Mondial replacement wheels | FerrariChat

Mondial replacement wheels

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by FasterIsBetter, Jun 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I seem to recall some time back there was a thread about some replica wheels for the Mondial that were 16" and came from England and look just like the original 390 metric wheels (Speedline??). I've been searching the forum and came across some references to them, but can't find the thread that had a picture of them and info about sourcing. I even paged through all the forum listings here and can't find it. Can someone help, please????

Thanks,
    Steve

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  3. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Hi Steve,

Since you're looking for wheels, did you decide to keep your Mondi?

To save you some trouble here is the math on tire sizes for the Superformance wheels which are 16" X 7" width:

Original tire = 240/55 - 390

240 = width
    55 = aspect ratio
    390mm = wheel diameter (15.35")

Width X aspect ratio = section height, so 240X.55=132

Overall diameter = wheel diameter + (section height X 2)

So, the original tire/wheel overall diameter = 132X2+390 = 654mm = 25.75"

Therefore 16" tires that will closley approximate the overall tire/wheel diameter are:

245/50 - 16 which gives a tire height of 25.65"

225/55 - 16 which gives a tire height of 25.74"

205/60 - 16 which gives a tire height of 25.69"

The choices are limited if you are looking for just performance in a tire size of 225/55 but there is a nice selection of well rounded tires. I went with the Avon M500s. I got them from Tire Rack. Total cost of wheels, tires, shipping, mounting and tax came out to about $2k. The Avons have been great so far. Pleanty of grip for street use and very quiet. I can actually hold a conversation at highway speed now! Handeling is much improved and slow speed steering effort is about half of what it was.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Thanks, this was the thread I was looking for. Got the link to Superformance that I needed.

Doug, actually it looks like the Mondial is sold (assuming the money arrives this afternoon as promised). The buyer had heard about an after-market wheel because my original rims have the Michelin TRXs on them and he heard they are hard to come by and very expensive (which they are). So I wanted to show him a reasonably priced alternative that would allow him to buy regular 16" tires. I just couldn't locate that thread.

And if the sale goes through, I have my eye on a '78 308 GTS. It's in really nice condition and would make for a fun drive. I bought a Corvette Z06 over the winter that I'm using for track events, so the 308 would just be for fun driving and going to Ferrari/exotic events and having fun with. I've always loved the lines of the 308 and this one is a pretty one. Red/black.

Regards,
    Steve

5. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Good luck, hope both the sale and new purchase go smoothly. Can't argue with a 308. :)