More GTO chat | Page 40 | FerrariChat

More GTO chat

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Sep 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Id guess somebody on FChat knows the ownership of that GTO in 1974. That might provide some insight.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #977 miurasv, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    250 GTO 3987 GT was owned by Fchat member Dr Stuart Baumgard in 1974. See his post #43 in thread about the car's appearance in the Rockford Files in link here.

peterp likes this.
  3. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    James Garner knew the significance of the GTO long before that episode aired. Trust me on that.

mcimino likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #979 miurasv, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    Also interesting what Dr Baumgard said about 250 GTO 3987 in post #52 in the thread about 3987 GT's appearance in The Rockford Files in link here.

mcimino likes this.
  5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Are all GTO worth the same now if they have comparable history?

Which GTO would be worth the most if on the market today?

6. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

What would make one worth, say, $5M - $10M more over another? Number of races entered, wins, ownership history?

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    All things being equal, originality is king, both on the original parts and to the original spec and lack of any major damage that might have seen a car rebodied/ re-engined. Secondly it comes down to competition success/ history with arguably the best results for the type the two seconds at Le Mans although one of the Tour de France or Tourist Trophy winners would also be worth more. Finally it is about the story including interesting colours and/or a top flight restoration. I note that in later years #3729GT has been returned to white, #3451GT to white over maroon and now #3851GT to silver, all in top restorations. The two top prices in recent years were #4153GT and #3647GT which both were in remarkably original condition with no major issues of patina or provenance, both also having fascinating racing history and offered in beautiful condition. #3729GT is currently being sucked up into the Kidston vortex and it will be fascinating to see if any $$$$ are talked about if it does sell.

stevenwk likes this.
  8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    What were the prices for both cars?

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The ones with low mileage, never driven in the rain, never raced/tracked and owned by an old lady will always command a premium ;)

CottonCandy and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    readplays likes this.
  11. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Which is why I love TR 0704 (Arthur True) because it's the most original of all TR's even though it is the most beat up of all the TR's.

readplays and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  12. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Figures of $65 - 75 mm were bandied about for #4153GT and I believe $70 was the accepted amount (in 2018). No idea what #3647GT sold for but IIRC a quote was that the new owner was willing to outbid the last GTO sale so it has to be around $70 - 80mm, if not a little closer to the magic $100mm. At this point a 10% jump is enough to buy a SWB or California or whatever but likely to be immaterial to the next sale which will be higher still. FWIW the Mercedes-Benz Uhlenhaut Coupe made everything seem small change and we probably see a decent uptick in GTO prices!

peterp likes this.
  13. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Absolutely agree, lots of nice 250TRs (I personally love #0724TR in yellow over red) but #0704TR is one of a kind. Either Kogan or Hereema planned to restore #0704TR and it was only by chance the car was sold before all that patina was lost. The ex King Mohammed Zahir Shah of Afghanistan M-B 540K was sold by RM in '22 with 85 years of low mileage originality and the buyer has sent it for a full Pebble Beach restoration at RM Restorations and all of its patina is gone! Far for me to criticise but its a damn shame......

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #989 miurasv, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    It was Abba Kogan, but Gregor Fisken, alarmed at what was about to take place during a visit to Terry Hoyle's, saved it by selling it to the Morin brothers who did rebuild it, but preserving as much originality as possible, by commissioning a sympathetic rebuild by Twyman Racing.

Timmmmmmmmmmy and readplays like this.
  15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Bear in mind, one GTO and a couple of Californias will get you a pretty nice NFT :)

https://www.prestigeonline.com/hk/pursuits/art-culture/most-expensive-nft-artworks-ever-sold/

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  16. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have 'stereo' photos of 0704 taken back around 1978 my Dad shot when I was in high school at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn. 0704 was parked next to a 300SLR before the museum sold them off. I'll see if I can locate the slides.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  17. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    300 SLR 0001/55.

375+, Timmmmmmmmmmy and stevenwk like this.
  18. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    #993 Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    If anyone is interested in high end motorcars, their trade and tax avoidance I have a brief little story for you. Bruce McCaw bought the Le Mans '52 winning Mercedes W194 and a second W194 at Brooks Quail Lodge in 1999 and had them restored by M-B classic in Germany. This process saw him meet the then M-B CEO and they began to discuss the idea of selling McCaw one of the three 300SLR/W196S then owned by M-B. The back and forth saw McCaw and M-B agree to a deal where McCaw would buy the Blackhawk collections G4 and a S-Type and these cars plus $12 mm in cash would be given in exchange and it was eventually signed by both parties. McCaw had to sell the irreplaceable M-B 540K Autobahnkurrier which was then entering restoration to finance the trade. The CEO left M-B before the deal could be concluded and M-B cancelled the contract which lead to immense court action only ended when M-B agreed to a semi permanent loan of a SLR, possibly #0002/55. Its well worth reading the court documents for the case!

https://www.findforms.com/single_form.php/form/565844/Complaint_District_Court_of_California_District_Court_of_California_California

19. Wi11am

Wi11am Karting

Oct 6, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    William Morton
  20. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, I remember. Thanks for posting.

The 'stereo' photos Dad took display the cars in a different orientation. I'll see if I can locate them. It was Dad's hobby and there are hundreds of photos. I just have to figure out how to convert them. All from the 1970s. Also, as I remember, the Bugatti Royale coupe was a close neighbor of 0704 and the SLR. Thankfully, the museum hasn't liquidated that magnificent car........yet.

Wi11am, readplays and 375+ like this.
  21. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Bugatti Type 41 Royale Weinberger Cabriolet #41121

375+ likes this.
  22. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    If I recall correctly NY auto dealer Peter Dragone had managed to acquire the irreplaceable Locomobile Old No. 16 that George Robertson used to win the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup, making it the first American car to win an international race. The car came out of the Peter Helck collection where it had been since the '40s. I know the Smithsonian did another swap for two Miller racecars out of Europe in exchange for a Mercedes to Bob Rubin. At some point should a collector have a similarly important Ford or American car the Henry Ford would swap the Bugatti. GT40 #1046 or #1075 would be my picks but maybe a lesser car could also get it done?

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Saved from a NY scrapyard if I remember correctly?

24. jhgomezphoto

jhgomezphoto Karting

Apr 7, 2022
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Jorge Hernandez
    Quite apart from this, do anyone know the current status/ location of 5111GT? I read opposite opinions about it since few years ago...

Jorge HG

readplays likes this.
  25. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Not "Peter" it was Manny and or George Dragone (brothers).