Montana registration crack-down | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Montana registration crack-down

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Terence Courtnage, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    >> Even still, after six months the LLC can transfer the car to the individual and no sales tax will be due.

Well, I doubt that will work. When you transfer the car to the individual from the LLC, it's an official sale and the clock starts again. They want their pound of flesh.

pilotoCS likes this.
  2. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ah, yes, you are correct. It would have to stay with the Montana LLC.

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I would think not since the particular state where the car was garaged for over 30 days would contend their state laws would come into play and the car must be registered in that particular garaging state. The garaging state is contending that once a particular set of circumstances have been met then their state laws are governing for their state and supersede the Montana vehicle registration laws.

4. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Yes, but in this scenario those 30 days never happen in any state.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Texas has said if the all the Montana LLC owns is a car sitting in the garage of a Texas resident, they will ignore the Montana LLC.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Does your insurance company ask where the vehicle is principally garaged?

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I read that some companies like Hagerty don't care about Montana registration, not sure if this is true.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well usually in those situations the burden of proof to the court would be for you to prove the car was not in the state for 30 days for any one period - Good luck with that. :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes but usually the insurance company tends to accept what the client or agent tell them unless you have a couple of losses in a state not declared as the garaging place. This has been my general experience as a broker for 39 years.

Nospinzone and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Great thread.
    LLC a business that owns motor vehicle.
    No income just losses, with a possible gain at sale.

Question: The LLC in Montana, does it have to file a Federal & Montana LLC income tax return?

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not correct in CA.

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I believe the way around the sale from the LLC to an individual is to origionally register the car to the LLC OR the individual. This has worked for me when I traded the car in. Since the car is registered to both and OR is in title there is no sale. That also means that if you have a personal insurance auto policy you must name the LLC as additional insured. If you have a commercial insurance policy you need to also name the individual as a additional insured. Also make sure if you have a personal umbrella/Escess liability policy, it will be excess over both the named insured as well as the additional insureds.

13. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I have a few LLCs in Wyoming that do actual, profitable business. Moving one that has no PA clients to Montana is not a problem.

14. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I already document my travels for the IRS with EZPass logs, receipts for overnight parking, hotel stays, etc. etc. That part is trivial since I'm already doing it. Besides, the 30 day thing doesn't even appear to apply to PA.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Different story. What Texas and other states are gunning for are Montana LLCs that only own one personal-use asset, e.g., RV, boat, bus, or a car.

16. bcorner

bcorner Karting

Aug 25, 2017
    Search wsbtv Wealthy Georgians with Exotic cars accused of cheating local tax payers.

Man I’m itching to say more... let’s just say I’m back in Florida and will never become a resident of Georgia. Makes me sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. bcorner

bcorner Karting

Aug 25, 2017
    Montana says that having an LLC registration in Montana satisfies the residency requirements for their state. So yah. It’s like $500 to setup an LLC and register the LLCs car.

Just wait for it. CA will change the law from 30 days to 10.

Also it’s a misnomer that only rich people can afford more than one residence.

18. bcorner

bcorner Karting

Aug 25, 2017
    Hmmm. GPS logs....

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That doesn't matter, if you actually live in another state, you meet the residency requirement of that state.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Picture of a Pagani popped up recently with montana tags, said the TAVT would be the cost of a new Huracan.

sjd

21. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yeah that might work assuming one has the disipline to keep them up and w/o any gaps. Not sure that most folks are that disiplined in their day to day activities.

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Channel 2 needs a talking to here in the ATL, the morning news ad is about them "exposing the bad guys" and helping GA collect millions in lost tax revenue. "We were there when mansions were raided..."

sjd

23. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #373 Llenroc, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/

Here's some fun. You can get an idea of how it works by clicking on a dealer vs private sale, and if you traded a car in or not. Find a VIN online for some car for sale otherwise it'll take the original MSRP on whatever you're looking for.

sjd

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How is that the wrong car for the plate? That's a Bentley Continental GT3R...I'm personally not a fan of them, but the plate makes sense. I love the actual GT3 race car though...just not the street-named version.