Mondial to Monterey 2015 travelogue | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mondial to Monterey 2015 travelogue

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TheMac, Aug 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Good stuff. I grew up in Petaluma. Nice little town. Location of the wrist wrestling championship of the world and was known for it's egg production. I can occasionally find chickens at the grocery from Petaluma around the country. Their annual parade is the Butter and Egg day parade. Enjoy!

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I envy you!

Sounds like a trip full of wonderful memory's.

Awesome!

3. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Love your thread. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

4. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    OMFG! thats cheap!

Jon

thank you for your posts so that we can live it virtual through you!

5. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    We thought Petaluma was great. We went downtown and walked around, went into some shops. There was a mid-week farmer's market going on. 2nd street was closed for it for a couple of blocks. We ate at a really nice farm-to-fork place for dinner.

6. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #56 TheMac, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Day 13: We drove from Petaluma, CA to Eureka, CA today. That was 275 miles. That may not seem like a lot, but we went via highway 1 along the coast. Our average speed was probably somewhere between 30 and 40 miles per hour. Even without traffic, I don't think I'd have been going much faster than that. It is a seriously twisty road, lots of 2nd and 3rd gear.

We also drove the "Avenue of the Giants" off highway 101 just south of Eureka. It's a 32 mile stretch winding through the Redwood forest. Of course we stopped to look at the trees along the way, and even managed a special detour. I can now say that I drove my Ferrari into a tree... and came out without a scratch! Yeah, I may be 10 years old.

It was cool this morning, so I drove about half the day with the top up. That's the first top-up driving all trip! I needed the top down before we got to the Redwoods, though. The experience would be missing something with the roof on the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #57 TheMac, Aug 20, 2015
  8. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #58 TheMac, Aug 21, 2015
  9. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #59 TheMac, Aug 21, 2015
  10. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Absolutely awesome .. would love to do this trip ..

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I thoroughly enjoyed this thread and want to wholeheartedly thank you for posting such a wonderful travel diary...

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    You in your Mondial in the corkscrew! Doesn't get much cooler than that!

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Are you going to drive to Port Angeles, WA, take the ferry to Victoria, do a pub crawl and then drive north and take another ferry to the mainland? :D

The Marriott in Victoria was nice to me and let me self park in the valet area which was underground.

14. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #64 TheMac, Aug 23, 2015
    I wish I could say that my travel story has a happy ending, but it doesn’t. My wife and I are fine, safe and unharmed. I cannot say the same for my Mondial. At approximately 2:15pm PST, I was travelling east on Interstate 84 approximately 25 miles east of Arlington, Oregon. There was a minivan in the same lane as me (the left-hand lane), in front of me by about 2 seconds. As we passed two cars and a semi-truck pulled off on the right-hand shoulder, I saw a dark shape emerge from under the minivan in front of me. I did not have time to maneuver to avoid it, and struck it virtually on the front centre-line of my vehicle. I would learn later that it was a large piece of driveline from the semi parked on the side of the road. There was a loud bang as my car struck the piece of driveline. The car jumped upward slightly as the front axle high-centered on the debris, rendering the steering inoperable. After several feet skidding on top of the debris, the piece of driveline dislodged and emerged out the back of the car. I braked, and safely pulled over to the right-hand shoulder. Once the car came to a stop, I checked myself and checked on the health and safety of my passenger, my wife. I then safely exited the vehicle and checked on the damage to the underside of the car. The car had hemorrhaged coolant for about 50 feet back up the highway, and was still spewing coolant. It was not from the radiator, but from a fitting I could not see about a foot behind the radiator. Also, the accelerator pedal was now lodged behind the brake pedal. The gear-shift linkage was operable, but the alignment had been damaged by the impact from the debris.

I know the most important thing in this entire incident is that no one was injured. After my initial inspection, I thought the damage might not be too terribly severe, that I might have gotten away with a punctured coolant pipe and a damaged throttle assembly. Once I jacked the car up, though… I discovered that the front cross-member of the frame suffered significant damage.

This is the surprising end for my 1988 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet. I am sadly confident that this is the last ride of 76621. After witnessing the twisted front clip of a Mondial QV last week, and hearing about a friend from Calgary whose 328’s front end was backed up onto by a GMC Yukon, and reminding myself after both of those incidents to be as careful as possible when driving home, my car will now be the subject of an insurance claim for which I am virtually certain it will be written off. 76621 had 65,991 miles on the odometer at the time of the accident. I was two and a half weeks from my sixth anniversary of ownership. We were 614 miles from home, after 3,067 miles so far on this trip.

If you look at the picture of my car from the back, with the trail of coolant out the back, what the picture doesn’t show is my guts strewn all over the highway behind the car as well. They were ripped from my stomach when I saw how bad the damage to the undercarriage was. I have been saying many of what I think are the right things, like, “it’s just a car,” or, “that’s what you have insurance for,” or, “it’s better to have loved and lost…” Mostly, I think you’re supposed to say these things to make yourself feel better. At the moment, it’s not working. I have tried not to beat myself up about what happened. I can’t stop replaying the accident over in my mind. I don’t think I could have swerved to avoid the debris (the thought that went through my mind as I first saw it was, “what is-BANG!”). I don’t think I followed the car in front too closely. I think there was no fault of my car’s or her driver’s. I think this was just a racing incident, as they say. Although, I really hope my car’s driver didn’t let her down. I am bracing for an unhealthy dose of survivor guilt.

Tomorrow, the most faithful Mondial (which is to say, the most faithful Ferrari, the most faithful car) an owner could ever want will go home on her shield, so to speak. I’ll let you all know what shakes out (After all, I’m not an automotive repair expert. Maybe, hopefully, I’m very much mistaken as to the amount of damage suffered, and it’s repairable. Or better yet, I’m still asleep in my hotel room in Portland dreaming this entire thing).

Even if my car is toast, I don’t regret driving the car down to California for this trip. At the side of the road, I told my wife that a bigger tragedy than having the car meet its demise this way would be not driving the car at all, as that seems to me a waste of what the car is. Don’t get me wrong, I fully respect the “preservation” movement. I think car museums, and museum-cars have their place, but 76621 was not one of those. She was a driver. She was made to be driven. I wish this hadn’t happened to her, but I don’t wish I hadn’t driven her. I bought an admission ticket to the Ferrari Amusement Park when I bought this car; I’ll be damned if I wasn’t going to ride the ride.

I was on the side of the road after the accident for four and a half hours waiting for a tow today. I had a lot of time to think about the accident and the car. I began to think of my trip in a strange way. Life has a way of making our plans irrelevant sometimes, and today is an example of that. But after I saw the damage, I had weird thoughts, like as though my car was a terminal patient with only a short time left to live, and this trip was like the “make-a-wish-foundation” for the last two weeks of its life. We drove a lot of miles and a lot of great roads. We visited national monuments and national parks. We drove through beautiful mountain passes. We drove a bridge 486 feet above the Snake river. We went to Reno and lived it up (and didn’t lose any money gambling!). We drove the Golden Gate Bridge. We drove through beautiful rolling hills in wine country, and if that isn’t what this car was made for, I belong in a padded room somewhere painting pictures of fruit with my toes. We went to the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and rubbed elbows with automotive royalty. We went to the FCA meet, like a big family reunion for her. We drove the track at Laguna Seca (yeah, that was kind of a highlight). We drove the Pacific Coast Highway, and my arm muscles got happily tired working the wheel through all those turns. Through every mile, she was flawless.

That’s how I’ll remember her.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #65 TheMac, Aug 23, 2015
  16. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #66 TheMac, Aug 23, 2015
  17. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #67 TheMac, Aug 23, 2015
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow, unbelievable...this is so disappointing yet also like you said..it seems as if some greater power/fate determined this path. all I can say is I repsect you very much and your gracious attitude. I hope the insurance money = a ton. I look forward to hearing about your next Ferrari.

Godspeed sir!!!

19. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I'm so sorry to hear this epilogue. This journey was truly epic and completely wonderful, and it is really sad to hear it end this way. But your attitude is simply amazing and you should be very proud of having such an incredible life experience that many find so inspirational but few will ever emulate. I am so happy that no one was hurt. And maybe, just maybe, you'll find the same motivation that took you and your car to Monterey on this grand life journey to use to now direct your energy and passion to keep the Mondial and not let her be totaled and bring her back. I know you like many others on this forum feel that the Mondial is more special than simply a car.

20. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Mac,
    Life happens. These last two weeks which you have so graciously taken the time to share with the rest of us, allowed us all in the mondi world a chance to ride along and imagine ourselves doing the same thing. Your writing and pics, brought it all to reality. And now, this last chapter, if anything, makes the trip even more real. We do not exist in a fairy tale world but a real one. Your words, so beautifully capture how I (for one) would hope to respond to a similar event.

As you note up front, the most important part is that you and the Mrs, are perfectly fine other than the emotional shock of the experience. But then the way you have parsed your reflections on the weeks and the experience of the driving, the raison d'etre of owning a car like a mondi, captures the essence of having something to enjoy, to use, not just to admire as an object. You have again given us a wonderful perspective about what is truly important.

Perhaps the repairs will not be as difficult and you will be back on the road again and she will again be flawless. But whether that is the case or not, your final reflections are spot on and thank you for your openness and introspection on a event that would shake us all.

Best wishes to you and the Mrs and with hopes that you are soon to be on the road again in a red prancing stallion.

Gerald

21. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    #71 TheMac, Aug 23, 2015
  22. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Funny prose.
    Pity.
    Insurance money will either repair or hopefully get an equally as good red cab.

23. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Jon, I'm so gutted for you Mate. We're on holiday in Australia at the moment and have been reading your blog with great interest and admiration. We too are 'doers', we get out and use these cars, sometimes really hard, we don't sit them in the garage and just polish them. We drive in rain and even snow and reason why we always use them is life's too short. Don't let this knock your confidence, you were in the wrong place right time and nothing to could have done would change the outcome.
    On the upside the car can be fixed as good as, or maybe even better than before, I've seen far worse things than this in the UK. The thing is you must find a really top of the line shop and audition them for the job, also don't go to just 1 go to 3 and then choose. OR if you want to get out of this car and look for another then that might be an option. The other option is take a payout and buy back your car as salvage at a very low price, this can sometimes work very much in your favour in the end.
    The thing is there's nothing you could have done, neither of you are injured thank God.
    The car is fixable.
    Get back in the saddle asap because you won't have another thing like this happen ever again statistically.
    Just in parting....
    My friends immaculate Rolls Royce that he never bloody drove for fear of being hit.....
    totally written off on his drive one morning.... Yes a big tree from next door shed a massive branch that virtually flattened it!! Game over and he had it for 20 years, what a waste of a car, a car he never really even drove.

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jon, I'm sorry to hear this, your trip up to now has been awe inspiring!
    Thank god you and your wife have your health, just shaken up by this incident but you know, this could have been alot worst ! I might be in the minority on this but I dont think that your car is a parts car just yet. From what you have described, all can be repaired in the right hands and I dont think it will break the bank but of course all of the main components will have to be checked out by an expert to really know what you are dealing with.

I dont know how much mechanical skills you have but if that was my car, I would replace or fix it myself even if it takes me 10 years to do it. Labor cost is the biggest part of this repair .

Best and thanks for sharing, keep us posted.

Mike

25. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    What a sad end to a totally epic trip , but thank god no one was hurt ...

Lets hope she can be repaired and back on the road soon .... best of luck !