Mondial QV liner replacement solutions | FerrariChat

Mondial QV liner replacement solutions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by buzzed01, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzed01

buzzed01 Rookie

Jan 14, 2016
    Western Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi all,.
    My85mm Aluminium Nica sil coated Liners are damaged from sitting with moisture in them. The engine is a low comp U s engine. My plan was to rebuild it to stock specification. Does anyone here have liners for sale either new or second hand?

/ have not been able to locate 85 mm bore liners new anywhere.
    It would seem my options are as follows:
    1. Good second hand liner
    2. Recoat my liners
    3. Order custom liners from one ofthe Liner manufacturers...LAliners...Westwood...Laystall...Darton.

With option 3 there is the temptation to go up on bore diameter but it would seem this quickly leads to block machining, pistons and custom headgasket's. Not an inexpensive exercise.

Anyone on here been down this path and have Some experiences they could share?... or parts?!

My original thinking was to build her up stock and then run a supercharger to take advantage of the USA low comp engine... further down the track. If I did not go this route then perhaps option 1 and 2 would both benefit from higher comp piston but I've not located an economical high comp piston off the shelkf as yet...can euro pistons still be bought new?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on Superperformance web site , they are showing pistons in the 328 section. They have liners in the mondial section but only for the mondial 8, so too small for your needs. Very surprised they dont have 3.2 liners- try an e mail to them as usually very helpfull

3. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Superformance are crooks. I would not buy anything from them.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Not my experience. How so?

5. buzzed01

buzzed01 Rookie

Jan 14, 2016
    Western Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks guys, Superformance do not sell them.

I can confirm that standard liners to suit are not available any more without going to a second hand set or custom as far as I am aware.

A local Melbourne outfit, Electrosil, can also re-coat my original sleeves, but the price is the same as a ductile iron sleeve.
    L.A. Sleeve - They can make them in Aluminium with Nicasil coating or Iron (non standard). Ally with Nicasil is quite expensive comparatively.
    Carobu - Can supply ductile iron solution plus pistons to suit. They also do bigger bore options.

Things to note: Rings need to change if you change from Nicasil bore to ductile iron for compatibility.

Hope this can help others.

Cheers

6. buzzed01

buzzed01 Rookie

Jan 14, 2016
    Western Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I should also note that there is a typo in the original post. Mondial QV liners are 83mm bore. Not to be confused with the 85mm bore that is tempting to go to when one has to replace liners anyway. I don't seem to be able to edit the original post.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Why not go with plain liners as any decent machine shop will makes these easily, as long as you can get a ring set to suit. You are not going to notice any difference

8. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    I have a set of 8 QV liners,
    Some are like new......
    :)
    all, in very Good Shape,,,,
    for I saved the best of the bunch for my 308 motor,, but
    , I went with alloy steel liners and high comp 9.8 to 1 comp JE pistons, designed by NOREWOOD Autocraft..
    PM me Ill get back to you by Saturday
    Ed

9. buzzed01

buzzed01 Rookie

Jan 14, 2016
    Western Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks guys. Ed, pm sent.

Mike32, I am inclined to go with a ductile iron sleeve simply because the cost is modest and the much higher strength lends itself to tolerating boost down the track. If you just mean machine up a plain steel liner, yep I guess this is perfectly plausible also for stock replacement.

Anyone know of a supplier of rings to suit 83mm bore and iron liner?

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #10 mike32, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    By machine up, i was refering to a cast iron liner, i have had them made for an air cooled suzuki gs 1000 engine @76 mm bore. That was doing about 10500 rpm so no problems with them. Get them well honed after maching and away you go.
    We used a chrome top ring and iron 2nd. Oil ring was a 3 piece affair

At work we used to have worn liners chromed to bring them back to their original internal diameter- they were cast iron to start with @ 900.5 mm and their max wear was 905mm. Once they had been re chromed we had to fit non chromed rings to the pistons- ships engines are a bit bigger than mondial engines. Around 26 000 hp on that ship

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Superperformance are showing a 83 mm piston as 4th oversize for a mondial, so i would assume they have rings to suit- best to ask them if suitable