More GTO look, EFI, AMG supercharger, Supertrapps and Magnaflows. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

More GTO look, EFI, AMG supercharger, Supertrapps and Magnaflows.

Discussion in '308/328' started by bert308, Aug 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #26 bert308, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The megasquirt with Innovate LC1 wide band controller arrived (after being at the Dutch customs for 3 weeks) and also the longer drive shafts. This is a nice story, I called around local places what to do about the drive axles, they can only lengthen large diameter hollow axles (like for a small truck that gets a longer wheelbase). Then I remembered from this forum the 308 has the same CV joints as some VW bus and I found that also the Porsche 911 turbo (930) has these. So I thought maybe some VW or P has the right size axle for me. And guess what, the off road VW baja-beach-buggy-boys used these 930 CV on their aircooled VW based vehicles and as a result these axles are available in any size up to enough to create a 3 meter wide thing. Unfortunately the 2 sizes closest to the ones I need were either on the lower limit or upper limit, I ordered the longer ones but they can easily be shortened by 15 mm and then cut the grooves for the retainers, 2 per side. That i did today but took no pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    Thanks for sharing this,its full of great ideas and craftmanship.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The body is beautiful! ...again! Man you're good at that.

You're rockin and rollin on that supercharger! I can't wait to see the finished job....be sure an post a pic of your smile the first time you stomp on the gas pedal :)

4. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I remember reading your GTO conversion from the previous thread and thought that was a lot of work. But you completed it and it looked great! But now, you have surpassed yourself. This is an incredible undertaking. Excellent work!

5. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

Nice find and thinking on the axles . . . one thing I've noticed when helping my buddies that have buggies is the axles slide inside the CV joint because of the extreme travel (I modify the CV's so they can get even more travel) . . as you mentioned you just machined the retainer grooves on both sides at the correct locations . . nice job!!!

I need an axle for my 348 and I think the CV joints are the same on it . .. thanks again for the buggy axle idea . . that stuff is everywhere here in Cali.

Cheers,

Sean

6. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I take it you have the skill to do your own oil changes.....

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Bert, this is great work, your care and passion for this project is inspiring.

thank you for sharing your work with us.

wow!

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I'll be to busy watching the A/F gauge and listening for unwanted noises...
    Hey, I was wiggling my engine while still in the car and thought seriously about a 5th motormount in the right rear, for extra AMG support...until I found your thread about the Ford urethane motor mounts, that was a great find and just what I need.
    I will have to find a solution for the torque bar, problably only the rubber on the valvecover-side remains, so that will be 50% stiffer too.
    Thanks for all the comments. I will have a lot of questions and problems in the future so I hope the experts will regularly check on this thread.
    The previous posts were about the past 1 year, from now on updates will be 1-2 per week.

9. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Just posting my thoughts on the AMG unit. It has a nice electrical operated drive clutch. Mercedes uses thes units without a bypass valve. The clutch is engaged by the engine management depending on engine load (MAP) and RPM. If the clutch is engaged and engine load is low for 10 seconds or so the clutch disengages. Interesting I read somewhere the clutch won't engage at RPM above 3000 because the load on the belt would be too high. I wondered how that would be in practice, cruising on the Autobah in your ubercar you wan't power but you first have to bring the revs down to below 3000?
    Anyway, there is no bypass and the author of a test for these cars speculated the engine draws it's air through the screws of the AMG, with some drag. But I think, the clutch while disengaged has still some drag. If I spin the pulley by hand, the screws will spin a little too. I think while driving (cruising), the drag in the clutch and the vacuum on engine side will be enough to freewheel the screws to provide just the right amount of air, without putting load on the drive belt (fuel economy). Then when you demand power the clutch will be engaged. I would want to use this setup too then, without bypass valve. I have removed the airco from my car long ago but I will want to use the airco fan switch for the AMG: always off, automatic, or always on. The automatic will be depending on MAP, have to see if the MSII can do that without having to write extra code (that I could do but that means more studying for me).
    Any thoughts?

10. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Very interesting .. . sounds like the movie "Madmax" . . .I remember in Road & Track in the early 80's someone asking if they could do something like this with an A/C clutch . . not enought tq though . .. very curious how this all works now . . your theory sounds right but seems like it would be creating some pumping loss for the engine effecting gas mileage but just grasping :).

Were the axles a pain to recut? Was thinking about that during the night . .. I'm sure they're hard but maybe just a carbide insert is fine even with the interrrupted cut? Any concerns about the stress riser created? The stock car shafts look smaller to begin with but neckout in that area .. . they're a nice find ... . even if I was concerned about them breaking I'd run 'em with your mods and get them magnafluxed after some "testing" :) . . . all part of the fun/journey :). I dig all your work .. . how you're resisting not to rotate the motor 90 deg after all this is beyond me ;).

BTW agree extra struts on the top of the engine would help especially with the power you'll be making . .. I have a multiple camera system that I'm putting in and I want to put one on the engine just to see how much she moves . .. when I'm sitting stationary and rev the engine really hard I can feel it twitch around back there.

Cheers,

Sean

11. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    That's just the voice of experience :) . . . you'll be smiling just not aware of it :).

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher

It must click on anytime the tach gets to 3000, that is the only way it could work I think. I don't know what the MS has for aux outputs, but motec or haltch could easily be set-up to kick it on at a load and/or rpm but may take 2 channels. That is basically how I had the intercooler water pump set-up on my car, I had a MAP reading, a temp, and rpm on point set.

13. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #38 bert308, Aug 7, 2008
    You don't know me well but you will learn hehe, I don't have any fancy machinery so I just started cutting the grooves with a handsaw with steel cutting blade. Though the teeth were getting less sharp soon so I just used a thin disc in the angled grinder :) It's not very critical, I gave the CV 1 mm playroom or so and the retainers springs hold well, there is not really any force to them. I only cut through the splines so the base circle remains intact, I'm not to worried about strength loss. In the description of the axles it is said they are designed to spool up under load to reduce stress, well here is the page I bought them from: http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/susp/buggysusp%20IRS.htm
    Gee, magnafluxing? I'll just draw a straight line on them and see afterwards if the line is still straight...
    My axles are ready but it will be a while...
    Yes, the engine bay looks very inviting to a longitudinal engine, exactly my thoughts. But we have some rules over here and a SC I can unbold and even I can return the regular suspension arms (though it would look funny), it is not allowed to change the wheelbase. I discussed everything with the guy that does the yearly check on my car, he always says, everything that is not forbidden is allowed. The law has become less strict, you were not allowed to weld on "wheel guiding elements" even not replacing a rusted spring retainer on a solid rear axle but now that is allowed. "Even making your own suspension arms?" I asked, Sure he said. Wheelbase is never measured only if they suspect serious accident damage to the frame.

14. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #39 bert308, Aug 7, 2008
    Wanted to make a baseplate for the inlet on the SC, but got the bolt holes wrong. So I took a picture from distance at full tele in order to print it at real size to make a template. I ordered two used 65mm Ford Explorer 5.0 throttle bodies (idea from "wildegroot") but I better wait until they arrived so I can see how I build the inlet, either steel base plate with formed steel inlet channels to the TBs or a thick (40 mm/1.5inch) alu spacer that I will cut the channels in. At my job we have this nice green plastic stuff that is easily machined and temp resistant, they make all kinds of things from it, I could use that too maybe.

15. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #40 bert308, Aug 7, 2008
    My brother (the one that doesn't hate cars) was there today working on his Alfasud, so I could borrow his air impact wrench that he normally locks up to remove the remaining 2 engine mounts from the chassis, they spin just around in their housing if using a normal wrench. Also cleaned the engine bay with some black paint here and there, welded the trunk floor and put in dampening mats and some left over carpet, now I can throw tools and parts in there without worry. Eventually there will be black wilton whool of highest quality in there of course. Or something nice the carpet store around the corner has.

16. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    The side pockets in the trunk were the 3 side vents will be, will have an open bottom and the side vents will be "real" in the way that the openings are not closed as in the previous setup. However they will do nothing really, not even removing hot air from the rear tires because the innner wheel wells will still shield the tires. Water that enters through the side vents just drop on the street, also the rear lid vents are closed in the rear 1/3 part, don't want water in my trunk, and they drain on the drain channels and to then to the right and left side openings. There will be removable panels left and right, alu 1.5 mm with carpet glued to it, that clamp on top under the seal rubber lip. The left one will have a pocket in it for the MegaSquirt. I can remove the panels for acces and cleaning of the side pockets, dividing line is between the rear lights.

17. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    And I realized today, I will need to make an engine stand. Also realized, to remove the pistons, I need to seperate the gearbox from the engine. Obvious you might think, but I just realized today how much work that will be. The way the engine is sitting now, resting on it motor mounts, could I just unbolt the lower part and lift the engine from the gearbox section, or are there hidden things in there like oilpump? What I mean is, could it be seperated without removing the engine and/or gearbox sump cover first? Of course the bellhousing will have to removed. I better start making a clean corner in the shed I'm working for all the parts.

18. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    thanks for sharing . . . nice improv on the grinder :)

19. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Bert,

Here's my gearbox thread for refrence. Go to post 102

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166826&page=2

Yes, you have to remove the covers. There's a bolt or two inside holding the engine/tranny. I don't have any pictures of that. Sorry.

Good luck.

20. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I just read your other thread with all the cam info, and then your older thread about head removal, and then thought, I should search for your thread about gearbox separation. I should do more research before I ask, but that is because I didn't plan to even remove the engine until 1 week ago.
    Thanks!

21. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Amazing work Bert, very impressive. Yes, you can lift the motor up and away from the gearbox without removing the sump pans.

22. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I know what you mean.

All i was supposed to do was buy a Supercharger and just slap it in my 308. LOL!

23. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Ooops, sorry Bert. I gave you wrong info. :eek:

Thanks for giving him the right answer Paul.

24. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #49 bert308, Aug 8, 2008
    Thanks. I will seperate the gearbox tomorrow this way, today I decided to remove the heads first, now that the engine is standing solid on it's feet.
    Everything went well, one head more stuck than the other but could have been worse and good thing the engine was out of the car, acces to all sides was needed. The pistons and liners all looked good, I could feel no ridges and saw the crossing hone lines. Only now that I see the pictures I see the light vertical scratches. I hope I can be done with only rehoning. Should I remove the liners and take them to the engine shop and let the guy there tell me what to do? Let´s see what to do if I have the pistons out.

25. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #50 bert308, Aug 8, 2008
    Also removed all the valves from the heads. Look how that injector is looking straight at the inlet valve, begs for sequential just in time injection I know...
    All the inlet valves look nice, they will stay. So these are the infamous sodium filled exhaust valves? They look nice and innocent. On the stem it reads EL106553 E, now somebody tells me I´m lucky and they have already been replaced.
    I could wiggle the valves a bit (with the springs removed) in there guides, the outlets more than the inlets, about 0.5 mm or 0.02 inch, is that to much? All my cars (Alfas and Lancia) had this without a problem.