped before!

I need your suggestions to help me with a head light problem. My offside dipped headlight does not work. I've tried changing bulbs to no avail. If I test the bulb socket between feed and earth with the lights turned on there is voltage but with the bulb plugged in there doesn't seem to be. The main beam works okay. I've tried swapping a couple of relays around but still no go. I've tried 3 bulbs now that I had in the garage and I can't believe that they are all faulty! Am I missing something?

Regards to you all

Trevor

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #2 snj5, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
    Congrats on 8 year ownership - be sure to post a photo in the Showroom 'see our Mondials' thread if you haven't already.

What voltage are you getting at the plug? If you are getting power, the bulb should work - so perhaps not enough power? I'm sure you have checked grounds and all, but be sure also to clean the metal mating terminals and ensure the wire is fastened well. Electric DC current is notoriously affected by terminal surface corrosion.

Good luck and let us know!

3. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #3 350HPMondial, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First, electrical rule.
    1) make one change at a time.

Second.
    2) test your meter on a known voltage (12 V battery in your case,,, 120 V AC in other More dangerous situations.)
    ....... both before and, AFTER your reading.

Third.
    3) Trust your indications.

Idea,,, maybe the corrosion is inside the headlight socket.
    Change socket

If you have 12V that is ok,
    but maybe no amps?

Bust up a headlight,, make a test plug.
    Insert test plug into the socket, test for 12V.

Clean the grounds for the headlights,,
    they are behind the bumperetts.

Good luck.
    Edwardo
    1981 Euro Mondial 8
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Trevor Barnard

Jul 23, 2008
    I have 12 volts at light feed, infact between feed and earth. This would seem to indicate that earth is okay and as main beam works using the same earth then I am fairly sure that it is not an earth problem. I'll try the suggestion of breaking a bulb to check the bulb holder but again i am getting the reading by putting my meter's probes into the bulb slots. I'll have another check and I've also decided to change the n/s bulb with one of the three that I have just in case I do have 3 faulty bulbs!

Back to the garage!

5. Trevor Barnard

Jul 23, 2008
    Done all of the above and still no light! There's power to the broken bulb so it's getting through the connector okay. The earth, checked direct to battery, is sound. I've changed light unit with other side but still no joy. I'm really flumoxed on this one! In my simple mind if there's power and earth then there should be light!!!

Any other ideas?

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Ok - This frustration is so familiar with Italian electrics. If you have no kidding a good voltage at the plug and a good ground, the light should come on. So now we enter the crazy zone:

Are you sure you have the right bulb? - cross check with the other side, assuming the other side works. Swap bulbs side to side. This is the first thing I would do.
    After the bulb is installed, is there a pull on the wire that may affact the conductance at the plug to the bulb? Is there the possibility of a short?

If you no kiddin' have good power at the plug, I'd say it would have to be the wrong bulb, or the plug is wired wrong, or the connectors are corroded.
    Anyone else?

7. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Locate the correct relay for that lamp. Remove the relay and jump the terminals in the relay socket so that you no longer switch it. Plug in lamp and see what you get. Your relay may be so corroded that you get 12V when there is no load, but when you have a lamp in, the resistance in the terminals of the relay prevents the current from getting through. The pins on a normal relay to jump are 30 to 87 which is the load. The Ferrari may have a different pin assignment.

8. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Will be ceramic fuse connection, will give volts but low amps. Raise lights and turn fuse and all should return to normal. Them clean terminals in fuse box.
    Nick

9. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    I've seen this before and think you are assuming the ground is good
    simply because the main light seems to work. It can get it's ground
    through the dipped beam filament and work at reduced power. I place
    my bet on the earthing between headlight common prong and frame stud.

10. Trevor Barnard

Jul 23, 2008
    Thanks Nick but I am now even more confused! I don't have ceramic fuses unless I'm missing something???

11. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    No your not confused, the older cars had ceramic fuses, the Mondial has spade fuses.

12. pbrantuas

pbrantuas Rookie

Nov 9, 2016
    was there ever any solution to this problem??

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  14. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    I have this issue and I ended up placing a relay for my RH dipped beam..

15. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I also had this issue. It was the wiring between the fuse box and the bulb holder. I added a temporary spare positive wire directly from the fuse box to the bulb holder. This worked and I haven’t actually got round to finding a permanent solution as this works perfectly.