morbid curiosity about the 2006 F430 Spider for $80k at Braman Motorcars of Palm Beach | Page 2 | FerrariChat

morbid curiosity about the 2006 F430 Spider for $80k at Braman Motorcars of Palm Beach

Discussion in '360/430' started by artsd, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Just a playful analogy. Not to be taken too seriously.

2. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    I did not defend on a general principal that a used car can only go down in price. What I questioned was why a couple of cars I have seen changed prices in a way that I did not understand. I don't sell cars so I just don't understand the logic behind it and was curious. If a seller and buyer can come together and both believe they got a good value in a transaction, then that is the best case scenario.

The market for used cars (or at least less common cars like Ferrari) is not like the stock market. The value doesn't fluctuate every day. There is no ticker symbol for me to watch what the market values a 2005 Ferrari F430 with 55K miles and 3 accidents at. The idea that the price fluctuates with the market is a bit misleading. The "market" did not move down 11% and back up 8% in 5 days.

My guess is that selling high end used cars is as much an art as it is science. When something is too cheap, that itself can be a red flag and may limit certain type of buyers (probably the smart buyers in most cases :)).

3. ThunderHill

ThunderHill Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Full Name:
    Toby Smith
    #28 ThunderHill, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    I looked at a $75,000 "resale red-and-tan" F430 Spyder F1 a little while ago, not terribly unlike this one. Unlike this car it had a clean carfax, but also had 50,000+ miles, and on top of that it had absolutely no documentation or history of any kind (no manuals, no service, history, no stories from previous owner communicated to dealer, nada), and it had been picked bare somewhere along the way-no books, no tool kit, covers, only one key).

Drove pretty strong and a walk around of several hours didn't reveal much beyond general high-mileage rattiness (curbed nose, worn bolster, rams in vert top extremely sluggish, etc. etc.) If I was going to buy one of these to drive the way I've driven my Vipers and Corvettes, I'd honestly think really hard about buying one like this; not much difference between a 50,000 mi no-history F430 and a 80,000 mi no-history f430 in terms of resale value.

The thing that scared me off is that I didn't want to get into the brand by jumping into a bad example and then have it taint everything going forward. Also, I can do basically anything that doesn't need a Leonardo myself, so its a lot harder for me to make a big mistake in buying a car than it is for most people from a "hidden land mines" standpoint.

People saying "it can't become a $50,000 car" are right, with one small caveat: It can't become a $50,000 car as long as it runs. I'd still get a PPI.

artsd likes this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have said this before and still believe it. A good deal is merely a state of mind. What I think is a good deal on a car (or anything for that matter) might not be what someone else thinks is. Does that mean it is not a good deal? Not to me. I have bought a lot of cars, I have never asked anyone if I got a good deal, after all how would they know what a good deal is to me.

Skidkid and artsd like this.
  5. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    That’s a good point. What I paid for a blue car I’d never in a million years have paid for a red one because I wanted a blue one. But that doesn’t make the blue one in any way a “better deal” except to me.