Mondial with wrong fuelpump!! | FerrariChat

Mondial with wrong fuelpump!!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dino 208gt4, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    I'll get my Mondial back today from the garage.
    I had problems with starting a warm engine.
    Coldstart absolutly no problem, warmengine is staring for 2-3 minutes till the battery was almost empty.

There was a new fuelpump fitted 8 months ago so that couldn't be the problem. It had to be the injectors so 8 new Bosch injectors are installed.
    Still same problem. After calling and searching with Ferrari dealer Kroymans they found out the wrong fuelpump was mounted 8 months ago.

Original a Mondial has a fuelpump with a valve so the injectors stay under pressure when you shut of the engine. A pump without a valve was mounted and the injectors have problems to built up pressure. Kroymans says they made a mistake to deliver wrong pump and now delivered an original one.
    Problem solved!! :)

Lucky it is raining very much so the salt will be gone soon. Can't wait to go out for a spin!! ;)

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yup, fuel pump needs a check valve, or it won't hold pressure, hence the hot start problem....new injectors is not a bad thing if yours are original...the early ones were steel, and can develop poor spray patterns with age, and can start to corrode. The newer brass ones should be much better. I noticed my 328GTS ran much stronger and smoother above 5,000 rpm with the new injectors.

3. Dino 208gt4

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Yes, the injectors where from steel and they fitted brass ones. The steel ones had little corrode on it. That's why they first thought that was caused the problem. My mechanic already told me the car ran even better now above 3500-4000 rpm.

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I'm glad the new injectors were an upgrade, but I'm still annoyed that they had NO IDEA what they were doing when they replaced them. What's with the mindset of mechanics to just replace stuff and *hope* it's going to fix the problem??? Yes, the injectors were old, but they should have replaced the fuel pump and then ASKED if you wanted to upgrage them. Not just stuck you with the bill.

I'd have demanded a full refund for the injectors, or at least cut a deal.

Ken

5. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    This happens all of the time. Hence, why you see so many ?'s about hot start problems persisting even after new pumps, accums, etc. Plus, the early QVs used a different check valve than later ones. Many less knowledgeable shops just match up the Bosch #'s or replace the pump with what they hear is the correct pump.

6. Dino 208gt4

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Hi Ken,
    the mechanics did't think about the fuelpump because it was totally new.
    The offical Ferrari dealer send the wrong pump but the mechanis didn't noticed. I got no bill because it was all done under "guaranty". I just bought the car 2 weeks ago there.