Montoya attitude | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Montoya attitude

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by shelbee, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    JPM would be the F1 defending champ if he had a car as good as the Ferrari.

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    Thanks Joe, I inferred the same thing.

3. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I agree, he is a whiner. If that makes him interesting to some folks, ok, I guess. When he ran others off the course last year, it was somehow always a "racing incident", never HIS fault..
    Of course he has some talent, but so do a lot of others who respect their fellow drivers more. JPMs ego is about at the top of the chart, IMHO

4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Quite frankly that's what I like about him (JPM). He's not afraid to mix it up a bit. I find that amusing and more entertaining than the bullshirt most other drivers offer during the interviews.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes but in this comment he has admitted that he is scared of them ... fool! Next time Ferrari will definitely be able to play games as they know they have intimated JPM.

Like most sports, you have to beat the opposition off the field first ... Ferrari have already done that, JPM is NOT a threat.

Pete
    ps: He thinks he is so smart with these comments ... but doesn't actually know what he is saying ... oh dear!

6. shelbee

shelbee Guest

JPM in a Ferrari F1, not in a million years, only in his WET DREAM!!

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You want to see a race worth watching??? put MS & JPM both in BMW's or both guys in Ferrari's... that would be a race.

JPM is the best or second best driver in F1 right now, otherwise he wouldn't get so many people talking about him at F-chat.

BMW is a new car and he was 3 or 4 seconds behind Ferrari all day, in only his second race. Hate to see what happens if BMW works a bit more out of their new car..... gee we might even see a pass for the lead in a F1 race... wouldn't that be something new?

For you guys that don't like JPM, would you rather see MS win by 55 seconds over a Honda, insted of 8 seconds over a BMW? Would that make the TV show more fun? Ferrari fans hate him because he makes you sweat. That's a good thing.

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

Excuses, never his fault. Sounds like Mario Andretti. Andretti never had an accident that was his fault regardless of what the video showed.

Their both great drivers though.

Art

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That's a good idea: have everybody qualify as now, and leave the cars on the grid as now;

BUT: draw straws as to which car each driver drives in the race!

10. ART360

ART360 Guest

It's the money. Whoever has the most money invested will win. In motorcycle racing, at least in some of the lower classes there is a claiming rule. Example: Forks for 5k. That kept the factories from running their works forks that cost 50k, Engine for 10k, kept them from using special all hand built engines like the one that Honda won the 200 with in 1970, where they built an entire engine from Magnesium, rather than alum, got away with it too.

Keep the cost down (in F1 that's got to be an oxymorn, but its an idea).

Art

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Umm..NO!

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No, JPM has got the biggest mouth in F1, hence we talk about him. He may be in the top five but he is definitely not the 2nd best driver. IMO that would be Alonso or even Weber.

Mark, you are talking out your backside. Every car is new on the grid. F1 does not dust of last years car and keep racing or year long. Infact the cars change considerably throughout the season so effectively every second race they have a 'new' car. A few years ago Ferrari started with their last seasons car for reliability reasons, but even so these cars were much developed. This year they started with their brand new car, because the F2003GA was a lemon.

What is the difference. 5 seconds is a fncken mile in F1 ... basically NObody else is in the same ball park as MS and his Ferrari this year. We could see a 100% win rate for MS this year ...

Pete

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Would not make a difference, Juan Taco is all flash and taking stupid risks.

Umm...ah..NO. This is almost so inane it doesn't bear addressing, but, I'm a prick so I will. The BEST is known to all that KNOW F1. As for #2, I believe the NEXT MS, the man that WILL carry his crown for the next generation is without a doubt Ferando Alonso, certainly NOT Juan Taco or Raikonnen. Neither have the correct balance IMHO of speed, finesse, natural talent AND proper temperment.

Again, inane, but here goes. You either do not watch F1 or do not have a clue about it. You mention a 3 or 4 second gap as if that is nothing, the average gap on the grid for qualifying is measured in the hundredths of seconds.
    I don't buy this argument. I hear people say this all the time...F1 is boring, there's no passing, blah, blah. The bottom line is there WOULD be passing IF the other teams had comparable equipment but now they do not. Bottom line: McLaren, Williams, Renault, et al. BUILD A BETTER CAR! BTW, what's Sauber's excuse? They are using the current 2004 Ferrari spec engine and gearbox as well as what many have claimed to be a blatant re-paint of the F2003GA, whereas in previous years they have been using customer spec year-old engines. Think the driver has something to do with it?

Umm.. NO, he doesn't make MS sweat and that's all that's important. I'm sure when he's laying in bed at night looking up at the seve.. I mean six WC trophies on the shelf Juan Taco is the FURTHEST thing from his mind. It's Montoya that clearly demonstrated HIS fear of Ferrari in the post race press conference.

14. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    I think Mark(Study) was referring to the gap in the race, not the gap in qualifying...

Copying a design does not mean you necessarily understand it, especially when it comes to aerodynamics. There's so much more to being quick than looking like last years winner.

Best
    Mark

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I thought Ferrari made fewer changes to this seasons car? Where as BMW went with a lot of totally new ideas.

If JPM is not the second best driver ( he was on Sunday) .. he is the best TV star, and makes the F1 show more fun to watch.

Some hardcore sports guys remind me of the "pure boxing fan" and how they don't want any show-boating in the sport. Unless F1 is your business? ... as a fan its all about who can put on the most entertaining show. :)

16. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Jaun reminds me of John MacEnroe in tennis. Everone hated him while he was playing, said he was too arrogant but the kid did have talent and it made watching tennis alot more fun. Without a Jaun type personality in F1 it too would be boring. In fact unless Bernie can spice it up some more we might see a repeat where Ferrari wins the WC at SPA. There is no question that MS is the best, but knowing what Juan can do (remember Brazil a few years back) makes this sport a bit more fun.

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    While the F2004 looks like the F2003-GA in all reality it is a totaly new car. The aero package has been changed the dimensions are much smaller than last years. Ferrari took a look at what worked and did not work on the 2003 car and improved it everywhere. This may sound premature but i think that this car is on the same level with the F2002.

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Thanks Rob :)

19. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I agree 100% with this statement. I currently think that the JPM/Williams driver/car combo is the only one currently capable of slugging it out with MS (aside from the other Ferrari driver) on the average track. In order to compete with this latest Ferrari one needs to put down BLAZING fast laps consistently. JPM proved in that last race that he can do that.....can anyone else?

20. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    According to the Luca interview in this month's Forza, everything in the F2004 is reworked and redone over the F2003-GA. A major rework, but then what else would he say.

Me - I like JPM's Passion - makes the sport much more interesting. Who knows how or when he'll try and pass. It does get him in trouble though - and until he can calm that down a bit he won't be WC. I suspect at Sepang that he couldn't get around the Ferrari so didn't try awfully hard.

Never count Williams out, old Frank there is awfully willy in his ways, I sure wouldn't want to work for him!

Still early with lots of races to go. And let's hope we see more than one pass for the lead this year.

21. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi guys!
    This is my first post and is something near and dear. I ripped wacko-Frankl in Forza last year because he was all but asking for a date with JPM in the USGP write-up. He responded with a lot of the same Montoya drival I am seeing here, ie."he adds so much to F1", "he is a great interview" (Frankl moaned about having to endure a Hakkinen intreview), "he will be the next heir..." blah, blah, blah. As many have mentioned here, actions talk and BS walks. JPM has never, and will never, have what it takes to be a F1 champ. Unlike MS and others we consider world class drivers, JPM has never been able to deliver with less than a perfect car. Anyone remember 2000, the year after Montoya won the CART championship? Nothing! He was mired in mid-field, blaming the car, the crew, the owner, the other drivers, "I won Indy because of me", etc., etc. Sound familiar? So what happened during his 1999 championship year? To quote the imortal Niki Lauda: "A trained monkey could have won the championship in a car like that!" The US fans (except for the women and a few guys who still lusted after him) lost interst in the class-less champion from last year and moved on. The very reason he takes shots at the US motorsport fans every chance he gets. For the folks who think he is a talented driver - go back and do your homework. Closing your eyes and poking your nose inside someone when you do not have position is not talent. When someone like JV calls him dangerous, you know the guy is pulling some silly "stuff" out on the track. I'm sorry, but the guy is a bum. I can't wait for Kimi to stuff him next year. But then we will again have to endure all the crying and knashing of teeth, no team support, bad car, bad crew, bad owner......hmmm have we been here before? There are so many superior drivers in F1 (aside from the pay-per's), I just do not understand the attraction. If you want personality, I'll take JV or (one of the best!) Jean Alesi. Give me drive, passion, talent (gasp!). THAT is what makes F1 exciting! Not some wanna-be running his mouth. You want that kind of crap, watch wrestling. Oh, and as for not wanting to pass RB? Well, JPM, paybacks are a female dog (please see 2003 USGP). Oh I'm sorry, I got it all wrong! That one was not your fault either!

Jim

22. shelbee

shelbee Guest

i really look forward to see his face (JPM) pissed off again by losing Bahrain GP this weekend.

Forza FERRARI. Wish Michael and Rubens all the luck they can possibly get. Hope the cars won't overheat

23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Jim, BRAVO, BRAVO and well stated!! Welcome to the board!

24. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    How does JPM not have talent? He seems to have plenty of talent...3rd place in the WC isn't exactly bad.