more ammo......... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

more ammo.........

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kongman, Jul 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #26 creafield, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greetings ZoRob

Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. Can be seen from the Windmill site, it honours the 72,367 from Britain and South Africa who have no known Grave. It is very large, and the wind whistles and moans around the arches and legs.

The visitor centre next to it is very good. The visitor center at Tyne Cot, near Paschendale, is very austere. Inside it has a non stop-recording going of the names and units of all the soldiers killed, it also shows a picture of the soldier. This can be heard outside faintly and also is quite eerie. Apparently it takes 69 days to read all the names if it was played 24/7
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    #27 zoRob, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thats it! I will certainly be going there when i return, i also went to Tyne Cot but i think a new visitors centre was constructed since i went.

I have been looking at a great website since reading this thread www.ww1battlefields.co.uk . On it i found the barkless tree i was talking about known as the 'danger tree' which i had mixed up with the tree at Delville Wood. The 'danger tree' was actually located at Newfoundland Memorial Park which is a good place to visit if you have not been.

3. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    Thanks for that link to the War Graves Commission. I think I just found one of the relo's that fills in a blank. Only AIF member buried in County Cork.

4. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Unusual. Was he killed in a training exercise or such?

5. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    We're not sure.

The 23rd Bn AIF was meant to be in Bullecourt, north France through May/June/July 1917. Somehow, Jack ended up dying and being vuried in COunty Cork (which is our origin anyway).

His mum told a story to my grandmother once how they made her Jack fight the "boys back home" which we assume to be dealing with the Irish uprising of the time.

But then there's no record of AIF units fighting in Ireland in 1917. There are records of this happening in 1916 although the army used to deny this until recently. Someone wrote an interesting book on the subject as it had a lot of political ramifications back here at the time.

6. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    That is interesting. First I've heard of that.
    Do you have any clues that'd help track down the book you mention?

7. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    http://www.nla.gov.au/openpublish/index.php/ras/article/download/764/890
    Should take you to a review of the book.

The British Govt was generous in handing out leave passes to Ireland around this time. Many units who thought they would be taking a rest found themselves with a gun in their hand quelling domestic uprising. This went on past the end of the war up until the Irish Republic was created.
    http://www.anzacday.biz/anzac_day/gallipoli_2008/news.asp?index=648

And people don't believe today that this sort of thing ever happened or could happen again.

8. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Certainly could happen again. The notion 'it could never happen here' amongst australians has always seemed a little too complascent.
    There was a lot of blind allegiance back then.
    Of two great uncles who served in the AIF, the one who came home, twice wounded, after serving as a medic in the Somme, amongst other things, was treated pretty shabbily (from my perspective) by the family motivated primarily it appears by a fear the local community might think him a conscientious objector.

Thanks for the links.