Mondial T speedo problem | FerrariChat

Mondial T speedo problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by gidleigh, Jan 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    My speedometer starts at 10 mph. I imagine it should start a 0 mph. So is there an easy fix?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    Thanks for the Info. One of the reasons I was concerned was because when I drive by a radar speed sign the speedo indicates 5-6 mph faster then what the radar says. I thought maybe the needle starting at about 10 mph was the reason.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    Yes, that's sort of typical of all F speedometer -- a bit optimistic ;)

Although most cars do read a little high -- because manufacturers don't ever want to sell a car (with new tires) where the speedometer reads too low for legal reasons. Consequently, the typical "nominal" speedometer reads a little high, and only the worst-case speedometer, with the greatest error to the low side in the manufacturing process, reads correctly (with new tires).

Also, tires are their biggest diameter when new, so as they wear, the speedometer reads a little higher (of course, if you are running a different rear tire size than the stock size, that directly affects the speedometer reading).

5. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Don't know if your concern extends to actually doing something about the speed error...roughly $100 and some electrical under-the-dash diy. I am finishing up, have taken photos, and will be posting the procedure as soon as weather permits me to drive the car to dial in the speed correction.

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Like said:

- Bad News: A lot of Ferrari speedos show 10 MPH standing still.

- Good News: A lot of Ferraris are fast even when standing still

When your RADAR chirps, foot off the gas and let the engine bring you to speedlimit and you'll most likely be under. Then you can explain to the officer, anyway. as he'll almost always want to claim new revenue with you, how Ferraris are designed: I'm sure he'll listen :rolleyes: mine never do.

glory of exotics....get you into more trouble but fun getting there.

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Our t's spedo stops at 10 also. BTW, for a fairly accurate speed, double the tach in fifth gear.

dave

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #8 hank sound, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    Rachel claims she's doing at least 10 MPH - when in fact, she's just warming up in her garage.
    So, I gotta' think that 10, standing still - is the norm :):)

Cheers, Hank

9. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    No worries, mine does the same thing.

10. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    #10 lightning, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine is the same also, looks like it's normal, in fact the trip reset button would prevent the needle from returning to zero anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. gidleigh

gidleigh Karting

Nov 27, 2010
    Coronado, Ca
    Yes, I think it is normal. At lower speeds my speedo is about 3-4 mph slow. I went out yesterday with my gps and after 40 mph the speedometer is within the margin of error.

12. davidgovett

davidgovett Karting

Apr 9, 2010
    Ditto that. As I have to replace my speed sensor (called the Pulse Generator) I rely on my RPMs to gauge the speed and when the speedometer occasionally works, 4000 RPMs consistently equals 80mph in 5th gear. In fact, driving without the speedometer is not much of a problem. The only rush for me to replace the pulse generator is that it also advances the odometer. I need it working so I can keep up with my miles for maintenance. If the Tach goes down, I'm screwed! Can't live without that.

This also shows how ridiculously simple it would be to freeze the mileage to keep it low for putting it on sale. (Just pull the plug at the speed sensor/pulse generator)

Dave G.

13. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    That's been a problem with Ferrari's FOR-E*V*E*R*...

You see a car with 8,000 ODO miles and it looks like 50,000 well run for the hills...

14. gwroclaw

gwroclaw Rookie

May 28, 2010
    If you look closely at the speedometer face there is a small pin on the face to keep the needle from dropping below about 10mph.

It is also ridiculously easy to take the speedo a part and roll back the odometer to whatever you'd like. I just took the speedo of my Mondial T apart to fix the trip odometer reset. It didn't work and turned out to be a cracked gear housing where the push button moves a "gear rack" that turns a set of gears to roll the trip odo backwards.

Don't worry I'm not rolling the main odometer back. I recently got the car and it is full of small niggling issues like this one. I finally am getting around to fixing this one. My next one is fixing the turn signal lever reset.

Since most ferraris change hands often requiring an odometer reading at re-titling time a car fax will indicate any odometer tampering.