Mondials For Sale | Page 68 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    It also didn't help that his auction ended on Columbus Day, a definite oversight by BaT. They don't let auctions end on the weekend, holidays should be treated the same.

alexion and 2cam like this.
  2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Good point! I hadn't considered that.

2cam

3. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I agree with your points and will add a couple of facts to the dialogue.

Valeo’s are rare, but they are not complicated. People are afraid of what they don’t know, but this system is reliable and genius. Since it’s a Valeo Mondial, it’s perceived as an oddity. If it were the one-off Agnelli F40, I can almost guarantee it would be a record sale.
    I love manual transmission cars. I leased a 2015 m3 and had to have a manual, my daily driver is a ‘99 Infiniti with a rare 5-speed. I love the engagement and thrill of the manual. That being said, nothing is lost with the Valeo. You still need to modulate the throttle and shift gears like a manual transmission.
    Since there’s so few of these cars, it’s hard to determine what will go wrong with them. The only pattern I’ve noticed is that the clutch ECU can go bad. The capacitors leak, corroding the circuit board. Mine has been replaced by Dave Helms. Good to go, fixed by the best in the business. Along with the rebuild came several engine management tweaks that now enable the car to run like a Swiss watch. The point here is that the expensive stuff is behind us and the resource to work on the car has been discovered. A value add worth thousands.
    Lastly, in 2015 Burch1’s 34k/mile Valeo sold for $75k on eBay. The person who bought it tried to buy mine the year prior and I wasn’t interested in selling at the time. In 2016 an FChat member reached out to me and I took a $500 deposit on a $75k unsolicited sale for my car and returned the money a week later because I couldn’t let it go. Things change, markets change, people change, tastes change and I understand that. The facts mentioned above illustrate and are reminders to me that these cars are special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Doogie

Doogie Rookie

Nov 19, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Douglas Menkhaus
  5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #1680 2cam, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Cadillacbart likes this.
  6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sold in 22015, 2016 and now a second time for 2018(?). For some reason it wouldn't sell when Bill listed it, then he practically gave it away (as I recall). I think it's flipped twice since then (or maybe listed periods apart).

The blue interior is the problem, in my opinion.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Didn’t somebody here just recently buy it?

8. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Personally I love the blue on blue. I think the main issue when Bill had her was that it was a year or so before the love for the Mondial, esp on BaT, had revealed itself. Also it’s a relatively high mileage car (in the insane world of Ferrari-land where a 30 yo car is considered high mileage with anything more than 20-25k miles on her, much less close to 60k miles). Lastly is the car’s history/Carfax report that shows a significant event (branded/salvage title?) prior to Bill’s ownership. Although I would agree that the blue on blue may not be for everyone, although personally I love it, given the small number of 3.2 coupes that made it to the US during it’s 3 year production run (86 or 87, I can’t remember which) this particular example maybe a 1 of 1 in the US. I really hope she finds a nice (enthusiast) home!!

Temple

9. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Yes; a well-known member here (and a Mondial collector)

10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  11. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #1686 2cam, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    This is an interesting one. According to the ad, it's a super rare 348 Mondial. ;)

It was recently advertised on the El Paso CL as well. The car itself had been in Austin and was a hot mess. I looked at the car here locally and if it had been $10K, I still would have passed. The seller at that point was asking in the high teens and the car was advertised multiple times on ebay, here, and other classified outlets. Interesting that it's now listed at $50K!

Check out this thread for more info: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1983-mondial-qv-sunroof-coupe-60k-18k-runs-hot.539293/

2cam

12. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I think what happened here (evident in the language used to write the ad), someone local saw "cheap Ferrari fs", and jumped at the chance.

This car, like you mentioned in the link, is likely a parts car.

2cam likes this.
  13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    That’s almost as rare as the Dino 308 gt4 mondial gtb coupe.

davemqv, 19633500GT and 2cam like this.
  14. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I love this car and I woke up one day and said "why not buy another Testarossa"? Stupid idea, this Mondial is my daily driver and it really is a fantastic car. I will have to find a way to get the TR without letting this one go. I will raise the Ebay price so that way I can just let the ad expire on its own. I wish I wasn't so impulsive, my #1 achille's heel.

gsfent and crinoid like this.
  15. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Good for you Stephane!! I was really sorry to see that you were thinking of letting her go. I guess I might as well mention it here first but I’m under contract on Bill’s black over red 3.2 coupe.

Temple

16. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

That's fantastic!! Bill's cars are such good examples I am so glad I did buy his blue coupe, you will not regret it my friend. I have seen pictures of that black coupe when it was for sale a few years back and it is a stunning example as well. I still can't believe I did that, but at least it will give me a pulse on the market, seeing all the offers coming in ;)

17. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Hi Guys, I'm close to putting my Rosso Corsa Red Supercharged 1982 Mondial-8 up for sale. I've had it for the last 16 years but my wife isn't able to climb in and out any more. I need to get something she can ride in, she's handicapped. I haven't posted it anywhere yet, fixing a few items first. It's been well maintained (I have all the receipts) was my daily driver for quite a while, garaged in the winter which is where it's headed now. It dyno'd at 300 hp. Here are a few photos of it. I'd take under $20,000 from one of you guys, auction prices are running around $21,000 to $34,000 the last few years.
    https://www.conceptcarz.com/valuation/9318/ferrari-mondial-8.aspx

Mondial Major Repairs:
    Engine-Out Service a few thousand miles ago, every item in the manual, including new Timing Belts,
    Replaced all Coolant Hoses, Oil Lines, Breather Lines, Fuel Lines, etc.
    New Deep Cycle Battery, Starter, Clutch, Alternator, A/C Compressor Clutch,
    Upgraded to the 3-Accessory Belt System of the 1990 Mondials,
    Ceramic coated Headers and Muffler
    Supercharger professionally installed by 928-Motorsports (dyno’d at 300 HP)
    Over 60 additional specific items repaired/replaced

Replaced both front Fenders, Repainted Body and Trim, Armour Coat Clear Bra
    New 17” Rims and Tires (245/45 Rear, 215/50 Front) to match the Ferrari 360 Modena
    Narrower front tires greatly improved the steering and handling
    The original wheels are available, if desired.
    CD Stereo and Speakers, Leather Floor Mats, Car Cover (in trunk)
    Recaro Leather Power-Adjustable Seats
    Tinted Side Windows
    Oil Cooler Fan added (On-button is in by the ash tray)
    This is great for when you get stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Manuals – Shop Manual, Owner’s Manual, Parts Catalog, and Electrical Diagrams
    Repair/Maintenance receipts for the last 16 years
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Not that it really matters, but it that 300 hp at the wheels, or estimated at the crank?

Regards,
    Jerry

19. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    300 HP estimated at the Crank. Basically, the HP went up 94 HP at the wheels with 6-7 psi of boost, as measured on the dyno.

paulchua and gsfent like this.
  20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Wow that sounds like a killer deal.

21. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    I think so.
    Looking online you'll find a nice one like mine selling for 29,900, and a horrible yellow one that doesn't run for 18,800.
    You can do the math.

22. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Are the original seats still available ? The Recarro seats are not realy an upgrade to my feelings.
    Guido

23. Javelin276

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Sorry, no. The original seats are gone. Sold them on Fchat a number of years ago.

24. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Looks like a no reserve sold at 20,100. suddenly reappears at 39,995 OBO. Who can you trust these days?

25. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Grigio mondial t coupe on bat right now belong to anyone here?