News

Montana registration crack-down

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Terence Courtnage, Oct 25, 2018.

1. RonH

RonH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Larry, I was stating the obvious conclusion that can be drawn from reading the posts here, having read articles on the subject matter (some of which are posted on this thread), having awareness of CA law on the subject and assuming that Jaydes is living in CA based on the content of his post. Obviously the laws vary from state to state, as has been discussed in this thread.

What bothers me is that people go through endless mind games to convince themselves and others of something that is totally false and then those weak minded individuals act on it to their and our detriment. Kind of like the events that occurred in Washington this week. Everybody knew the election was over and yet there are some that convinced others that was not the case and people died as a result.

By the way, I vote Republican and despise high taxes and how the government is being run in my home state, but that is not the point. You have to give a damn about the rule of law, otherwise we have anarchy as has been evidenced in all of the rioting from Seattle, to Portland, to LA and to Washington.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Kind of wonder about a guy who’s first post is this subject? Just saying......

RonH and Nospinzone like this.
  4. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I have been pulled over in four different states with my Montana plates not ONE question about why my drivers license state doesn't match the cars plates.

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #779 Nospinzone, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Typically it only matters in the state where you garage your car. For example, if you are a Massachusetts resident with Montana plates and you are stopped in New Hampshire, the NH police don't care because you are not cheating them out of tax revenue (they're just happy to collect on the speeding ticket, or whatever other violation they stopped you for). Not to mention there is nothing they could do about it since they don't have jurisdiction to enforce Massachusetts law.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. RonH

RonH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Paul, very good! You may not be a lawyer but you certainly understand the law.

Nospinzone and Texas Forever like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I have been pulled over a few times in my home state and not one word by state police (Hwy Patrol) LA County Sheriffs or BH PD or any other. If you follow the laws of the state your LLC is in you are not breaking any law it is that simple.

9. RonH

RonH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Sorry, not true. The California Highway Patrol has a website dedicated to turning people in for keeping and driving out of state cars in California and the evasion of registration and sales taxes. The California highway patrol states it’s a significant problem and they are concerned.

Texas Forever and ebobh15 like this.
  10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    fair enough ...

RonH likes this.
  11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    RonH likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And a portion of the funding for the CHP comes from registration fees. That fee also pays for driver ed for high schoolers, courts fees, fish and game funding, and the State's victim restitution fund. California is getting especially interested in high value and gray market cars, since the annual fee being avoided is usually over $1K a year-plus. If it becomes worth their while, they'll look at where you gas the car up, and where it spends the majority of the year.

Depending on the length and severity of your fraud (which is what it is) they can also elect to make an example of you for everyone else. The State isn't as draconian as Italy or Switzerland, but they'll get pretty specific in the ways they will come at you nowadays. With other revenue sources going down, and the sunk costs in roadway bonds & sources benefitting from the registration fees shouting about it, I'd hate to be the one they choose to hang at noon to get everyone else's attention.

RonH and Nospinzone like this.
  14. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Spot on Boss

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    One time we went to visit family in California for spring break, I towed my 308 down so my wife and I could cruise the coast a bit. Within 24 hours of parking in front of my parents house at least three neighbors had turned me in thinking I had Colorado plates illegally. Glad I moved from that state 30 years ago!

Xtreme5053, ross, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  16. 26street

26street Karting

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    You boys have it tough down there with all the other b/s going on that’s what they are worried about goes to show that they will only chase the money
    I keep my registrations at my home in ny but we have a completely different tax base on all vehicles then you guys in Georgia

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    This is why I pay my use tax. But I don’t register all my cars in CA. Maybe I’ll go in and start the process but just not complete it, pay the fees but not do the inspection.

Registration paid.
    Use tax paid.

But still registered in Montana

Hell I couldn’t register my Isetta 300 in CA. I spent 3 different trips trying to register it but it’s a single door car, they have no option for that and couldn’t figure it out. I just said forget it and registered it in Montana.

18. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have seen plenty of them in Silicon Valley.