Mondials For Sale | Page 117 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    One of the posts made hit the nail on the head to me when the person stated that there are different kind of buyers for these kinds of cars meaning some people can buy one that has been sitting for years and perform all the mechanical labor themselves while others don't have the time or just don't care to work on the cars and prefer to pay someone else to work on them. Others like me like to tinker and do detail stuff, I can do minor mechanical stuff but I know what my capabilities are and I'm not going to be tearing into a motor but most of the needs that this car had were things I could handle. I think the buyer got a really good deal.

paulchua and Edgewood121 like this.
  2. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I agree that it was an honest car judged too harshly. I would also say its an example of the problem with BAT, which is a site geared to flippers and collectors, not so much the enthusiast who drives and maintains their classic car. My guess is that the acceptance of the car was conditional on the seller setting a relatively low reserve. When I sold my vintage BMW (a rust-free 2002 with a rebuilt motor), I could get it accepted only by offering it at no reserve. The people who frequent the site know this, and that's why you saw them bidding in the minimum increments: $27,250, $27,500, etc. If the car was auctioned by a flipper, the reserve would be high so the seller and make a profit, and so people make bigger bids, rightly thinking that it makes no sense to bid incrementally if you're under the reserve. I saw the exact same pattern with this Ferrari that I saw with my BMW. The real enthusiasts who knew 2002's appreciated the fact that the rocker panels were solid enough that it could be supported by oem jack that pushed up on the lower rocker panel; the BAT crowd focused their criticism on the cracks in the dashboard from the Arizona sun. With this Mondial I liked the fact that it had an upgraded fusebox and was in excellent mechanical condition; the BAT crowd focused on the lack of AC and the paint.

SonomaRik, paulchua and Edgewood121 like this.
  3. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    That entire auction just made me sad. It looked like a decent car that had been maintained but had a few issues, like they ALL do. Its amazing to read some of the questions asked during these auctions by people who seem to know as much about Mondials as I do about the Martian rover. Learning is always a good thing, but there are people out there who just want to troll as well. The fact that there seemed to be a bit of rancor between the seller and the high bidder was also too bad. Everyone puts there car up for sale for their own reasons, but it would have been hard to let the car go for that kind of money. This helps to reinforce the "cheap Ferrari" reputation of these cars. The reserve must have been yanked at the end, or set too low for a reason known only by the person selling, as is certainly his perogative. I thought the seller who seemed honest to a fault, deserved better, both in cash and in treatment from the BAT peanut gallery. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this one back on BAT in a few months with a higher reserve.

4. freccia75

freccia75 Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Switzerland
  5. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    djs308 and AAmsden like this.
  6. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
  7. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
  8. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    If the seller of the above BAT car is a member here, please give me a PM. I’m interested and local to you. Thanks.

9. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    The BAT car above (1987 red/tan coupe) "was bid to $39,250" so I assume it didn't hit the reserve.

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    In the comments section the owner stated that his reserve was 45k. He also said he had a wholesaler offer him 40k before the auction.

11. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    Google is your friend. Search by his BaT name. You may find his email address/contact info. I did.

Better hurry though. He dropped another note on BaT that looks like he is selling to the wholesaler.

12. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Thanks guys. I’ll try to get a hold of him.

13. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I wonder if the wholesaler is one of our Houston-area Fchatters that owns a small dealership and has a fondness for Mondials? He has two other 3.2 Coupes in this color combo...

2cam

14. sinistermist

sinistermist Karting

Mar 23, 2016
  15. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    :)

Not me on this particular car.

I do have three Mondial 3.2 coupes right now. One will be coming to the market soon, and it's going to blow everyone's mind (low mileage, extremely rare and beautiful color combo, fully documented, multiple Cavallino award winner... ok, I'll stop teasing...)

djs308 likes this.
  16. sinistermist

sinistermist Karting

Mar 23, 2016
    With a price to match I am sure. This one is cheap. Needs some love but cheap.

17. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
  18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
  19. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    LOL... I saw that too but thought it was a typo... I didn't read the details.

My guess is that it had some sort of after-market rims or maybe 348 rims and the owner/seller wanted to go back to OEM look but couldn't find OEM wheels for a 3.2. Just my guess.

James

20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The owner said that it did in fact come with aftermarket wheels so he got in touch with Coker tire and they recommended the metric wheels. I would of gone with superformance rims.

21. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The metric rims may be an odd choice when other options are available. However, they are OEM correct for this car. 87s were built with either metric or 16 inchers. So it's not "wrong" to go that route. Just more expensive. Superformance rims are not OEM "style" for a 3.2 Mondial. If it were my car, I'd have searched for 16" OEM 3.2 rims and make things easier down the road for tire selection.

22. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Nice! Did you pick up the ‘86 Grigio Coupe in Houston by chance?

2cam

23. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    For an 87, it has the clean convex spokes but $500 per tire sucks. I have only seen metric tires on the early chromadora wheels

24. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
  25. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I love Grigio don't think I have ever seen a Grigio 3.2 coupe.