More Old Photos | Page 353 | FerrariChat

More Old Photos

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bertocchi, Jan 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I have found that by mixing several colors from spray cans you can come up with just about anything.I use a clean cap, start with a base color and then add different colors to get what you want.Yes you will than need to use a brush to paint.No good for outside body work but works great for small parts and interiors. tongascrew

2. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8802 MisterEcts, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ferrari 400 Superamerica Coupe Special by Pininfarina.

Photo by A. Guichard

Caption: A coupe built to special order by Farina on the 410 Superamerica Ferrari chassis. Seen in rofile, the line is light and slender, but the front is in strong contrast. Some deplored its heavy, aggressive appearance; other thought the big square grille suitably hinted at the 400 h.p. which lay behind it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunate... Some have said that there were no ugly Ferrari's.. I beg to differ...

4. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8804 MisterEcts, Apr 9, 2015
  5. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8805 MisterEcts, Apr 9, 2015
    Behra in his final season leading the field at the start of the XVII Grand Prix de Monaco.

Photo by Y. Debraine.

Caption: Starting back by the edge of our picture, the field swarms down to the Gasworks hairpin. Behra (46) is followed by Moss (30), Trintignant (32), Brabham (24), and Brooks. Shaded under the trees is Von Trips' Porsche.

48 was piloted by Hill, 50 by Brooks and the Ferrari F2 (52) in the back by Allison.

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Behra was much more a Maserati rather than a Ferrari-man.
    He was also much more successful with the cars from Modena, beating quite often the Maranello-Gang....

7. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #8807 johngtc, Apr 9, 2015
    This picture of #3767 was taken two or 3 years ago. I don't know who restored it but I assume that whoever it was did some homework, including speaking to 'Pipes' directly. The 250 LM still belongs to Piper and was photographed in 2012. His other Ferraris seem to be a similar colour and I wonder if he used different shades at different times, although I have always known it as BP green.

These photos were taken in similar weather conditions and seem to be accurate renditions of the actual colours.

8. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Just took a look at the history book, interesting that of that mass of race cars at the start only six cars finished the race and the third place car finished two laps down. I attended the next year's race, won by Sir Stirling in his grossly underpowered Lotus with Richie Ginther second and Phil Hill third in Ferraris.

9. Rossa156-63

Rossa156-63 Karting

Jan 21, 2010
    Petaluma, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Galleguillos
    The shadows under the two cars point out that the intensity of the sunlight was different and therefore giving off different "colors" of the green IMHO.

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #8810 El Wayne, Apr 9, 2015
    I'm not saying the two cars are identically colored, but not only are they under different lighting conditions, the second photo is also grossly over-saturated. Look at the grass, the various yellows, and especially the blue shirt on the man in the distance.

I've made some corrections and think that these are closer to natural colors:

11. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    You are right, that is an improvement. Thinking about it, the LM was probably under a mid day sun (I didn't attempt to correct it) while the GTO was probably late afternoon. Nonetheless, there is a difference and when I first saw the GTO I felt it was a lighter hue.

As a 'racer', Piper's cars are generally some way from a concours finish.

12. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8812 MisterEcts, Apr 9, 2015
    The following two images actually touch on the difficulties the drivers faced back then for considerably insane reasons:

Photo credit: H. Manney

Caption: The Classical Brooks, his Ferrari sporting the "shuntproof" Monao nose, was severely hampered in his driving by the poor cockpit ventilation in these latest Dinos, exhaust gases being so sapping that Tony, physically sick, didn't contest the last laps.

13. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8813 MisterEcts, Apr 9, 2015
    Photo credit: A. Guichard

Caption: Almost asphyxiated, the impetuous Hill spun his Ferrari three times, losing much time and third spot to Trintignant, who follows him by the Station.

14. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    MRECTS:

Your posted images from the 'period' & quality of image really stand out.

Thank You for posting.

Ciao !

Mick

15. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8815 MisterEcts, Apr 10, 2015
    Hello Mick,

Thank you! I'm just trying to faithfully do these amazing images justice.

Shame I have to knock down the quality so much to work with these archaic image hosting rules...

Carrying on the XVII Grand Prix de Monaco retirements theme, here is Allison in a rather unfortunate position...

Photo credit: Goode

Caption: The new six-speed F 2 Porsche, of which great things were expected, was discounted (along with its immediate competitors) rather drastically on the second lap as Trips spun at St. Devote.

Behind Allison is Hartford in the equally unlucky number 44 Lotus F2.

16. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8816 MisterEcts, Apr 10, 2015
    And finally from Monaco, Behra once more.

Photo credit: A. Guichard

Caption: Jean Behra, by virtue of his very good start, managed to stay ahead of a pressing Moss and Brabham for twenty-one laps but blew up resoundingly soon afterwards, letting his tormentors by.

17. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8817 MisterEcts, Apr 12, 2015
    Stepping back a couple years to 1956, here a 410 Superamerica at Paris.

Caption:
    Ferrari 410 Superamerica. The 5-litre 340 b.h.p. 12-cylinder chassis, one of the world's fastest, was the basis on which Pinin Farina constructed his experiment in unobstructed vision. The roof, supported at the rear, is stabilised by the windscreen. Plastic was used for the screen, but on production models, the intention is to use laminated plate glass. The low sweep of the nose promotes good front wheel adhesion at high speeds, and the rear wings are prolonged into concave tail fins.

18. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8818 MisterEcts, Apr 12, 2015
    And a fitting accompaniment to the above.

Caption:
    Ferrari 410 Superamerica. A super sports coupe by Ghia developing the basic theme established by the Gilda design study of 1955, but with a decorative front formed by the grouping of radiator grille, bumper and headlamps in a single oval assembly. Like some previous Ghia designs for American manufacturers, it develops the idea of a bumper protecting both the sides and the ends of the car. Body panels are in aluminium on a light steel frame.

Image 1/2.

19. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8819 MisterEcts, Apr 12, 2015
  20. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8820 MisterEcts, Apr 12, 2015
    1955 Ferrari 250 Europa GT Pinin Farina Coupe s/n 0373 GT at the 1956 XXVI Liege-Rome-Liege rally.

Photo credit: Junior

Caption: The two Belgian drivers Olivier Gendebien and Pierre Stasse took 3rd place in the general classification on a 3-litre Gran Turismo Ferrari. They made certain of adequate illumination on the night sections.

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  22. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8822 MisterEcts, Apr 13, 2015
    My pleasure Scuderia. :)

IV Gran Premio de la Republica Argentina
    Buenos Aires, 26th January 1956

Photo credit: R. Kirbus

Caption: At the first corner after the start, Musso (Lancia-Ferrari) leads, followed by Gonzalez (Maserati), Castellotti (Lancia-Ferrari) and Menditeguy (Maserati). Fangio, the favourite, (No. 30) is running eighth.

23. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8823 MisterEcts, Apr 13, 2015

Caption: At 26 laps, Fangio spun and left the track. Immediately a number of people rushed to help him re-start. Sig. Ugolini, Maserati's racing manager demanded Fangio's disqualification, but his protest was rejected both by the Argentine Automobile Club and the F.I.A., as it was held that Fangio had been pushed by officials who were authorised to help competitors. In Argentine, some parts of the course seem to be lined with such officials!

24. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8824 MisterEcts, Apr 13, 2015

Caption: After 24 laps, Fangio, whose car seemed to be short of power, stopped at the pits and took over Musso's car (No. 34). Here he is getting into the car, while Musso watches the mechanics at work on the car which Fangio has left him.

25. MisterEcts

MisterEcts Karting

Apr 8, 2015
    #8825 MisterEcts, Apr 13, 2015
    Le XIV Grand Prix de Monaco
    Monte Carlo, May 13th, 1956

20 - Juan Manuel Fangio, 28 - Stirling Moss, 22 - Eugenio Castellotti
    30 - Jean Behra, 24 - Luigi Musso, 16 - Harry Schell
    10 - Mike Hawthorn, 26 Peter Collins, 32 - Cesare Perdisa

No credit or caption.