Monterey Car Week, three cancelled events so far... | FerrariChat

Monterey Car Week, three cancelled events so far...

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by bitzman, Jul 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am making my travel plans and monitoring Monterey chamber of Commerce announcements. Here's what's postphoned so far. Please let FChatters know if you hear of another. Anybody know the reason why in each case? I suspect Automobilia didn't have enough booth renters to pay the ballroom rental. maybe the Seaside event had to buy expensive insurance...like to hear why organizers bail out, though I can't tell because of the pandemic , this year will see a lot of no shows or will visitors go through the roof.

• Exotics on Broadway
      Rescheduled to August 13, 2022
    • Automobilia Monterey Expo
      Rescheduled to August 15, 16, 17 2022
    • Carmel Mission Classic
      Rescheduled to August 10, 2022

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Another one, the Thursday Pebble cars, does not stop on the Avenue in Carmel.

Also, no events at Spanish Bay.

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Thank you for pointing out that the Tour cars do not park in Carmel; for a couple hours as they did in the past. I am just worried bout parking places in Pebble Beach to park in order to shoot pictures as they drive by. I will have to crack the whip to get my crew in place at 7 am, you betcha. From the Pebble Beach site they give this description but where can you park near there? Keep sending this late info' guys, save a whole lotta trouble on scne....

PEBBLE BEACH TOUR D’ELEGANCE
    THURSDAY, AUG 12, 2021

Start: 7:00 am

End: 12:00 pm

LEARN MORE
    • Add to Calendar:
    • + Google
    • + iCal
    • + Outlook
    PEBBLE BEACH TOUR D’ELEGANCE
    An exhibition of elegance in motion, the annual Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance features more than 150 Concours entrants seeking to prove they are roadworthy and gain an advantage in the Concours as they trace a scenic route on Highway One.

The Tour begins in Pebble Beach, traces 17-Mile Drive and Highway One to Big Sur and then returns to Pebble Beach to cross the Finish line. A car that successfully completes the Tour gets the nod if it later ties in class competition at the Concours.

This is a great opportunity to get a first glimpse of the beautiful cars that will grace the show field on Concours Sunday as the public is invited to view the Tour, without fee, at several points.

For all you early birds, there’s nothing like hearing and feeling the engines revving at the Start. Be sure to get there bright and early though: the cars begin to line up before 7:00 am and leave promptly at 9:00 am!

Thursday, Schedule*
    7:00 am Cars line up on Portola Road in Pebble Beach
    9:00 am Tour departs
    12:00 pm Tour returns to Pebble Beach

*Times are approximate and subject to change

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Regarding why the Seaside CA car show on Broadway has been postphoned to 2022, I found this 2019 article in the Monterey Herald that said some bad boys were rippin' around town in the vicinity of a car show (and even inCarmel) , "exhibition of speed "type things and it sounds like what ended Cars 'n Coffee in Irvine, each guy wanting to lay a bigger patch or turn a better broadie (To spin a brodie or pull a brodie is to spin a doughnut in a car. ) than the guy before. I would have thought this was teenage stuff, not indulged in by upmarket more genteel Ferrari and Lambo owners.

https://www.montereyherald.com/2019/08/19/exhibition-of-speed-incidents-increase-during-classic-car-week/

5. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
  6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Auto Retro, in the Inn at Spanish Bay is sort of memorabilia event. But instead of old stuff most of what is for sale is new. So the news that all events are off at Spanish Bay doesn't square with their website as of today. I enjoy Auto Retro but miss Automobilia with lots of old stuff.
    Auto Retro is free, an not much is free that week. Here's the word from the Pebble official website:

PEBBLE BEACH RETROAUTO
    Thursday, August 12 – Saturday, August 14
    9:00 am – 6:00 pm

Concours Sunday, August 15
    8:00 am – 6:00 pm

An automobilia enthusiast's dream, Pebble Beach RetroAuto hosts a highly curated selection of rare collectibles and memorabilia from the automotive past, to the latest luxury goods and technological tools of the present.

Located in the Concours Village at Pebble Beach, RetroAuto features an elegant and thoughtfully curated collection of exhibitors. Visit and find rare collectibles, historic automobilia, art, and literature, as well as luxury items, technological tools, and official Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance merchandise.

This special retail spot is a must-see and is open to the public at no cost from Thursday through Concours Sunday.

7. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of the seminars previously held at Spanish Bay in past with Jay Leno, Donald, Goodfriend, etc, with special car displays outside. When I called the Pebble office about two weeks ago, they said those seminars are moving near the top of the Concours hill. No other info and I'm not trying to speculate. I just don't know. Some logistic decisions still seem fluid.

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    They are going to be in Concours Village, But the website doesn't say where that is.Hope they print an address before the event. The website doesn't say who the speakers are which makes it tough to pre-register. But since some are free I'd drop by and see if anyone you like is coming up . Here's their website copy

PEBBLE BEACH CLASSIC CAR FORUM
    THURSDAY, AUG 12, 2021 - SATURDAY, AUG 14, 2021
    LEARN MORE
    • Add to Calendar:
    • + Google
    • + iCal
    • + Outlook
    PEBBLE BEACH CLASSIC CAR FORUM

Forum schedules will be released around mid-July and are subject to change. Please continue to check our website for updates.

Each year at the Pebble Beach Classic Car Forum presented by AIG and Alliant, we bring together key automotive figures to discuss some of the most interesting topics facing the collector car world today.

Forums are held from Thursday through Saturday of Pebble Beach Automotive Week in the Concours Village at Pebble Beach. They are open to the public but pre-registration is required. Cost varies although many sessions are free.

Concours Village Schedule:

Thursday, August 12 – Saturday, August 14
    9:00 am – 6:00 pm

Concours Sunday, August 15
    8:00 am – 6:00 pm

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Concours Village will be in large open space across from the Gooding auction site...

Concours Village, conveniently located across from the Pebble Beach Auctions at Forest Lake Road and Stevenson Drive

https://pebblebeachconcours.net/event/concours-village/

Will be interesting because that area has been used for auction attendee parking in past years (restricted access on Concours Sunday). For those that know the area, this is where the old Pebble Beach (golf) driving range used to be.

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
  11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I found a map of Pebble Beach and it shows Portola Road, Will there be any place for spectators to park on Thursday to watch the start of the Tour? Which direction do they go in when they leave Pebble? And do they come back to Pebble after the tour? If so , anybody want to guess what time?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Cars start to line up at 7am and I've heard you need to get there a couple hours earlier to see anything. I live less than 2 miles from the start, but that's just too early for me so I've never been. And yes, of course, the end of the Tour brings all the cars back to Pebble Beach. Supposedly there will be signs directing to parking, but I'm not sure where that parking is located...probably only people that have attended the Tour start would know.

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Those from Europe and the East coast are there bright and early. It's best to arrive by 6 for photographs before it gets too crowded. The cars are waved-off in groups. Parking is in the lot on the other side of Stevenson Drive. It is an essential part of the PB experience IMO.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    "Arrive at 6" Wow-- dedication to match the Dawn Patrol (the name for concours fans who go to Pebble early enough to see the cars arrive. Not as convenient as when it was in the village of Carmel and there were bathrooms and restaurants a few feet away(I am elderly--need that !) Do the tour participants stop and have lunch for a couple hours as they did in Carmel? Maybe I should go out to that location to take pictures--do they say where it is? Lunchtime wouldn't be so early at least....

15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I don't know for sure, but highly unlikely there's a lunch stop this year. Since cars would normally go straight back to Pebble after the Carmel lunch stop, which was more for spectators benefit (and maybe to generate a few more Concours tickets!), I'm betting they'll simply bypass Carmel on their tour return and go straight to Pebble.

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I called them today. You are right, no lunch stop. So I will have to be there at 6 am to catch all the cars in one place. I wish there was a nearby restaurant where I can park my wife (she's not up to walking) And they couldn't name where the tour cars will be parking--some might drive back to their hotel.