Mondials For Sale | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    The skunk car.

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Is that 61,000 miles? And a 4x4?

3. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    I keep coming back to the issue of finding the "cheapest". Maybe because I was on the same trip back in the day. The car is in Spain, you are at least a thousand kilometers away. Add up what it costs you to take a look at it (and return with nothing to show for). Then transportation (on own axle, you need insurance, fuel and overnight stays). Getting the paperwork changed, a couple hundreds easily...the list goes on and on, not to speak about a breakdown along the way.
    I am repeating myself here...the most sensible thing for you probably is too just look at cars that are easily within your regional range. It is astonishing how different cars that on paper appear to be very similar feel and appear in real life, I would not be surprised that you come back after this exercise with a much better understanding what you really want to look for.

Cheers

braq

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said Paul...from another Paul...

haha

5. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    1987 Ferrari Mondial

I did look at this car since it's down the street from me. It looks like it has been kept inside it's whole life and it's very clean and untouched but he has never had the belts done that he can remember since 1990. He said he replaced the clutch over 10 years ago so I would assume any reputable shop would have recommended the belt service. It does start and runs great but it's a little risky to drive with 25 year old belts.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #131 Wade, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks great in pictures! And one of only 23 Mondial Coupes imported into the US.

Realistically, about ten grand too high but, hey, SF pricing. ;)

Thanks for posting.

ZFFXD21A6H0068659
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Anyone looked at that White/Brown car up in Canada? The engine bay looks really cruddy despite their claim of having spent $10K on mechanical service. So I am wondering how the rest of it looks close up, accidents, rust ...

8. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    The Beverly Hills Coupe is about the worst example of Mondial I have ever seen. Paint color does not match, wheels look out of place, rusty body, shot interior, engine bay missing air cleaner?? Would soak up $20K in a flash and be worth $22.5K when done.

9. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agreed. I only included it to show the range of what's available for what price at the moment. The cars I see advertised at that place are almost always in disastrous condition, in need of pretty much full restoration. I'm not suggesting anybody buy that one!

10. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Been looking for a Mondial in Seattle, and got in touch with both sellers of the white one in Vancouver and the red one in south SF. But haven't seen either in person.
    White is asking US$40k, the red $43k.
    The one in Vancouver has been sitting for a long time, and the major has been done to bring it to driving. CAD$13k was spent on the major service. There might still be some work needed on the ABS computer or the brakes.
    The one in SF has not had a major since current owner purchase in 1990.

11. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #137 2cam, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Pretty sure that car has a salvage history. Not too many yellow mondi cabs around and there was one up here in MN or northern IA for sale a couple of years back. MN/IA guy had a body shop and repainted the car (not sure if yellow is OEM color), also IIRC MN/IA owner told me the car headed to TX

13. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Here's one the did not get sold at 30.000 euro a year ago and which is put back on sale for .... 75.000 euro! Very optimistic guy :)
    I inspected the car 14 months ago, nice T, but dents in the front hood from the Vespa scooter that fell several times against the Mondial. Battery did not work at that time and test drive was not possible because no papers ...

Ferrari mondial coupé t 3.4i v8 221 kw (300 pk) - Te koop | 2dehands.be

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    I spoke to the Dallas guy ... he "knows nothing" about the car, "uncle" gave it to him, and it seems it's on an out-of-state title and has been for many years, which means it's not registered and not exercised.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The yellow one above? Looking at the photos I'd guess that the quarter window motor is inop as well.

16. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    New 3.2 coupe listed in classifieds. Sounds really nice for those looking.

17. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I emailed him and suggested that he might have better luck selling it if he updated the model name to Mondial from Mundale. :)

This one looks like a project for sure. Probably a salvage car as noted above by Meister.

2cam

That looks like beautiful car!

Texbike

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Is that a typo that he put 26k into it in the last 2 years?

19. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    White Canadian Coupe sold today ... made $28K on ebay but I think it sold offline to some guy from WI.

20. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    That might make the other 87 Coupe in SSF look like an even better deal. Half the miles, less owners, and both need a major service. I think you can get the SSF car for $5k less than he is asking considering it needs a full service and probably new tires too. The ones on it look new but are probably 8 years old. I'm not in the market for a Mondial but if you are it's a very clean untouched car. Even the drivers seat still looks perfect.

21. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
  22. nurlabys

nurlabys Rookie

Aug 24, 2015
    Hey everyone, I'm the buyer of the white 3.2 Mondial that was listed in Hemmings (for sale by Autoform in Vancouver), and I am indeed some guy in WI as speculated above :) I just joined ferrarichat and I'm excited to be part of the community!

There was some discussion about the high price being asked for this car, which was of course a concern at first, but after seeing it in person and talking to the mechanic (Milo) I decided to make what I feel was a reasonable offer and it was accepted. Major service was just completed and all mechanical and electrical systems are good to go, and it drives great! This is my first Ferrari, but I've owned and maintained older European cars for a few years so the... ahhh... "character" of an old Italian is very welcome. Still finalizing details for import and shipment, but I am very much looking forward to its arrival!

23. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    What you pay for a car is really not the big deal. You can't really lose a lot of money on these cars if you keep them for a few years. At worst you will get your money back. It's what is costs you to keep them running that is the issue. You can easily double up your investment if the car needs major work. And that you don't typically get back. So as long as they did honest work on the car and addressed all the manifest and latent issues you will be OK. I have to say the engine bay on that car put me off. It may all be sound but it certainly looked unloved.

24. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Welcome to the family. If You are happy we are happy for you. Please post lots of photos.