Mondial repaint with the correct Grigio tint. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial repaint with the correct Grigio tint.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Nov 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Looking good this way !
    Guido

MvT likes this.
  2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    That grey/red interior has got to be among the best colour combinations for the Mondial!

Freerange72 likes this.
  3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #28 MvT, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Then to think when I say the ad I really had my doubts on the interior color being red and it was for sale already for 3 years. However, I liked the outside and thought before having look that I always can paint it black or tan. Even my dad said at the time 'why do you want to have a look for a car with a red interior. Are you nuts?' :)

So off we went and arriving at the scene my opinion turned 180˚! I liked it and to my surprise my that changed his opinion as well!

The ad pics were overlighted and then the interior becomes a whole different color, which will put people on the wrong foot. I'm happy that I bought it.

You do need to have the right tint of grigio and than all falls into place. My color was of 2 tints and I always had a weird feeling that the combination was off and too rough metallic particles. Not many paint machines can make this paint, but if one can produce aluminum particles metallic you are on the right track. at the time it was a very rare paint. At least according to the guy (older) who has painted it for me. It's a very fine metallic then the ordinary one.

Ad pic inside the garage
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

My pic outside in the sun

4. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I have seen it in real and it's a very, very nice color!

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Revise: auto replace spelling check..

Then to think when I saw the ad I really had my doubts on the interior color being red and it was for sale already for 3 years. However, I liked the outside and thought before having look that I always can paint the interior black or tan. Even my dad said at the time 'why do you want to have a look for a car with a red interior. Are you nuts?' :)

So off we went and arriving at the scene my opinion turned 180˚! I liked it and to my surprise my old man changed his opinion as well!

The ad pics were overlighted and then the interior becomes a whole different color, which will put people on the wrong foot. I'm happy that I bought it.

You do need to have the right tint of grigio and than all falls into place. My color was of 2 tints and I always had a weird feeling that the combination was off and too rough metallic particles. Not many paint machines can make this paint, but if one can produce aluminum particles metallic you are on the right track. at the time it was a very rare paint. At least according to the guy (older) who has painted it for me. It's a very fine metallic then the ordinary one.

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Thx Johan! I guess you will soon see the new paint color as well :)

7. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Looking forward to that moment! :)

8. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks a fantastic job, my Mondial is also going in to the paintshop at the end of the month. My door/outer metal trims have exactly the same black paint peel too, so will also need sanding back to bare stainless steel....

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #34 MvT, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    It's really a Ferrari thing. Even on the 360 it starts to peal/chip off..
    Below is what you will find when you will take of the trims. Be careful when taking them off that you do not damage your doors and upper mid wing. I'm kicking in an open door, but it's really tricky and there is not really a good way. It's designed to be a one click fit. The rear section you will need to go under your wheel arch as it is attached with 2 nuts (See pic 2 with the pin holes).

Attached Files:

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Time for the rear window. The old one had clouds and decided to place a good used one, which I got from Stefan.

I stipped the rear window heating as it was not working for this window as well and also was the cause for the white clouds as the layered window was only sealed with tape. Removing the heating strip made it possible to seal the lamited window wit kit. I'm a frequent driver and I never used the rear window heating so I'm fine with it that is not working.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

StuR likes this.
  11. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    That new window looks very nice!

12. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Guido, dit is toch geen Zilver :)!

13. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
  14. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Niet !? oeps tijd voor de oogarts....
    Guido

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Thx, it's a nice one and the color matches! I'm afraid I'm not a luggage person to be honest.

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Reason why coupe rear windows get cloudy

The reason for me to replace the current one with a new second hand rear window was I had white cloud from driving outside in the rain. It not my intention to drive in the rain, but sometimes you get caught in it during your drive.

Ferrari put a copper strip around the window to feed the current to the rear window heating. However, the didn't seal it other then to put tape around it, which at the time would be waterproof, but over time the adhesive dries out. After that the chain reaction happens when you catch a rainy could. Water gets to the copper strip, it oxides, the water is trapped under the copper strip and between the tape. There you have it, first producing clouds and the windows start to delaminate.

I took the strip away and cleaned the new window as it was already in progress of getting into the same state. After having it kept inside for a few weeks I sealed it with black window kit that is used for bus windows.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jeka and StuR like this.
  17. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    That is a far better solution than original. Mine is starting to get cloudy as well, saw it for the first time a week ago. I am afraid there is no way to stop it from getting worse.

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    If you can get it out and let it dry. In my old window the clouds have disappeared when keeping it dry. I was surprised as I thought the clouds were irreversible. Apperently the moist gets out.

It simple job but you will need to remove the back of the back seats, rear saetbelts with all the trims and the upper ceiling trim. When removed you can push the window inwards out into the cabin after having pushed the window rubber behind the window frame on each side working your way up (One man's job). When you have it out you will notice how small this window actually is.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

StuR likes this.
  19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  20. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Thanks MVT - I resorted to a nice strip of black electrical tape along the bottom to simply hide it!! Will add this to all the other jobs and eventually see if sitting over the dehumidier works. Always assumed the window would need the rear (exterior) roof trims all off, glad it’s easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Well.. taking the window out not but putting it back in. sorry I hate to say it, but they need to go off. Not sure if you can get away with it in unscrewing the roof one from the inside and wiggle it out and back in..

22. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Typical. I had the side pieces off and made up replacement brackets which were either NLA or silly money - the original metal brackets had a couple of rusted of ‘pegs’ and there was some rust damage to where they clip in. I decided to leave the roof piece well alone as it fitted well.
    In fairness if it allows me to restore the rear window then an easy choice - allows for the subsequent respray or wrap dilemma! Luckily there’s a lot of other jobs first!

23. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  24. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Yeah mine was not dissimilar. It was one of the first jobs I did as one of side pieces was loose and had poor gap fitment.
    I had to replace the front screen about the same time and that was far worse...
    There’s enough body work pieces that need doing that
    I’ll be looking at a full spray - so it’s a good excuse to sort it all properly!

25. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Grigio over rosso is, in my opinion, the best combo for a Mondial: that's the one my wife selected for our t back in 1990, so i might be slightly biased, may be? :)

MaseratiMike, StuR and Jeka like this.