Mondial QV Rev Counter Troubleshooting | FerrariChat

Mondial QV Rev Counter Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MaseratiMike, Nov 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Folks. Now I have my QV Coupe back I want to sort the little jobs out.

Can someone please tell me where to locate the sensor and even a wiring diagram for the rev counter. Also anything to help troubleshoot why my rev counter doesn't work? (Loose wire or connection maybe?)

Thanks in advance
    Mike

2. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    If the engine starts I do not beleive it is the sensor. Not sure here, but I think that if the sensor is out, the engine will not start. Need help here, can someone else help please. The sensor is relatively easy to change, will look for picture.
    Peter

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Send me an e mail address and will scan the wiring dia. The rev counter on mone used to cut in and out on rough roads

4. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you Mike. My address is: [email protected]

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    E mail with wiring diagrams sent- anyone else want a copy while i am at it ?

6. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Most welcome. If your engine runs normally, it's not the sensor.

8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I have the same issue at the moment with mine.

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    There is a pot on the rev counter that might corrode. Mark its position, spray contact cleaner, move it left and right and reposition it on the mark. It might restart your instrument. Same trick might fix a lazy speedo too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I spent a little bit of time this evening trying to diagnose the issue further, without looking at the sensor or engine management side.

1) Removed the rev counter out of the dash (4x screws) and started the car (starts no real problem)
    2) I held a digital multimeter on DC Voltage reading - negative probe on the black middle ground terminal wire and positive probe on the green/black terminal wire on the back of the rev counter. Reading was a constant ~12.8Volts. <Confirms no wiring of supply issue there>
    3) Then I held the positive multimeter probe on the brown/black terminal wire, with the negative probe on the black middle terminal wire. At engine idle was measuring ~0.5V and revving the engine increases the voltage reading. I suspect this is normal as would indicate higher revs = higher voltage readings, to make the sensitive counter spring in the dial move?
    4) I decided to then dismantle the casing and took off the holding glue on the potentiometer in place, marked the position and rotated it backwards/forwards a few times. Then plugged the rev counter terminals back in and restarted the engine <Unfortunately still no movement of the rev counter>

So it appears the rev counter itself has malfunctioned. Next step is to potentially desolder and replace the SAK215 IC circuit, as that is the 'brains' of the rev counter electronics beyond the capacitors/resistors. The rest of the mechanical weight and spring mechanism look in nice condition, nothing dislodged or burnt out.

All else fails I will have to buy a replacement unit. Stefan or anyone else - not sure if you are having the same voltage readings on the wiring terminals, when you start/rev your car?

11. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I planned on replacing mine with one of the spares I have in a couple of days. Right now, I'm doing the interior for some more days

12. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok sure. I have ordered a replacement SAK215 IC chip, will wait for that to arrive and solder the replacement in and see if that resolves the issue...

13. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Success! The replacement IC chip arrived today and after fitting, my rev counter now works!

Less than £4 for the replacement IC chip.

I will post a DIY thread of the procedure, as I took lots of photos.

Thanks for the help guys

theunissenguido, StuR and Jeka like this.
  14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I replaced my rev counter with a spare one I had and now it's working.

On the other hand, my speedometer is not working. Opened it up today but didn't see any pot meters. I cleaned it with some elec comp spray and hope it works now. Here are some pics of the intestines ...