Montoya...the best driver to come to F1 in years! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Montoya...the best driver to come to F1 in years!

Discussion in 'F1' started by parkerfe, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    All this yapping about RB not challenging MS is a load. I think folks are forgetting that MS can seem to get extra speed out of a car on demand. He has always been that way and is what makes him the oddity superior driver that he is. If RB had a car to challenge him (or ability - you choose), I think you would see more attempts. LIKE the attempt at Indy. RB came out of the pits after his last stop and found the tires were working exceptional. He dogged MS through the first two turns at such speed it forced MS out. RB made a very good move inside but MS was able to get back on line and shut the door. That move alone almost took them both off! MS then pulled off a blistering lap and put some distance between the two. Judging by how RB was drifting through the first turn, I'd say he was pushing 'till the end - but he just could not get enough out of the car to make another challenge. So do not bore me with conspiracy theories about the downtrodden RB. RB is talking about his increased use of left foot braking - which would explain how he was able to stay close to MS in the infield. I would expect to see him a lot closer to MS in the future if he continues adapting over.

Bottom line, you have to catch him to pass him. This weekend should be interesting!

It's also interesting that when a driver like RB admits that he made a mistake, or got a setup wrong, or admits he is trying something new, or is trying to straighten out his perspective, etc., etc. - all to become a better driver, he is ridiculed as being weak and a Ferrari lacky. But when someone like "I'm perfect" Whiney P. Montoya and "I'm always smiling and I'm perfect" Sato do something so stupid that my 8yr old notices, we have Asianbond and crew coming to their rescue. i.e. "We need more of that!" or "He has balls!" THere have been many agressive drivers down through history that never touched a wheel with another driver. I do not understand your fascination with bits of carbon fiber being splayed all over the track.

Asianbond, your fantasy world of "no rules - everything goes" is what got a lot of people killed in this sport - and not too long ago. The very rules that you and Montoya curse and whine about every week came about because someone was hurt or killed. Many of the "racing" attributes you hold so near and dear are still prevalent in NASCAR. Why not watch that to get your jollies? What? Not enough debris left on the track at the end to suit your taste?

Jim
    Sorta like the Symphony
    Too smart for NASCAR
    F1 Fan!

2. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Rookie

May 31, 2004
    When you are on the front of the pack on 8 races out of 9, and more than 3/4s of each race, WHO would you want to pass?

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    He is a great driver ( probably having a difficult time for the past 2 years ) but he sucks as a person. He can never accept his faults..

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He has courage. In his driving and his speaking. No corporate white wash here.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    No, it takes courage to admit you goofed rather than whining that everybody else is to blame. That video of him running into the camera man and then blaming the camera man is a classic! Good thing for him that his girlfriend is more intelligent and level-headed (and physically stronger) than he is.

I did enjoy his spin in France... just cruising along by himself. I never heard what caused that... I'm sure it wasn't his fault (he has none).

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He is a schmuck, no doubt about it and definitely not the best driver to come in years. The camera incident is hilarious and showed us much. And the France spin was clearly his fault.

However I do thoroughly enjoy his open speak, reminds me of Eddie Irvine or James Hunt. I'm not saying that is good for team building, but to me as a spectator and fan this is a lot more refreshing than what we hear from the rest of the field.

7. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    This is professional motorsport and the pinnacle at that too. We do not need drivers like Montoya that treat F1 like the World Wrestling Federation or WWE!!!

Eddie and James were much more cultured and much more professional than this maniac. He is a danger to other drivers and everyone on that track. The video of him assaulting the camera man is just te tip of the iceberg.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, he wasn't really attacking the camera man, just verbally freaking out.

You're right about the professionalism in F1. Unfortunately you're right. It is all about professionalism, corporation, public relations and spin doctors. That's why nobody speaks his or her mind anymore.

As I said, as a fan and spectator I find this refreshing. If I were Williams or one of its sponsors I'd be incensed.

Funny that you mention Irvine as a gentleman. In today's UK newspaper there is an article about the blatant sexism in F1 and how unprofessional that is and sure enough Eddie is quoted and shown as a unprofessional chauvinistic pig. Maybe your example wasn't well picked?
    :)

9. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    No no no no you got me wrong there!
    Irvine is not a gentleman. But that Maniac Montoya makes him look like one! Montoya is a shame and a disgrace to F1.

10. THawkbh

THawkbh Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I don't know why anyone would talk badly about an F1 driver. Even the guys who never win are some of the best drivers in the world.

11. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony

Well said. F1 drivers are some of the best drivers out there. You dont land a seat in a F1 car cause you do ok.

JPM is one of my fav drivers. The competion is almost boring with MS.

Antony

12. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    The point is that i don't understand that some people on this Ferrari-chat, always the same by the way, continues to make threads about this guy named Montoya.....

they know that we all prefer Michael, we all know Michael is better and anyway they continue to talk about 'their' favorit..... good luck guys, but go to a Montoya related site, thanks.

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

13. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Montoya is a great driver, but there is something that seperates the great athletes from the champions. It's kind of like Charles Barkley. He was a great basketball player that was never going to be champion because he lacked the steadiness and class to do so. Think about the champions of recent years, Jordan, Bird, Dr J, Hakeem, Majic Johnson. Now compare them to Barkley. Barkley always badmouthed his team mates, thru fits and did some other things that were not very champion like. Now compare Montoya to Schumacher or Senna. He' whines alot and does not admit his mistakes. I coached elite level Gymnasts for many years and I can spot winners and just great players. True winners exude class and always take responsibility for their actions. I just don't think Montoya falls into that category.

14. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Well said Vince! You are correct that there are a few trolls who frequent this site who waste oodles of bandwidth and server space with their silly comments. One cannot say JPM had a bad hair day without being flamed by the same people over and over for twenty posts. I can't understand why they don't stick to JPM's site and be happy. Like you, I am getting tired of the stupid arguments!

Peace!
    Jim

15. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Where does that put JV?

16. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    A spin in France, obviously his JPM's fault. So, did Senna never spin? :)