Mondials For Sale | Page 66 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I know nothing of this actual car, but I did buy my 88 Mondial cab from this seller in 2015 and he is a first rate guy. Very knowlegable and honest.

2. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Project cars that are often mid-represented. That said, and as Paul said above, they do occasionally get some “winners” (good, clean examples). Think of them as wholesalers.

Temple

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    2cam likes this.
  5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    paulchua likes this.
  6. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    2-3 years ago what would you have said it would sell for? $30-35k? And you would have been right!! Anyone here remember the t coupe of about 3 years ago that Ferrari of New England had for many, many months? I remember the ask as only $45-50k. Eventually it went to another dealership (a Honda or Toyota dealership?) where it finally sold. All of us should go back in time, only a couple years ago, in this same thread to really see and appreciate the love Mondials are getting now. Anyone notice that TWO 328s sold in the past week or so on BaT for less than $60k? And here we are talking about the “lowly” Mondial reaching these same heights (sale price). Granted this is another garage queen/low-mileage example but 2-3 years ago if anyone on the Mondi board here was to suggest $60k for a 3.2 coupe they would have literally been ridiculed (I know we’re too mannered/too cultured a group for quite that). My point is that there should be no doubt that the Mondial is finally getting the love/appreciation she has long deserved. What makes this even more remarkable is that there has been a noticeable “pull-back” in the Ferrari market in the past year. A year or so ago one would (very) rarely see a 550 Maranello list for under $150k. Today that’s the norm. I can’t speak for other Ferrari models but I am seeing similar sentiments elsewhere on f-chat (market pull-back). But NOT the Mondial!! Every week it seems we see, on BaT anyways, a new and surprising result. For this example i’ll echo Paul, I think $60k (w/ commission) is about right. Still a very strong number from where these were until quite recently (sale price). Forza Mondial!!

Temple

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  7. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Yours was a steal Mike!! You should be very happy. A beautiful, well cared for/fully sorted, albeit with a couple of nits, and a driven example. And a one-owner car too wasn’t it? Or a long-time same owner car? In any case EXACTLY what you were looking for!! What a score!! Congrats again.

Temple

2cam and Mark C Harvey like this.
  8. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    With 2cam and I in the peanut galllery,..I’ll venture 65k. :cool:.

paulchua and 2cam like this.
  9. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    As I pointed out to 2cam there was a veritable “flood” of 3.2 coupes sold in the past 2-3 months: your’s Mark, then 2cam’s, and also scaledetail’s (Stephane) 3.2 coupe. I’m also aware of another 3.2 coupe that sold via a private sale in that same time period. Great to see these cars finally getting some love. Such a beautiful, clean design (in my opinion anyways- ymmv )

10. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    It really is amazing to see the transformation of the “image” of these cars. Again only 2-3 yrs ago NO WAY would we be discussing these type prices/values for the Mondial. Btw you scored too Mark. And what a great way to have the car “delivered” (x- country drive). There isn’t/can’t be a better introduction to your new to you Italian mistress!! Congratulations.

Temple

paulchua and Mark C Harvey like this.
  11. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    I’m going to say 58 sans commission (so 62 or thereabouts w/ the buyer’s premium/commission). Guess that means I have the “over”.

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  12. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Thanks Temple! I am completely enjoying the car. Been doing lots of drives with the wife and kids. It’s coming into a nice time of the year here in CT, so will make the most of it before they salt the roads...have you still got your sites on a T? Or have already bought something?

13. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    They ARE great cars. We're just telling the truth! ;)

2cam

Mark C Harvey and paulchua like this.
  14. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Temple, I don't know - I may disagree with you a bit on this one. I think that the BaT auctions over the past couple of years have probably helped the image of the cars a bit (with the appropriate comments and community support to a broader audience). However, I would venture that there hasn't been a tremendous uptick in pricing on "average" cars. It's only the low mileage, exceptional examples that are pulling the $$$. Otherwise, it seems that the average cars are trading in about the same range that they have for the last several years. Nothing wrong with that of course... ;)

As for the car that I picked up, it appears that I'm the 5th or 6th owner. Fortunately, the prior owners all seem to have appreciated and cared for the car while it was in their care. There are roughly $38K in receipts that came with the car since the mid 90s!

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  15. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Agreed 2cam; the examples we are seeing/discussing are mostly very low mileage garage queens. It will be interesting to see what a good “driver” (well maintained AND documented) 3.2 coupe or a t coupe would bring. But it’s the sentiment (read: the comments) that I see with the BaT listings that’s so noticeably different, to me anyways.

gsfent, 2cam and paulchua like this.
  16. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Mark,

I still have my sights on a couple of privately held t’s that I hope are still available (not being aggressively marketed). That being said my first (lol) Mondial, with luck, will (hopefully) be a 3.2 coupe. I’ll know for sure early in the new year (2019)

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  17. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Already at $32.5k and we’re still in Day 1!! I like my chances at the “over”.

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  18. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Oh my goodness. This is the one. First of all, thank you original owner for allowing detailed photos of bill of sale, title, etc. Most owners don't do this (understandingly so) But I have one question and a observation.

The msrp for the Mondial in 1988 was $83,900. The car was purchased in November of '88. The bill of sale shows selling price of $68,825 with no trade in.

The exotic car market was was heating up in 1988 and went bat **** crazy in 1989. Did this new Ferrari leave a dealers showroom with a $15,000 discount?

Joe

2cam and paulchua like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +1

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1, the Mondial seems to be catching up overall while nearly all other models are correcting.

2cam likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    2cam, I agree with you, these are garage queen outliers. So they will commend top prices. I have a theory that some folks held on to them though, until market conditions improved.

Ferrari is a different car company now. Folks looking for that old analog feel will have less and less out there to choose from.

gmonsen and 2cam like this.
  22. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I say $75K on this one.

paulchua likes this.
  23. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    My first Mondial was a 3.2 coupe. A great car and a great engine. Steering was a bit heavy for city driving/parking, but such a delight at road speed.

paulchua likes this.
  24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And above top dollar for every one of them.

Drewbdo likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hm..looks like it didn't hit reserve at a high of 45. (so 48,300 if you count commision)

sounds like they are working out a deal - I can see them going to 55 perhaps to seal the deal? Still, below the 60 I called and illustrates the law of diminishing returns when it comes to low mileage. The delta we saw between the 500-mile Mondial and the 2200 mile one was what, 10K?